cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smart Phone Battery Replacement

kirbybear
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to decide between a Samsung S5 ( replacable battery ) and S6 ( sealed battery ). My current flip phone, I have had since 06 ( replaced battery once ), I tend to keep stuff for a long time.

Question for smart phone users. How long did your OEM battery last before you had to replace the battery or how long has your OEM battery lasted ? Thanks Bob
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
About 2-3 years is the max on them some go as quickly as a year.

Even on the "Sealed case" units there are usually shops that can replace the internal battery.... Batteries Plus is one such. But I do not know if that applies to the S-6

I went with the S-5.. Handy app on the S-5 (I do not know if it comes pre-installed) is the peal-smart remote app.. This uses the I/R led on the S-5 (yes it has one) as a "unserval Remote Control" being as it's computer controlled the unit is dang near limitless in what it can control.. Comes in very handy some days.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
I prefer replaceable so i can have a spare battery handy
it all depends on the amount of use your phone gets
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

kirbybear
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. The S6 is like the iphones. Samsung wants $45 plus S&H to replace or DIY with a few tools.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about the Samsungs and others, but the iPhones have replaceable batteries available on eBay for about $9 including the special tools required, which in most cases looks like a very tiny Torx driver. Lots of youtube videos on battery replacement fo just about any phone. I replaced the wife's iPhone battery (4S) in about 10 minutes after watching videos. An experienced tech could do it under 5.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will say when getting fresh batteries be sure they are OEM types. We ordered some cheapers ones here with same AH capacity and they didn't half as long as the original OEM ones did... Got the higher cost OEM types in th phone now...

I am guilty of leaving the cell phones sitting in the charger more than not...

I'm sure this is battery killer...

I try to always have a new unused battery on-hand ready to be used. My older DROIDs don't like to be plugged in without a working battery in them...

Still waiting to hear from VERIZON on what they want to do with my DROID ACCOUNT which was issued a pretty long time ago haha... Maybe I am truly safe with my unlimited data usage until 2036 I think the contract says...

Thats been the only reason I have never updated my cell phone service...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Get the phone you really want, and don't worry about the battery. If, after a few years, you want to keep the phone and it needs a battery, you spend the $50 to have one installed. Cheaper than getting a new phone. I'm not going to spend years using my 2nd choice phone, wishing I would have bought the other one, just on the possibility I might save a few bucks down the road.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
You may get longer life if you don't deep cycle the phone battery. LI chemistries are happiest if they are given say 30 to 90% charges. The battery on my 2 year old S4 is starting to show some signs of age. The 18 month old one is in slightly better shape.

I use my phones as hot spots--but try to alternate them.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
batteries last 2~3 yrs avg, depending on number of recharges
a heavy use means more recharging
i am heavy data/internet use
my phone is recharged everyday, sometimes twice
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
The OEM battery in my S3 is still going strong.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would stay with the s5 because of the battery issue.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
My Galaxy S4 is still going strong. Although sealed,aka Iphone, batteries can be replaced