cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lithium system for larger RV, maybe?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Stumbled across this while watching videos from a guy who builds nock-off Tesla powerwall systems for industrial customers.

http://mailchi.mp/b2a6c63afd24/13kwh-diy-powewall-deal

4kw 48v Magnum PSW and 13kWh of prototype Bosch Energy lithium power cells.

Three kilobucks plus shipping... I spent 2500 on my tiny lead-acid + and 2.8kw Magnum system... kicking myself - such is march of technology.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
9 REPLIES 9

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if you are creative and know what you are doing you can probably find a written off 2013 Smart ED. It has an 18 KWH battery on board. It is not that much bigger than what I'm looking at there. IT literally fits under the floor of the smart. For size reference, here is Angelas smart ED daily driver. After more than two years we are seeing about 1.8 percent degradation in the first year and another 1.4 percent in the year and a half since then. For someone that knows what they are doing it might be a fun project for a large motorhome. An 18 KW battery pack would be amazing.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Wiki article on LiIon battery technology

Wiki says both types are inherently safe but that Lithium Nickel Cobalt Maganese is the leading contender for automotive applications.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Just be aware these are not LiFePO4 cells but are Lithium Nickel Cobalt Manganese. A very different type of Lithium cell.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful progress. More to come I believe.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MrWizard
that inverter approx 14" by 13" foot print
eyeball measurement, would make that BANK approx 36" deep by 24" wide
just compare the 14" side of the magnum to width of the back of those cells
2 cells plus 1 row from the next
makes those cell about 6" wide and 9" deep

array is at least 36*24

very nice price though for lithium
website says $145 per 60AH 18.5v cluster/cell

20# per cluster/unit 240# for the complete array
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

It's a good sign, the days of affordable lithium replacements for lead acid are getting closer.
Years perhaps.. yes. I'm a big fan. I got rid of a lot of weight.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
That *is* an amazing price. I paid around $5k. Do they take up that much room as shown?

They look to be about 4 inches "tall", 6 inches wide and 12 inches long? So maybe three of them stacked would be the same footprint as a G31 or slightly larger lead acid? At 20 lbs each, three of them would weight the same as a G31 too.

It's a good sign, the days of affordable lithium replacements for lead acid are getting closer.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
That *is* an amazing price. I paid around $5k. Do they take up that much room as shown?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gordon Three,

All I can say is "wow". That is an amazing price.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.