We have a 2015 tifton and on extended trip where cable and tv is very limited
So my husband not happy
Any ideas how to get satalite tv without direct tv or dish
Thank you
14 REPLIES 14

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
We use Firestick both at home and in the RV. It is convenient. And there is a wide choice of Kodi addons, so it is easy to find those to watch your favorite content. When on the road, we usually use Pluto TV (it gives free access to a wide range of TV channels from the USA and other countries), NewsOn (to watch local news), SportsDevil (to watch sports and live TV), and Shadow https://www.firesticktricks.com/shadow-kodi-addon.html (to watch on-demand movies and Tv shows). Though this is only our choice, there are many other options available, both paid and free.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I have been very impressed with T-Mobile service over the last couple of years. HOWEVER, I have been spending time in Co. Springs and Denver, CO and I have to say their service leaves a lot to be desired. Downtown Co. Springs you can't even get data service and I am finding similar gaps in areas of Denver that I almost never experience in other areas of the US. Not sure what caused these CO issues but I am really happy I have AT&T data service in the RV.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
FMCA has what they call TECH CONNECT. This is a Sprint (now merged with T-Mobile) Wi-Fi hotspot.

Not one cellular company has 100% coverage but T-Mobile and Sprint are now sharing towers and I can tell you the gaps are shrinking (Driving from where I am now living a few miles due south of a favorite campground, to my Cardiologist (one of the reasons I no longer RV) a few miles due north of another formerly favorite campground (New management not good) I used to get gaps in T-Mobile.. NONE since the merger.

I've seen speeds ranging from "Ouch" to WOW And then some

Driving to Elkhart pre-merger My poor T-mobile phone hit zero NO SERVICE the Sprint device (The phone can link to wi-fi and still work) Hit.....

Well when I tied the phone to the Wi-Fi and hit the speed test the "needle bent around the pin" as it were. Right off the scale.

Normally back then I got like 20-30 Mbps Just enough for a video stream.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jane_hart50
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all
We have tried the antenna

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you ever tired your over the air antenna?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I just got my Wally box earlier this week. Installed and activated it today. We have a Winegard Mission in motion satellite, prepped from the factory. It was $75 for the Wally and $54 for pay as you go (no contract) you can cancel at anytime even after 2 weeks. They have dish and Wally combos from Dish that you can purchase as a package. Itโ€™s worth checking into.

Streaming is great if you have service, a few places weโ€™ve been to have no service so streaming is useless. And when you do stream you are limited in data. What I do when we have service is mirror my Iphine onto the TV with the apple lightning to HDMI connector. That works perfectly.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
We stream from our phone and have a WeBoost cell signal booster. So far so good, and we get the same programs in the RV as we do at home for no additional money.

Al

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
Just started full timing and found that even with OTA antenna, streaming (Youtube TV), and cable when available, about half the time we still had no TV. Finally broke down and bought Wally Dish receiver to hook into our Winegard satellite that's built into our Tiffin, but we never used. Works great. I think we pay $60 mo. for local and regular programming, month to month. I was thinking of buying a portable dish to hook up because some CGs with trees, block signal. Can't move satellite receiver when sitting on roof of coach. Wally box was $150. Packages including portable dish and receiver list for about $300, but are usually on sale for under $200 at CW etc.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I believe with Dish you can activate it when traveling and turn it off when you want.

Seems simple enough.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
Jane.hart50 wrote:
So my husband not happy
Thank you

You CANNOT get satellite TV without paying a satellite TV provider. i.e. DirecTV or DISH. DISH does offer a month to month contract. You buy the dome antenna and receiver and then setup an Outdoor account.
If you mean you just want to be able to watch cable TV channels then your OTA TV antenna can get you many and streaming can get you the rest,

Dish portable then get the Dish anywhere app. Anything I have at home is available on other devices away from home, you do need the home receiver connected to the net. Dish at home the travelers $7 a month add on when I got mine.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Jane.hart50 wrote:
So my husband not happy
Thank you

You CANNOT get satellite TV without paying a satellite TV provider. i.e. DirecTV or DISH. DISH does offer a month to month contract. You buy the dome antenna and receiver and then setup an Outdoor account.
If you mean you just want to be able to watch cable TV channels then your OTA TV antenna can get you many and streaming can get you the rest,

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
IMO โ€œ CG with good WiFiโ€ is an oxymoron. thereโ€™s good wifi and then thereโ€™s CG wifi. most CG wifi that i have experienced is fine for e-mail and surfing but not for video streaming.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
another plug for streaming. ATT has a 100 gig hotspot plan,
I understand T-mobile has an unlimited one that also offers free netflix, it wont work where we live, you would have to research your chosen areas.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option would be to look at streaming via wifi or cell service. All depends on where you park but if you have good cell service or a CG with good WiFi you can stream a lot of shows, movies etc.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT