cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norton or Mcafee what is better? Up date

DKean
Explorer
Explorer
Anti male ware/virus protection. Which one is better?
We now have a 2018 Ford Explorer,2wheel drive.
23 REPLIES 23

DKean
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Avast. Can't beat free.
Yesterday my wife tried to buy Norton at wal-mart. The store couldn't ring it up. When they scanned it,the register said it was corrupt. They said this happened before and had to send all of the Norton's back to Norton. So Norton can't protect their product in their factory. That doesn't sound good.:h
I ran a virus scan with Avast and it says all viruses are gone and malware-bites says malware is gone.
I up graded the avast to a paid subscription for two years. I guess I'm getting gun shy.

Thank you all for your help.
We now have a 2018 Ford Explorer,2wheel drive.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use Trend Micro and it was fine. Now I have for free, Microsoft Security Essentials. Zero issues.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
I have used both in the past. Would not use either one again.

x2
Kevin

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I have used both in the past. Would not use either one again. Both real slow things down and are a pain. Norton allowed a known virus in once and " helped " me get rid of it to the tune of $99.00.

I Use Avira and Malwarebytes now.

Bluegrass_Range
Explorer
Explorer
I have used both in the past but they got very expensive. I now use AVG on all my devices. Of the two I would use McAfee.
1988 22' Nomad
2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L

Eric, Sue & the Boys
19 year old
17 year old

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Bitdefender
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Norton. FYI, Homeland Security is requiring that all federal agencies get Kapersky software off their computers.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not all that thrilled with either as they are kind of BIG now days.

But I will NEVER buy from McCaffee. HERE IS WHY.

WHen they both first hit the market, I theorised that one or the other might be, shall we say "Seeding the market". Of course it was all theory.. back then.

When I upgraded my amateur license to Extra I first started with a Gordon West book.. Well that did not help me that much. So I took a class, the class used the ARRL book.. Now that one was much better (NOTE The Gordon West book was useful. but as a "Review" more than a study guide, for me.. I'm told this is because I am, already, a certified electronics technician.. NON technicians I'm told do better with the GW book)

Well that was "Aside". Back to topic.. The Teacher, who is a friend of Peter Norton.. Told me who the professor was that McCaffee hired to write and release virus programs to the net so they would have a "head start" on Norton when it came to protecting against them.. Of course they no longer do that today..
But they started that way. Or so claims my teacher.

He also says Peter Norton would NEVER do such a thing.. I have no reason to doubt him.

Thus I'd recommend Norton over McAffee even if I use something else.

NOTE: I do not choose to give away the name of what i use.

I also once ticked off a bunch of 13 year old hackers you see. And though they are adults now.. Why take the chance.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend neither. Malwarebytes is my old standby.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
ThomBoles wrote:
If you want "free" then look at Avast. I've used that for about 10 years now with no problems.

X2
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
DKean wrote:
Anti male ware/virus protection. Which one is better?

I dumped Symantec in favor of ioBit's Malware Fighter and Advanced System Care. before deciding give them a look.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Your best defense is to be a wise and informed user of email and the net; virus and malware protection is secondary.
Lynn

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Avast.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
At my age, everything slows me down... except sleeping.

I've used Norton for years, no issue other than their irritating ads for Life Lock.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB