cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

T-Mobile Senior plan

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen ads for T-Mobile offering a plan for $60 for two lines, unlimited talk, text, data, with Netflix included as well. Seems almost too good to pass up. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone using the plan for pros and cons.
22 REPLIES 22

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes I did but the fact is all the phone's functions are "unlimited" via the microcell. the phone does not know you are on a "micro Cell" since to the phone it's just a "Tower". So though you are almost correct on using the phone as a "hot Spot" on a microcell.. there are cases where you might need to do it.

Case one: No wifi on your internet account

Case 2: Cellular frequencies and Wi-Fi have different "penetration" factors and thus different ranges.. I do not know which penetrates farther but if you can "See" the microcell but not the Wi-Fi signal .. Well.. The phone can act as a Wi-Fi "extender".

However I suspect that would be rare.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
For those who have INTERNET, at home but for some reason T-mobile does not cover the house (NOTE: This would not apply to RVers) T-Mobile has a device, about 100 dollars that is what is called a "Micro Cell"

Basically it is a very small Cell Tower, uses your internet connection to allow your phone to work where you have Internet but no Tower coverage.

Some restaurants and such actually have these installed for the benefit of their customers. YOu get unimited internet via the microcells of course.

So now I have to have my own paid internet connection to use the T-Mobile phone because there is no T-Mobile tower? I have to buy a $100 device to use my paid internet connection so there useless phone will work? I am not sure I am understanding this correctly and if I am, how is this going to help me if I don't have internet (the thing I am supposed to be paying T-Mobile for)?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
For those who have INTERNET, at home but for some reason T-mobile does not cover the house (NOTE: This would not apply to RVers) T-Mobile has a device, about 100 dollars that is what is called a "Micro Cell"

Basically it is a very small Cell Tower, uses your internet connection to allow your phone to work where you have Internet but no Tower coverage.

Some restaurants and such actually have these installed for the benefit of their customers. YOu get unimited internet via the microcells of course.

Assuming you have wifi with your internet service that's all you need. Don't know of too many phones that don't provide wifi calling. Mobile providers like that, you use your phone, pay for service but don't use their network.

MrWizard
"unlimited internet" ?

if you have internet, you don't need double conversion, cell to internet

did you mean unlimited calling via the micro-cell via internet
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for ALL the input. Learn something every time. Keep it coming!

I will be moving into the RV in 2-3 months, but will be in Alaska until August or later. I don't need to make a decision until then. If I was going to ATT or Verizon, might switch sooner (I can do that up here, but can't sign up for TMobile up here). Lots of lead time to weigh both costs, service and customer service. ๐Ÿ™‚

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Ting (rides on Sprint) for a couple of years now. 2 iPhones (but very little data usage) and our bills, with taxes are around $50.

No contract and NOT pre-paid. Pay for what you use.

T-Mobile has worked better than other mobile services at my stick house. But would have some coverage doubts when traveling? Carry a Verizon hotspot for that reason.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sourdough Biscuits wrote:
I've seen ads for T-Mobile offering a plan for $60 for two lines, unlimited talk, text, data, with Netflix included as well. Seems almost too good to pass up. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone using the plan for pros and cons.

I have this exact plan. Sixty dollars no fees unlimited everything, and buy one phone get another free. I live in Eugene, OR and the only place I go where there is no coverage is at the beach, and the U of O campus. Verizon has a monopoly there for some reason. I don't go to the beach that often, but when I do I'm glad not to be bothered with the in-laws calling checking up. My daughter is with us and she has a flip phone from Ting, and it works just fine there if we need it. For me it's a small sacrifice for a major savings. Verizon showed me their displeasure with me leaving by sending me a final bill with "Pay This Immediately" in bold type. I won't go back to them unless there's no choice.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am the one with T-Mobile + Senior who said Netflix is not available. I do have tethering enabled. It costs us an extra $10/month/phone. So we pay $60/month for 2 lines, and $20/month for tethering for 2 lines, for a total of $80/month. That is EXACTLY what my monthly bill is, $80. (And we still can't get the Netflix, sigh.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
I have the senior plan with T mobile, and I am using my laptop tether to my phone, it is the only wifi I have, also you can get a booster free from t mobile to help with the coverage, I also stream netfix and amazon prime from my phone to the Tv.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First T-Mobile coverage is much improved over what it was a few years back. In fact were I am at now it was very IFFY in 2013.. Solid (i'm using it to post this) now.. Though speeds are not as good (Too many users on the tower I suspect).

However as I drive to church (17 miles of back roads) I loose coverage till I get to Town (The city the church is in) Just now If I were on a different site I coudl turn my head adn see the freeway

I have the plan. the plan for me is 87 dollars including (just went up to 107 but I upgraded my phone)

That's 55 for the basic plan, a bit more for extra Hot Spot Data, and of course Taxes and fees the Governmaurent mandates.. Still cheaper than a single land line.

But 87 dollars is the basic plan cost (I think) All in all I'm very happy with it. Unlimited everything to the phone.. Limit (10 gigs) only applies to HIGH SPEED data to other deivces. Like this Toshiba Windoze box. or the chromebook net to it playing Publishier's Clearning House. :).

Blasted Chrome book would not wake up this AM. so I had to get a new one. cheaper than the phone.. Faster to configure too Select Wi-Fi (enter PSK if needed) Enter Google User name and password. Answer phone Sit basck and watch for a minute or two, DONE.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI wrote:
I looked at that plan but along with our 2 phones we also have our sons, his fiancรฉ and our daughters phone on our family plan. We have the $40, all unlimited, all taxes included plan. We got it when they were offering a 20% discount, so that's $32 a phone. Then we get $10 off any line that uses 2gig or less of data in a month and money off for autopay. Bottom line, $20 a month per line if you use 2 gig or less. Anybody that goes over has to pay an extra $10.

I'm using my phone as a hotspot right now.

Mt Boost Mobile, 30 per line plan is all in, taxes included. Flat 30 a month unlimited everything plus after 12 months of on time payments you can get a new phone, myself, I don't want one, I still have not figured out all the stuff on this one.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies.

1. Doesn't do any good to ask people in our area. We're in Alaska. Can't sign up for T-Mobile here. But, we'll be going on the road full-time soon and "our area" could be anywhere!

2. Interesting RE: tethering and Netflix. Spoke to a rep on their 800 number last month and was sure they said I could do both. Guess I'll do some more homework.

Coverage does seem to be a recurring theme.

Among other things, I'm definitely looking for the ability to tether computer and NOT break the bank for internet.

Hadn't seen the Sprint deal before. I'll check into it.