cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The phone you always wanted

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Well maybe not you but I like it,mainly for that replacable battery.

https://youtu.be/v-ZAMsMO-7c

Can only hope it will make its way to NA.
13 REPLIES 13

What drives me personally when selecting a smartphone phone is the quality of the camera. Smartphone capabilities or other features don't rank high on my list. Which is the reason I switched to iPhone. However, the caveat is they are difficult to work on.

Until Apple's recent change in policy, they made it very difficult if not near impossible to work on their products yourself. At work, we used an Apple certified independent repair tech but had to discontinue as he claimed he could not get access to tools/parts from Apple he needed. Which makes one wonder why you even have certified independent techs?

I once managed to smash the camera lens on one of my Samsung Notes, and ordered a new camera for less than $10. However, installation involves disassembling almost the entire phone.

I've also never let any technician work on my computers or phones, and wouldn't even consider doing so without encrypting all my files requiring a separate password. The reason being is that technicians will need Admin access, which means they can access all your data on your devices. And there have been a number of news reports of data being stolen, or posted on the net without permission.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
Valhalla,

My phone is from 2014. It will cease to operate on AT&T in February. I resent that a LOT. And yes I can change the battery--but because I treat it carefully I've never needed to do so.

Feel free to resent it but it's simply reality. You will also struggle to run windows 7.

You can change the battery on most phones...the shops that fix broken screens can usually do it but it typically makes little sense. A $25 cheapo model can outperform your 7yr old phone.

If you are simply worried about running out of power after a few days away from an outlet, a $30 power pack can keep you going.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

One reason I keep my Samsung Note 4, is the battery is easily replaceable. Plus, it's infrared (IR) capable and can be used as a remote.

I personally don't have any battery drain issues on my iPhone since Apple appears to have addressed previous issues. With little activity and WiFi, Bluetooth, and 4G enabled, I still have 93% charge after 24-hours.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Valhalla,

My phone is from 2014. It will cease to operate on AT&T in February. I resent that a LOT. And yes I can change the battery--but because I treat it carefully I've never needed to do so.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
For the cost of a new battery, you can buy a new phone. Won't be the latest top of the line but hard to get excited about keeping a 10yr old outdated phone alive.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
free radical wrote:
Too much competition to Iphone,they have a monopoly on the market I suspect as Ive never seen any adverts for this Fairphone.

I don't think so:

"Android maintained its position as the leading mobile operating system worldwide in June 2021, controlling the mobile OS market with a close to 73 percent share."

So for every apple phone sold, there are nearly 3 android's.

Apple does sell more iphones than Samsung cell phones--but there are lots of other androids available.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
free radical wrote:

And quickly

I have a bad feeling,probably never.
Too much competition to Iphone,they have a monopoly on the market I suspect as Ive never seen any adverts for this Fairphone.

Come to think of it Ive never seen adverts for Blackberry either in a long time.
It still has sort of cult status following and my 5 year old BB still works good,but after new year it will be useless.
No talk text no 911 no nothing.weird.

Ive heard that BB has the most secure OS that no one can hack,so maybe

BB co. stil exist and makes software for other systems and cars.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
free radical wrote:

And quickly
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
We recently upgraded from our old iphone6's to iphone11's primarily because the batteries were needing to be replaced. We intentionally did not go with the iphone12 as there is limited or no availability of 5G in our area, operating in 5G with no 5G service depletes the battery faster, and we do nothing on our phones that need 5G any way. Having the "latest and greatest" means nothing to us.

It is very easy to just turn off 5G and its associated power drain in an iPhone 12.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Apple has said that future products will have better "repairability". We shall see !

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We recently upgraded from our old iphone6's to iphone11's primarily because the batteries were needing to be replaced. We intentionally did not go with the iphone12 as there is limited or no availability of 5G in our area, operating in 5G with no 5G service depletes the battery faster, and we do nothing on our phones that need 5G any way. Having the "latest and greatest" means nothing to us.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Other than the built in obsolescence factor to churn consumers through a succession of "the next big thing", what was the reason for integrating the battery?

I know I must be a source of frustration to Verizon. Carpet bombed almost daily via email with exhortations to upgrade to 5G phones. Don't watch TV, play games, or livestream video, so no particular benefit to me. Then there's the issue of Verizon has no 5G service in my neighborhood yet. One last thing, a 5G device forces you to select a new plan, none of which are the deal I currently have with Verizon's 55+.

I like the changeable battery. I miss having that on my old phones.
I replaced one in an iphone once. That was a job and a half.
So much better to flip the back off and pull the battery out.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com