cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Read Aloud Books -- follow the bouncing ball

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
My six and eight-year-old grandchildren will be traveling with me most of this summer. At home we often check books out of the library and read to the children. Reading to the children is not practical while driving down the road. Since I have unlimited data with my Mobley mobile hotspot, I am looking for a website that has online read along books. I have found a number of books in a YouTube format. However, I am looking for books that have โ€œfollow the bouncing ballโ€ or other highlighting methods to mark the words as they are being read. Any information is welcome.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
13 REPLIES 13

As mentioned by Wa8yxm, screen readers will do just that. Most all digital OS devices have a screen reader built-in as part of accessibility. It will highlight text as it's being read. You need to locate the specific reader being used by your device. You may also be able to adjust settings such as text-to-speech speed and highlight color.

Here's a short example video of your forum post being read by WIN 10 built-in screen reader Narrator (Windows Key + CTRL+ Enter) - WATCH VIDEO.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
1492 wrote:
Most any PC/laptop/tablet has some type of text-to-voice function due to accessibility guidelines. So should be able to read aloud digital books.

You may have to search for the settings or app in your particular situation.

Yes, but no bouncing ball
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Most any PC/laptop/tablet has some type of text-to-voice function due to accessibility guidelines. So should be able to read aloud digital books.

You may have to search for the settings or app in your particular situation.

Kaden_Parker
Explorer
Explorer
Great, thanks! Friends, I started playing video games recently and I really like playing football simulators. I also play Real money online pokies, about which I read information and reviews on the website https://pokiesman.com/real-money-pokies This helps me find the best and most interesting option.

MrWizard
You like to read to the grand kids
Why not play "audio books " tape or disc
Or use "Audible" on the phone to read them to the kids,
There is no difference except it's not your voice, they are listening too.
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dick_B wrote:
Not to be a wet blanket but can one read and ride at the same time without experiencing motion sickness?
Another possible idea is old time radio cd's; no bad words, no sex, and use of a child's imagination which far exceeds any written material. If interested check out Radio Archives.com.
No, I don't work for them...

yes one can read and ride without motion sickness.. If you'd like to see proof pick me up and I'll read while you drive. Easy.

BUT. then.... I really love reading.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Ditto on the travel games. The License Plate Game and the Alphabet Game were my family's favorites when I was growing up and later with my own kids. Also singing together.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Not to be a wet blanket but can one read and ride at the same time without experiencing motion sickness?
Another possible idea is old time radio cd's; no bad words, no sex, and use of a child's imagination which far exceeds any written material. If interested check out Radio Archives.com.

I agree. Reading is great but,I think kids spend enough time staring at screens.
Maybe some of the old traveling games where kids looked for different trucks, vehicles, buildings, animals, etc. would be more enjoyable while traveling?
They could see the country and use their imaginations.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Drama from BBC is a favorite source for me.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are out there, I bought/borrowed some for my great-granddaughter some years ago. They had the option of "follow the bouncing ball" thingy, with spoken work.

I'll do some looking and see if I can find what they were.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
That's a great idea. It's a wonder someone doesn't have an app for a tablet that does this. Maybe there is?

That said it's wonderful that you are exposing them to books and trying to do so while traveling. Much better than putting videos in front of them and letting them zone out.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might have a product idea there.

I have seen screen readers that highlight the word being read.. but .. That may have been on a Commodore 64 it has been that long.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times