cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Switching to Dish from Direct

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
I hate start another satellite tv thread, but I need some help and couldn't quite find what i needed from searching.

I am switching from Direct to Dish, and need to know what hardware I need to ensure that I can take a receiver in the rv. I want to be able to use the tried and true dish on a tripod mount for receiving the signal, and will be using one, possibly 2 receivers from the house.

My question is, what dish do I need to purchase for the tripod, and what receivers do I need to get when they do the house install?

Thanks in advance!!
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS
2014 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 6.7 Cummins
29 REPLIES 29

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
On theProwl wrote:
Quick question on Dish Network software. Where do I go to find my settings when setting up an open dish. On DirecTV I could go in and put in my zip code and get my azimuth and tilt. I'm not seeing that in Dish settings?

Use either DISH Pointing Angles or you can download pointing guides.

Thank you!
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
On theProwl wrote:
Quick question on Dish Network software. Where do I go to find my settings when setting up an open dish. On DirecTV I could go in and put in my zip code and get my azimuth and tilt. I'm not seeing that in Dish settings?

Use either DISH Pointing Angles or you can download pointing guides.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
On theProwl wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
King Controls builds one and Winegard builds the other.

Either one better than the other?

Both are pretty good and they both use the same basic software as it was provided by DISH.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
We also have Dish in our fifth wheel. When we activated our service from Direct who made us return a received we purchased Dish gave us a receiver for free and the fee is 7 big ones a month. With Direct, we always had a signal problem but with Dish never a problem. We use the Tailgator by King.

Safe travel
G.H.

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Either one better than the other?
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
What's the difference between the King Tailgator and the Dish Playmaker? I'm having trouble trying to distinguish any differences.
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS

richheck
Explorer
Explorer
On theProwl wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
I didn't think the Wally would work with a manual dish.

I have seen some post that they have had issues but I think it might be trying to get the Wally activated while connected to a portable. There should not be any problems connecting a working Wally to a portable (dome) and doing the check switch.

Technician said the same thing just a bit ago. Says I need an eastern arc 1000.2 or 1000.4, and to make sure it's not the hybrid one as that is for the Hopper system. He didn't have any extra or he would have gave me one off the truck. He said I should call dish and they MAY come install it for free at the lake lease. I'll see what happens when I call.

I have Three Wallyโ€™s connected to my manual dish with no issues.
2013 Ford F-350 4WD DWD 6.7PSD
2010 Jeep Wrangler
2017 Landmark 365 Arlington

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

I have seen some post that they have had issues but I think it might be trying to get the Wally activated while connected to a portable. There should not be any problems connecting a working Wally to a portable (dome) and doing the check switch.

Technician said the same thing just a bit ago. Says I need an eastern arc 1000.2 or 1000.4, and to make sure it's not the hybrid one as that is for the Hopper system. He didn't have any extra or he would have gave me one off the truck. He said I should call dish and they MAY come install it for free at the lake lease. I'll see what happens when I call.
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:

Definitely a question to ask the technician. Not sure why it wouldn't if it was receiving a signal?
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry and Gloria wrote:
We have the Hopper 3 with 2 wireless Joeys. When going to Florida for the winter I just unplug everything 3 HDMI cables and 3 power cables and take it all with me. When we get to the RV park I hook up 2 HDMIs, 2 power and 1 coax and ready to watch TV. O and the 2nt Joey me buddy takes to his 5er next door. Could not be easier.

Sounds like a good setup. We are at the lake lease every weekend from March through mid November, so I will have a stationary open face dish there. No need for the Hopper, as I just need a regular receiver and no need for DVR service. May pick up a tailgator or playmaker for the 4-5 times a year we pull out for travel.
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS