SMALL and LIGHT DirecTV HD Slimline Replacement and Tips

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
16 REPLIES 16

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently posted this before. I have an Align-a-Site but have opted to use a magnetic incline level which is easier to use, but no optical site for heavy tree canopy. My setup, which is similar to Schneid's, throws off the elevation scale on the 1000.2. This little level works well for me. I attach it to the LNB arm. I know the incline for my home location (48 deg.) and adjust accordingly for other locations.

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted

RR24
Explorer
Explorer
schneid wrote:
Photos here:

Wish photo's where still there!
2008 Ford F250 4x4 CC V10
2005 Jazz 5th wheel 2760RL

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I said that in the title. YES, HD, otherwise why would I bother? What I don't know, as I don't care, is whether it will snag the 110 and 119. Nothing I watch uses those birds.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
schneid wrote:
Photos here:

HD?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
schneid wrote:
If I recall, Santa wasn't too happy with his First Strike. Santa bad. RUN!!!!!!!!
Big may be happy with his purchase.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
If I recall, Santa wasn't too happy with his First Strike. Santa bad. RUN!!!!!!!! Seriously, First Strike and it's bro, Tracker Lite, aren't so hot in my opinion. I'd go Acutrac III Plus or the Satlook Lite unless you have big bucks. But then, the big boys are kind of complicated.

BTW, what is Santa using?

I didn't use my AAS for the first year I owned it but have now begun to rely on it. I dial in the settings, position the tripod with dish attached with one eye on it's compass and one on my tripod bubble level. Plant it and if I don't have signal, I am darn close. Unless, the deviation monster is lurking.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I am hoping Santa brings me a First Strike Digital Meter this Christmas..
Santa here. PM me.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the post. I think I will start watching for parts and put one together. I have a Slimline 5 on a surveyors tripod. About $60 spent so far. I added wingnuts to make it easy to take the dish off so it stows easier. Also replaced all the pivot point bolts and lock bolts with knobs so its easy to aim without tools. I have a 40' DP so lots of belly storage anyway.

We have two DVR's; one inside and one outside, so running one cable instead of four would be sweet. SWM could be fed thru the existing cable wiring; no more cables through the window and also let me add a tuner to the bedroom on the existing cable. If I switch to SWM, I might as well do the work and go smaller.

I agree AAS is too pricey. I LOVE Dishpointer AR.

I am hoping Santa brings me a First Strike Digital Meter this Christmas. No audible tone on the HD boxes makes it a pain. I get DW on the iPhone and she tells me the signal strength. I set up the Slimline 15-20 times per year. I have a SD dome but INSIST on HD for the outside flat screen. I am getting ready to put a flat screen inside so the dome will seldom get used.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I don't see any tips; just photos. Nice setup. more details? What components eg dish and LNB is it?

I don't see anything like it on TV4RV WEBSITE.

TV4RV.com just sells nice tripods and accessories. Good place to tickle your brain too.

All my stuff came from eBay with the exception of the mast assembly/backplate which was discarded at the curb.

Materials:

DirecTV SL3. I recommend going SWM, an SL3s. Just one feed.
DirecTV 21v Power Inserter (PI). SWM needs mo' power.
DirecTV Slimline arm.
Dish 1000.2 mast assembly, backplate, arm, and dish, the 25" one.

The parts on the low end are $60 but range from $100 to free.

My arm is 18-1/2" from the front dish lip to the SL3 insertion point. I think with the Phase III backplate it was around 19". Finding the sweet-spot is by trial and error. We know this is right as the sweet-spot is pretty small. 1/4" off will kill the signal.

mikestock did a lot of research and the basics are proven.

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Without going to his photos, it's a old multi sat dish and a SL3 lnb. OP, why the extension for the LNB? I'm using the above items without the extension. I would bolt the extension to the bottom, not the top as you are now aiming at the top of the dish with the LNB.

The comments are also in the upper right corner too. Picasa is not WSIWYG.

It is NOT a DirecTV Phase III Multi-sat dish. It started out that way but mikestock and I swapped in the Dish 1000.2's and dish mast assemblies. The Phase III's lose too much on the 99 and 103. As for the modded arm, that is sweet-spot we found for the setup. I originally kept the Phase III mast assembly but recently swapped in a Dish 1000 one. For whatever reason, that improved the 99 and 103 too. It is aimed at the center whether it looks like it in photos or not. I posted the signal strengths which are hard to argue with. I am in Northern Nevada so that makes a difference too.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without going to his photos, it's a old multi sat dish and a SL3 lnb. OP, why the extension for the LNB? I'm using the above items without the extension. I would bolt the extension to the bottom, not the top as you are now aiming at the top of the dish with the LNB.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
kewl

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I don't see any tips; just photos. Nice setup. more details? What components eg dish and LNB is it?

I don't see anything like it on TV4RV WEBSITE.
If you click on the first photo and expand it, the tips show up. Then scroll though ... I missed it too the first time.

Nice job!
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292