cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mircrosoft Account

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
I have two laptops with Microsoft accounts if I take one laptop off the account will the other laptop still be on the account ?
I use my netbook laptop on the road using free WiFi and don't want it to share with my main computer that I use at home for mail and banking for security reasons. If I was to get a virus or malware from free WiFi I don't want it on my home computer. I do use AVG and Malware on both laptops.
J herb
8 REPLIES 8

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
strollin
J herb wrote:
OP here
When I went from windows 7 to windows 10 on my ACER netbook laptop it put the same desktop picture, log in and pictures that are on my HP laptop with 8.1 with out me doing it.

I use the netbook laptop for trips, I keep MS /ST mapping , campground info, sites to find CGs,
weather , a few blogs and some RV sites along with some pictures and to find local info.

I don't use the netbook for e-mail or any thing that https is required no secure sites used.
I will remove the netbook laptop from MS account and hope that everything will be OK. Again thanks for all your help. Jay

Read the whole thread and it doesn't look like you got ANY help that addressed your issue.

Go to Settings->Accounts->Sync your settings. There, you can turn off syncing between computers all-together or you can decide which items you want to be synced. I personally have syncing turned off.

You can remove a computer from your account but it's a round about way of doing what you want to do.

OP here,
strollin thank you for the come back with some good info,but I went and did a way with the Microsoft account and so far things are working well. Jay
J herb

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
J herb wrote:
OP here
When I went from windows 7 to windows 10 on my ACER netbook laptop it put the same desktop picture, log in and pictures that are on my HP laptop with 8.1 with out me doing it.

I use the netbook laptop for trips, I keep MS /ST mapping , campground info, sites to find CGs,
weather , a few blogs and some RV sites along with some pictures and to find local info.

I don't use the netbook for e-mail or any thing that https is required no secure sites used.
I will remove the netbook laptop from MS account and hope that everything will be OK. Again thanks for all your help. Jay

Read the whole thread and it doesn't look like you got ANY help that addressed your issue.

Go to Settings->Accounts->Sync your settings. There, you can turn off syncing between computers all-together or you can decide which items you want to be synced. I personally have syncing turned off.

You can remove a computer from your account but it's a round about way of doing what you want to do.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have two Windows 10 machines sitting side by side both sucking off the same sub router, which in turn is connected to the park's free wi-fi (Working on the secure side, but the installer screwed that up).

I have had several cases where my backup Anti-Virals has found mostly PUPs that appeared only one one machine and one genuine infection that the Anti-Viral and I worked together to kill off that also appeared on only one machine.

So I do not think Malware crosses via Microsoft accounts.

Suggestion all Windows 10 folks.. Go to the STORE and type in US Constitution, Download, Read.. You can also get the Declaration of Independence. Good reading, nto as long as most folks think.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
OP here

J herb

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any of my machines on MS accounts. There really isn't a need to.

The issue with free WiFi isn't because of the possibility of malware. It's because open WiFi (that which does not require a key) is not encrypted and can easily be sniffed by other not-so-nice patrons using the same free WiFi.

All you passwords for things like social networking, your email, etc. may be able to be viewed in clear text. Just because a site uses HTTPS at the beginning doesn't mean they use it once you are logged in. Many sites don't.

Add a web filtering tool to your laptop to filter out known malware and phishing sites. http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

I think I have at least 5 notebooks/tablets on one Microsoft account. Not a problem to remove a computer from the account.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You can setup a login to any PC you use with your MS account. That doesn't mean that the two computers are synchronized! What you do on one won't be on the other...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your anti virus is up to date and don't worry about it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu