cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Trip Wizard Low Bridge Issue

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend, we encountered a low bridge that was not indicated in the RV Trip Wizard program. Let this serve as a reminder that although it's a tool, it's not perfect. Had I not been paying attention, I would have taken the top off my 5th Wheel. The bridge was on a secondary Lake Road just around the bend from the sign advising of the bridge so the bridge wasn't in sight prior to coming up on it. Had I missed the sign, I would have been lucky to stop before hitting it and even if I got stopped in time, I would have had to back up blindly about 500 feet to an area where I could have turned around. Fortunately, I got stopped and turned onto a road where there was no outlet but I was able to get myself turned around without any real issue. I sent the information to the people at RV Trip Wizard but just got an automated response that my message was received. Who knows if anyone will actually read it and add the low bridge to the program. Whether it's a trip planner, a GPS unit or other mapping program, never get too comfortable with any of them.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
4 REPLIES 4

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I still am feeling so fortunate that I saw that sign.
Yah.. coulda made for a real bad day.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
We don't have much of that out west. I take it this was somewhere east?

Yes, this was in New York State near Rochester on Lake Rd., right next to Lake Ontario. There used to be train tracks but it was abandoned years ago and the rail bed became a Bike/Hiking path. The sign said 11' 10" clearance. I still am feeling so fortunate that I saw that sign.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have much of that out west. I take it this was somewhere east?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
We have entered into our GPS unit additional low bridge data from several databases, some free, some $$.