cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laser printer/scanner recommendation?

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I would like to add a color laser printer/scanner/copier to my pickup camper. Looking for recommendations/experiences on what to get or what not to get. Sometimes I have to do work from the road that involves printing and scanning. Quality scans of documents are important for my business, I can't use my cell phone for that.

Since I am in a pickup camper, compactness is important. Up to a 16" x 18" footprint would be preferred, smaller being better.

Rugged enough to survive the rough roads.

Is there something that I can print wirelessly directly from my laptop PC, or do I need to buy and set up some type of network equipment?

I want laser because my ink jet kept drying up from lack of use. Separate color and b&w cartridges would be a plus.

A (reliable) document feeder would be a big plus.

I used to have an HP inkjet that was constantly doing popups and was trying to sell me stuff. The HP software was like a virus that I couldn't get rid of, and was consuming my computers resources in the background, slowing it down. I don't want anything annoying like that.

I want something that does not connect to the cloud or the web unless I tell it to, and will function completely off line.

When I have to interrupt my vacations for work, I like to jump in, do it, jump out. No time for fiddling for hours with unreliable software/connectivity snafu's.

I have a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter for power.

I'm hoping to stay under $600ish.

What do you recommend?

Thanks, Joel
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.
13 REPLIES 13

I've had very good luck with Brother laser printers and have experienced no failures. When the toner indicates out, I just reset the cartridge and keep printing. Have discovered that there must be a significant amount of toner still intact, as I can keep printing quite a number of pages before the quality degrades.

I've only used aftermarket toner and have had no problems. In fact, our IT printer tech at my office only buys aftermarket HP compatible color toner cartridges. Have experienced no degradation in print quality. Saves a significant expense over HP toner. BTW, my office is no small operation, part of the largest organization of its kind in the world.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It scans in color but has no way to print in color, which I thought you wanted. You can't print a scanned page in color.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I spent way too much time searching for something that met all of my criteria. I don't think it exists. So I pulled the trigger on a Cannon imageCLASS MF3010 VP. It doesn't have wireless, or a document feeder, and it prints in black only but scans in color. But it is very compact at 10.9 x 14.7 x 10 inches, and only weighs 14 pounds. And it was only $120. It will be easy to stow away, and dig it out and put it on the table only when needed.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and the time you all took to answer! Joel
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
For about six years, what is now our RV was my office (and more). I have had a color laser in the home office all that time and loved it, but it is power hungry and huge. Admittedly, I always saved the big printing jobs for when I got home, but having the multi-function onboard was a terrific help.

Toner for the laser lasts a long time, but is also seriously expensive.

Ink for the little ink jet is also expensive, but this one has the print head as part of the cartridge. This is good and bad. That makes them expensive, but it also means that if a print head clogs, you can try cleaning it really fast (about a 50% success rate), or change it out to get on with the required printing.

Space and storeage in the coach are at a premium. The ink jet could stow its cables (it was not wireless), and it could run off the tiny inverter forever (we didn't have the big inverter then). It lived under the towels in the linnen cabinet when not in use. This was all in Michigan and I never had a cartridge dry out before it ran out.

You are going to have to do your own market research, because both of my printers are out of production.

Before you get too far along, look at your schedule C and remember that you can deduct the cost of the printer and supplies right up front.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"NEVER, EVER use aftermarket (cheap, refilled, non OEM) toner cartridges.
They have caused many problems over the years that I've been working in the IT industry (since 2001)."

This may be true for HP printers, which is why I don't care for HP and quit using them 20 years ago, but aftermarket toner cartridges for my Brother printer work just fine. Bother cartridges aren't all that expensive, but the aftermarket ones are even cheaper and work fine for me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Hemi Joel wrote:
I used to have an HP inkjet that was constantly doing popups and was trying to sell me stuff. The HP software was like a virus that I couldn't get rid of, and was consuming my computers resources in the background, slowing it down. I don't want anything annoying like that.

The key here is to not install the software from the CD when you set up the printer. Just go to control panel, devices and printer, add new printer, then when you get to the screen to tell Windows which brand/model printer you have, browse the CD for the driver, then Windows will only install the drivers.

Better yet, download the latest package of drivers from HP and do the "driver only" download, not the "software and driver" download.

For SCANNING function, you will likely have to install the scanning software from HP.
I've never used the scan function built into Windows, so I can't say what it's capable of.

Hemi Joel wrote:
I want something that does not connect to the cloud or the web unless I tell it to, and will function completely off line.

See my info above.
The only time a printer should try to talk to the internet is if the software for the printer is installed.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The organization I work for uses HP laser printers exclusively. I bet we have 400 printers, of varying models, all from HP.
The previous org also used them.
THey always have been very reliable.

I have an HP 1102 laser printer that has traveled in my truck camper for 8+ years and I've never had a toner leak issue.
It usually goes in a plastic tote in my truck cab, then I move it to the camper when I reach my destination. It lives in the camper until I get home. I use the tote to transport it from the house to the truck camper because I use it at home too.

The HP M110WE Laser Jet is similar in size to what I have.
It's nice and compact.

Hemi Joel wrote:
Is there something that I can print wirelessly directly from my laptop PC, or do I need to buy and set up some type of network equipment?

Since you want scanning capabilities, you will need to connect the laptop to the printer via USB. Even for printing, USB is a more foolproof solution. It works. Always.

Costco has a nice HP MFP Color Laserjet that I'm tempted to buy.
It's $100 off when ordered online right now.

MFP = Multi Function Printer (aka printer, scanner, fax)

HP Laserjet M283cdw at Costco

NEVER, EVER use aftermarket (cheap, refilled, non OEM) toner cartridges.
They have caused many problems over the years that I've been working in the IT industry (since 2001).
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another HP printer. Toner is available every for them, including Amazon and ebay.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Hemi Joel wrote:

This is a BIG issue ! Toner cartridges have very fine (like talcum powder) toner. Bounced around it could leak out making a mess. You can not vacuum toner ! It will blow right through the vacuum bag !

Also, if your cab gets very hot, the toner is likely to clump together.

we carried our Samsung laser (see my earlrier post) in an overhead cabinet in two motorhomes for many years in all kinds of weather and and never experienced any of the problems you describe. luck?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've used a Cannon laser printer for years now, no issues. 15 years ago I cut the wires and have been wireless ever since.

Why not visit electronic stores, Costco, Wallmart etc and see what they recommend? There is a variety of equipment available including online of course.

Be interesting to see what you find.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Hemi Joel wrote:

This is a BIG issue ! Toner cartridges have very fine (like talcum powder) toner. Bounced around it could leak out making a mess. You can not vacuum toner ! It will blow right through the vacuum bag !

Also, if your cab gets very hot, the toner is likely to clump together.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think this Brother color laser printer meets all of your requirements. It is the one I would get if I needed a color printer. As it is my B&W Brother Laser has been flawless for the past several years so don't need a new one.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Brother is now our go-to brand for printers here at home. but in the RV we carried a small Samsung B&W laser, model M2020W. measures 13" wide by 8" deep. we chose a laser for reliability...no clogged ink nozzles. and that particular printer for its size.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no experience with color laser printers, but I've had a couple of Brother laser printers and have been very happy with them. They do the job and the toner cartridges are cheaper than HP. Just my experience with Brother, don't know about the color lasers. Not much help I know, but I like the Brother. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"