cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

JUst how many GB are needed?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK I read a bunch of email, or at least glance at them. Over a hundred a day. Look at half a dozen news websites with little or no video. Every day. My wife does whatever she does on FB for 15 or 20 minutes a day.

Just how many GB will I need? I have not set up a hotspot on my phone tho it has the ability but want to do so. So I'm trying to get a feel for this.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
22 REPLIES 22

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
My PHone just told me I"d hit 80 gigs since the 12th of the month.
curious... do you stream much?

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My PHone just told me I"d hit 80 gigs since the 12th of the month.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Am I miss reading the info from the cell company, just what, for example is 6/GB. 6/GB Day....6/GB month? The month figure seems to be worthless. Even the 'unlimited' package I'm looking at is 22/GB per/?

6 gig per billing period which is generally a month. 22 gig โ€˜unlimitedโ€™ means either throttling or dropping your priority if the tower is congested.

When Iโ€™m not working we run through 6 gig/month. When Iโ€™m working we use our unlimited Mobley account and average 25 gig/month. We donโ€™t watch videos, the killer is Win10 updates when they annoy me enough to do them.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Those are all 'per month' figures. The 22 gig may just throttle. On Sasktel throttle is to 2meg per second after 30 gigs--good enough for netflix. Most others are 512. (.512 meg). That makes video a bit harder to do.

agesilaus wrote:
Am I miss reading the info from the cell company, just what, for example is 6/GB. 6/GB Day....6/GB month? The month figure seems to be worthless. Even the 'unlimited' package I'm looking at is 22/GB per/?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
parkmanaa wrote:
I own an RV park with free WIFI (a very fast, dependable system, I might add

After reading this thread just being curious I looked at our tracking system
for usage of the top 25 users for last 30 days.
Highest user: 96.13 GB in 30 days.
Lowest user : 21.08 GB in 30 days.
Avg. for these 25: 46.83 GB

Just for info.

Great info and congrats on having good WIFI! Not many parks have good WIFI throughout and I certainly understand how difficult and costly it can be to do this.

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
I own an RV park with free WIFI (a very fast, dependable system, I might add

After reading this thread just being curious I looked at our tracking system
for usage of the top 25 users for last 30 days.
Highest user: 96.13 GB in 30 days.
Lowest user : 21.08 GB in 30 days.
Avg. for these 25: 46.83 GB

Just for info.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on T mobile and I had them add hotspot for $15 a month. Sooooo much better than campground wifi. Just as fast as a cable connection.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an unlimited data plan on our hotspot, now. However, prior to getting the unlimited plan, our usage was just what you are describing (two laptops on the hotspot, two phones, lots of email, forums, Facebook and news sites with a few videos, plus some photos and videos of the grandkids). We had a 22GB plan at the time and typically used between 1/2 and 2/3 of our data allowance.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Updates to phones, computers, tablets, and antivirus will need data too. It can be considerable.

Also if you leave devices connected to your hotspot while youโ€™re not using them, theyโ€™ll sit there and update newsfeeds, and every app in the world is written to report on you back to the mothership.

Apps like Facebook need to be completely killed if you donโ€™t want it consuming data in the background 24/7. Or set all such apps to have internet access only when in use.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't do anything more than it sounds like you do except my wife and I do play some of the games on Facebook. I don't think I have ever used less than 50 GB/month. When I changed computers and had to updated everything I used about 100 GB that month. We full time and a cellular connection is our only option so everything runs through or MiFi.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
On an Android smartphone you can get a close estimation on usage from the phone itself.
Touch settings, then touch network and internet,
This should be the screen that then allows you to do any of the following,
Turn on wifi
Turn on Hotspot
and one spot should show data usage. If you touch that you can set the dates for the data cycle to whatever ones you wish, and then monitor the amount used from this screen whenever you wish.
Just use the hotspot for your e mail and news reading a few days and you should have a good idea.
The phones measured data may be a little off as compared to the carrier, but they usually are withing 5% or so.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
We spend summers at our cottage. The only internet available is cell. We use between 6 and 10 GB a month. Anything over that gets very expensive.
Its just enough to live by. No YouTube, videos or huge attachments etc.
I get my fill of news everyday, keep in touch with family.

My favourite news app for this is called Newsflash. You can set it to text only and have just the headlines showing.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/newsflash/id472447733

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Xfinity/Comcast will tell you your use if you logon and check. Other internet providers might do that as well.