cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Television

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have not bought a new TV in about ten years. We're putting the old one in the RV and buy new for home. What should we look for in specs to tell us we're buying the right technology for home?

We watch mostly sports and movies. We will probably enroll in some streaming types services too. Not even sure what to ask here. We have Cable ISP - Comcast Xfinity - that comes with our HOA, and we have Smart Phones with unlimited data - not sure how that works with the streaming access, if it does.

Not looking to break the bank, but don't want to buy technology that's on it's last legs and will be soon replaced by the 'next version' of something. We have 43 inch now, will probably go bigger a notch or two.

ON Edit - we'll probably get some wireless speakers to replace what we have (two wired) and connect in a surround type auditory. Nothing major or real fancy ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
23 REPLIES 23

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Was surprised to see/know about the Organic components... when I read that, I envisioned some future TV screens with a buncha rainbow fireflies behind a flat glass screen shooting off the correct color in sequence. The firefly dance ๐Ÿ™‚ Imagine that, we could grow our own TV's ...

Altho, I understand computers have been developing the organic components for awhile, particularly in military applications, I had no clue it's adaptable to consumer motion and TV screens.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

My first choice would have been Panasonic, but they left the U.S. consumer market in 2016. You can still get them on the industrial market.

We have an older Panasonic plasma monitor in our office that's run for 15 years 24hrs/365dys, while all other brands burned out their power supplies long ago. Before my IT office got it, it was used as a signage monitor in our building. The problem is that it's an SD monitor, and I want to have our AV dept. swap it out with my supervisors 55" 4K monitor once he gets his new 65" 4K. It will match up with the same 55" 4K monitor next to the Panasonic now. When we will all get back in the office in another question?

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
1492 wrote:
Actually, I said 'relatively' new? OLED is still in its early generation. There are questions of OLED longevity as it uses organic based LED which reportedly degrades unevenly over time, part of the problem. Some manufacturer released firmware have also resulted in known loss of brightness by users in some display modes? The next generation of OLED is coming as early as this year, and should address some these issues with earlier models.

That's kinda what I read about the OLED, and why we decided on the QLED. We're not big TV watchers ... and not gamers or in need of the most refined and newest gadgets.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Actually, I said 'relatively' new? OLED is still in its early generation. There are questions of OLED longevity as it uses organic based LED which reportedly degrades unevenly over time, part of the problem. Some manufacturer released firmware have also resulted in known loss of brightness by users in some display modes? The next generation of OLED is coming as early as this year, and should address some these issues with earlier models.

So, yes, my recommendation was to wait and instead went with a solution that was near comparable, along with high-brightness (>750 nits) 4K display which was his preference. In any case, the U.S. taxpayers are paying for it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
ordered the Samsung QN55Q80TA 55" w-HW800T sound bar. Comes as a package ....- now, if we can only figure out the technology and make it work once it gets here.
Good choice. I got the 75" and wish I'd gone bigger, but it was another 2 grand for 8 more inches. Watching space videos or tropical island tours by drone at 4k is really something on these new screens! Makes HD look old school.

If it's like my Sam there's really nothing to figure out. Just whatever source you want to watch from. All the apps should be there when you get it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
1492 wrote:
When my supervisor was looking for a 65" 4K TV replacement for his office, I didn't recommend going with OLED/QLED, though the picture quality in my opinion was awesome. The problem was that it's still relatively new technology, with known long term burn-in pixel issues. I think they will improve as time goes on, though will wait until they do so.

there 4 years old now, in the tv and screen world that isnt anywhere near being concidered new tech. I could see holding off on the first year of a new type if screen. I have had the samesung for three years now and it is nice, just wish I got a bigger one.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

When my supervisor was looking for a 65" 4K TV replacement for his office, I didn't recommend going with OLED/QLED, though the picture quality in my opinion was awesome. The problem was that it's still relatively new technology, with known long term burn-in pixel issues. I think they will improve as time goes on, though will wait until they do so.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We read lots of reviews, read about the technology, listened to RV.net folks ... and finally decided and ordered the Samsung QN55Q80TA 55" w-HW800T sound bar. Comes as a package ...

We have several Samsung TV's in the home now, and both Samsung phones and have always had good luck with that brand. We looked seriously at the LG setup also - tough decision. Thanks once again for the advice - now, if we can only figure out the technology and make it work once it gets here. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ M44
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
One other question: If we buy a Fire Stick or a Roku, or some other device, it requires a WIFI connection to work. RIGHT??

These devices do not independently contain a WIFI of their own, like some of the Kindle devices? True? We need a WIFI service for it to connect and download content.

IF so, will a smart phone hotspot work? If we take that device on the road? Thanks M44
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Monkey, one thing I have noticed with the LG OLED, no matter where I sit in the living room the picture view and quality is outstanding, far better than the LED set it replaced. Reflection and glare are greatly reduced as well.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
HAHAHA - thomasmnile ... you live right around the corner ... I'm go buy it, and you can come set it up for me .... ๐Ÿ™‚ You do the set-up, I'll do the cussing for you.

Yeah - that one at BH is CX, probably at BB too. I'd go that one, for sure. I fight electronic set-up all the time, have limited tech ability, so just fight thru it. Trial and error, mostly error. ๐Ÿ™‚
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Monkey, we bought the LG 55 BX series in December from Best Buy. The CX series is pretty much the same TV except the processor in the CX is better. Price difference between BX & CX was about $200 as I recall. If you're looking for latest/greatest, the CX would be your TV. As far as as smart TV's, it is and can lead to some confounding moments on the learning curve. I am not fond of LG'S "Magic Remote", only magic to me was increased cussing using it and it doesn't totally play well or easily with other connected devices. So I continue to use the Logitech Harmony 665, which is familiar to both of us and controls everything connected seamlessly. I replace our old Sony HT 150 home theater with an LG SN8YG soundbar/wireless subwoofer.
It works great once the speakers were paired. Almost felt I needed a degree from MIT to hook everything and get it running, but we're loving it now.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Update - thinking if size - probably put the 43 inch in office, and put office 32 inch in TC ... duh. We have a truck camper.

Anyway, looking at Samsung, seems no OLED only QLED ... But, LG OLED gets huge good reviews. Reading around a bit, OLED seems better then QLED at this point in development.

I like our Samsung a lot, but looked at LG 55 OLED and it appears to have 4 HDMI 2.1 Type A ... and three USB connectors - only 2.0 if that matters?

LG CXPUA 55" Class HDR 4K UHD Smart OLED TV

At B&H photo, where I do a lot of photo equip business... and no tax. ๐Ÿ™‚
BH #LGOLED55CXPU โ€ข MFR #OLED55CXPUA
1700 Reviews five star - and Questions w answer seem very positive.

Any comments? Thanks M44
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ROKU....all the time, all the way.
TCL is worth every penny and more.