cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Libre Office Comments Please

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Building new Win 10 computer and am considering using Libre Office rather than Microsoft Office. If you are using Libre Office I would very much appreciate your comments pro and con and especially on compatibility with MS Office as I have a lot of files saved. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

I been using Libre Office for many years, though will likely switch to MS Office 360 as our enterprise license at work, allows it to be also installed for personal home use. If I had to pay for it, I'd stick with Libre.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Openoffice and Libre are fine. I use Google docs these days.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try it. If you don't like it - delete it and get MS Office. I have used it for quite a few years and have had no problems with it.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

randy328
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Libre Office for years, there are some MS Office created files that don't work properly (like some with macros and vb scripts like CloudDriver mentioned), but most do. Simple Word/Excel files are fine.

I have found some media that plays in an MS Powerpoint presentation won't run in Libre's Impress.

For the price (free!), it's definitely worth it.
KZ MXT2920, Ford F250 4dr long bed
Bunch of Motorcycles - Track Instruction and Race
German Shepherd "Qorkey"

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure that Libre Office will not run MS Office macros and Visual Basic scripts. If the OP's existing MS Office files were created without these items all should work just fine.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Another Libre user of long standing. I followed along when Libre branched from Open Office, and have never looked back. If I want to make sure a document displays properly to everyone that gets it regardless of the operating system or document app, I export it from Libre as a PDF file.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Open Office for me. No problems with it, but I use it mainly to read MS Office files created by other sources. I rarely create any MS Office type files myself, so I'm not really what you'd call a "power user".
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Libre Office for years...through many, many updates. I use it for lots of complicated documents, spread sheets and presentations.. It's never let me down.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your responses. I think I will give Libre Office a go.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind gray market, used Office licenses are dirt cheap on eBay.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
These posts have Libre in them.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
I have Libre Office 5 that came along with a version of Linux that I installed on a old laptop. I have not used it much but it appears to very close to MS Office. I have used both the spreadsheet and word processor with Office files and have had no issues so far. Really only limited use though - I am not a power user.

Terry

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Years ago I used both Libre and Open Office with various degrees of success. They both seem to be very compatible but they are not identical. I would run into issues when sharing files between friends that had full MS Office, mostly as I remember, in the area of fonts, formats, You should not have any significant issue if you open an Excel file as an example in LIbre, but be prepared to adjust cell sizes, print breaks, and a few other things.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT