cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Securing an antenna mast to a trailer?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing is worse than going camping and roughing it (in a FHU CG!) and not being able to have TV due to inadequate OTA signal, too many trees for satellite TV or no CG cable TV.

So am thinking of getting a lightweight fiberglass sectional mast (4' sections) and larger antenna (bowtie or maybe yagi style). The mast could be perhaps 20' or 24' tall. Problem is, is there a way to attach a mast to an RV? It could sit on the ground or I could perhaps make a bracket to attach to the bumper or A-frame in our TT. But where to attach near roof level or to something on the roof? I was looking at the vertical track for the awning and it *might* be possible to bolt to the top of the track but not sure if the track is attached to the exterior wall strongly enough (likely not). Can't think of a simple way of attaching to something on the roof (antenna base, vent trim or ??). If we had originally ordered the optional roof ladder, attaching to the ladder would be easy. Could there be blocking inside the rear wall already that could be used to attach a bracket of some sort? I hate the thought of drilling into the wall tho., especially for mounting a non-standard, non-RV bracket.

Maybe a better antenna (than the original Winegard batwing one) at a lower height would be enough to get a better signal?
15 REPLIES 15

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the ideas! The flag pole mounts look interesting.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
...is there a way to attach a mast to an RV?

I have both a flag on a 16 foot fiberglass pole and a weather station on a 15 foot metal pole mounted to the back of my RV.

The flag is on a FlagPoleBuddy pole and ladder mount. There is already a link to FPB above.

The mount for the metal pole is of my design and making and I can provide details for you. PM me with your Email address.

The problem with using a tall pole is trying to manage it when extended up to full height, especially in a light to moderate wind.

My flag is not usually a problem to handle, but the metal pole is a real tussle with the weight of the weather station on TOP. I doubt that a 20 - 25 foot pole with an antenna on it would be managable, at least not with MY mount.

Tim

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Sunsetter Telescoping Flag pole.. I will link (I hope) to an even better one (if I still have the link) (did not but have working Organic Computer (brain) and it remembered ENOUGH of the URL for Google to find it)

The mast I have has a "Park on" base (DG's sells one that way too) but the base broke so I now have ...

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
For a year and a half I had a 28' TT for a temp home and construction office while I built my house. I used one of these antenna's on a 10' pole attached to my ladder. I live about 80 miles from my nearest towers and I got 18 channels.

https://www.amazon.com/TV-Antenna-Motorized-Rotation-Amplified/dp/B071V7SV6P/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1527015400&sr=1-5&keywords=tv+antenna

I'd have no doubt that mounted on a tall pole well above the height of a trailer roof this antenna head would do pretty well BUT ya gotta laugh at the description ... "HDTV antenna" my foot. :S

I know, an antenna doesnt care, but 8 years later the same antenna is on my house and still in use. But now its 17' above my chimney, which is 34 ' above the ground, and the winds coming off the lake still havent killed it.
And it was only $28 when I bought it.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
For a year and a half I had a 28' TT for a temp home and construction office while I built my house. I used one of these antenna's on a 10' pole attached to my ladder. I live about 80 miles from my nearest towers and I got 18 channels.

https://www.amazon.com/TV-Antenna-Motorized-Rotation-Amplified/dp/B071V7SV6P/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1527015400&sr=1-5&keywords=tv+antenna

I'd have no doubt that mounted on a tall pole well above the height of a trailer roof this antenna head would do pretty well BUT ya gotta laugh at the description ... "HDTV antenna" my foot. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3 ft dia "omni" I bought from Radio Shack years ago.
On a push-up pole 5 ft above the roof it blows a Sensor-IV (which is a Sensor-III with Wingman) away.
But then it's bigger and higher.

But I have to take it down for travel.

I also have a motorized Sensor (new in box) I bought off eBay this winter (for $50). Not certain when I'm going to get to play with it, the summer is looking so nutz!
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
On the OP's original qx about ladder mounts, yes most companies put the blocks in place for a ladder to be installed, you can usually call or e mail them manufacturer to get the location on your trailer.

You just wont be able to leave it attached all the time, you would have to remove it for travel.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the products here: http://www.flagpolebuddy.com/

Check their ladder mount.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:

I'm sure the OP already knows this, also knows that even with a Sensar IV head and SensarPro driving it that reception is often still marginal to none at all ... just as I also know this.
Exactly!!

Digital TV is really different than old-fashioned analog. When a digital signal gets weaker, the image doesn't get worse and worse, it's fine until it gets to a point where it just suddenly disappears like it fell off a steep cliff. You've either got a good image or nuthin' - no in between. Atmospheric conditions can be a big factor and can vary a lot from daytime to nighttime.

Digital is no different than analog as far as reception issues. Still have to aim the antenna ( spent many a time tweaking the Cannel Master Tena rotor), instead of some to extreme pixelation you had ghosting, light to blizzard level snow on the screen, sound but no picture.

A great big antenna on a very tall mast will help, and sometimes it will still get no signal.
Good luck in your quest.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:

I'm sure the OP already knows this, also knows that even with a Sensar IV head and SensarPro driving it that reception is often still marginal to none at all ... just as I also know this.
Exactly!!

Digital TV is really different than old-fashioned analog. When a digital signal gets weaker, the image doesn't get worse and worse, it's fine until it gets to a point where it just suddenly disappears like it fell off a steep cliff. You've either got a good image or nuthin' - no in between. Atmospheric conditions can be a big factor and can vary a lot from daytime to nighttime.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
There is no better RV antenna than the Winegard Batwing, with the optional Wingman attachment. Add also the Sensar Pro power supply/booster and you have a good setup. There are also apps for smart phones that will help you find the closest towers for aiming purposes.

If you go with the Yagi/bowtie you may still need a signal booster, and a way to turn the antenna to get what reception there is.

Not sure why you'd say nothing is better than a Winegard Batwing? There are lots of better choices but the problem for RV-ing is physical size and portability. The one I'm thinking of is relatively flat and can fit in the back of our truck. I spent the winter researching different antennas and looking at gain and other specs. and ones that'd be better at pulling in long distance stations get quite large, like 8-10' long...

Already have a SensarPro and Wingman booster. Haven't looked into a separate mast-mounted pre-amp yet like the RCA or Channel Master ones. I like the TVfool.com website and since we carry a laptop and have Verizon mifi, I can determine optimal aiming direction at different CGs. Once I know the optimal aiming direction I can go outside and manually turn the mast and leave it alone. Once we aim the Winegard rooftop antenna now, I have never changed the direction. If I get a bowtie antenna, it'd be a lot less directional than a yagi plus they're more compact.

We were at a CG on the weekend and there was no problem getting 3 shopping channels but 3 others worth watching kept dropping out. A better and higher antenna should improve things there. We got a difficult jigsaw puzzle done tho. ๐Ÿ™‚

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
There is no better RV antenna than the Winegard Batwing, with the optional Wingman attachment. Add also the Sensar Pro power supply/booster and you have a good setup. There are also apps for smart phones that will help you find the closest towers for aiming purposes.

If you go with the Yagi/bowtie you may still need a signal booster, and a way to turn the antenna to get what reception there is.

I'm sure the OP already knows this, also knows that even with a Sensar IV head and SensarPro driving it that reception is often still marginal to none at all ... just as I also know this. The OP's solution is correct - a better (home use) head mounted much higher up above the roof. I would think this might be the one exception for mounting a 2" bumper receiver, even a bolt on, as that would allow then mounting a flagpole holder like this to the trailer. To rotate the head I'd just keep it simple by manually rotating the pole to which the head is mounted. I just haven't bothered myself because I really don't care all that much about watching TV while camping, 'though my wife would probably think this was a worthwhile mod. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
The Ham radio guys can give you some good info on attaching a mast. I'm not sure how many are on this forum, but there must be some.
Tom & Carol

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT