cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

King Wifimax - work with cell signal?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Our New FW comes with a King Wifimax system. I work remote and actually thought this would be of some benefit. After doing some research it looks like this system only boosts an existing wifi but won't do a thing to boost a signal to my hotspot. Am I correct? Sounds like what I really need is a we boost or some other type of cellular booster.

Is there any way to leverage the installed system to do more than boost CG wifi?

Frankly I am not sure I understand the benefit of this system. Granted, CG wifi probably has a poor signal depending on your spot, but most of the issues with CG wifi is bandwith share not signal strength. Boosting a throttled signal doesn't really get you anywhere. Unless it can boost a cellular signal I am not sure I see the benefit to me.

Maybe I can leverage the chases and wiring to install a Weboost.

Thoughts? Help?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
7 REPLIES 7

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
shastagary wrote:
this youtube video may help king extend
it needs to be set up with the antennas far enough apart and she says its a repackaged weboost Licensed by weBoost.
there are other videos about testing and installation.

Thanks for the video. So the King Extend is actually a re-branded version of the previous model of We-boost. Despite being the previous version, weboost is highly regarded and I'll take it since it's already installed.

Curious to see how well it works.

way2roll wrote:
Looks like the RV also comes with the King LTE booster. The dealer thought it required it's own SIM card and activation. If I understand the weboost doesn't need it's own plan, it simply boosts a signal to devices already on your plan. Is that right? If I am paying for a plan on a hotspot why would I want to limit that plan to the RV only? It's a bit like only being able to use your cell phone at your house. Can I exchange the SIM card in the hotspot and use it in the King booster, or is the SIM specific to the device?

On edit: I just read this on King's website:
The KING Extend boosts voice and data range, works with all U.S. carriers, and does not require an extra monthly service.

So does this thing work just like weboost?

My daughter has that in her new Vibe and it works as a BOOSTER... She turns it on, connects to my hotspot with it, it boosts the signal and is password protected for her and her family... While we were away for July 4th, they were next to us and piggy backed off our wifi the whole time with a full signal.

they tested it in their driveway,,, house wifi signal was weak at best on the phone, turned on the king and had almost full signal

They are very pleased with it
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
this youtube video may help king extend
it needs to be set up with the antennas far enough apart and she says its a repackaged weboost Licensed by weBoost.
there are other videos about testing and installation.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Looks like the RV also comes with the King LTE booster. The dealer thought it required it's own SIM card and activation. If I understand the weboost doesn't need it's own plan, it simply boosts a signal to devices already on your plan. Is that right? If I am paying for a plan on a hotspot why would I want to limit that plan to the RV only? It's a bit like only being able to use your cell phone at your house. Can I exchange the SIM card in the hotspot and use it in the King booster, or is the SIM specific to the device?

On edit: I just read this on King's website:
The KING Extend boosts voice and data range, works with all U.S. carriers, and does not require an extra monthly service.

So does this thing work just like weboost?

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
the wifimax system will help you get a better connection to the campground wifi the stronger your connection to the campground wifi the faster your connection speed will be if there is any bandwidth in the campground left to get.
your laptop or cellphone do not transmit as strong a wifi signal than the wifimax does or there batteries would not last very long with a stronger wifi signal output plus the small wifi antennas built into them does not help either.
it will do nothing to help your hotspot connection to the cell tower.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
A Weboost will help some, but your best bet is simply to be in an area with good cell service.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
It may also help if you overnight at a Cracker Barrel or other location that offers wifi, but that's about it.
I have seen some you tubers talk about getting wifi from a fast food joint from a hundred or more yards away, but thats a pretty sad way to have to travel just for internet access.