cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TomTomn VIA 1605 M RV

Hunter11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just wondering if anyone uses this RV specific GPS and if so how do they like it? We are thinking about purchasing one.
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
11 REPLIES 11

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Just received my TomTom 1605M yesterday. Best deal I found was Ebay for $119 incl. shipping. Never owned a TomTom before and I've found that I have a learning curve to go through. It has a large, 6" screen and the touch feature works better than the touch feature on my previous (2) Garmins I've owned.

We'll see how it goes.

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
Low clearances can be obtained through sites like
Poi-Factory
You can change the GPX file into OV2 then copy it into the Map folder of the TomTom using program like
PoiEdit

az99
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you stay on main roads there should be no problem with low bridges.I would not trust any GPS for low bridges. We have 1 locally that does not show up. Stay on the roads the truckers use and you will be good.
I also have a TomTom Via that I am mostly happy with. I did not like either of the Garmins I had. MS Streets and Trips is still the best way to plan a trip and check where any GPS is trying to route you.

Good Luck with the new RV.

Hunter11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all of the input. My dad has had a TomTom (non RV) unit for about 5 years now and seems to really like it so I thought I would check out the RV version. We have a new trailer ordered and we will have to travel from Central Texas to Elkhart to pick it up and I was thinking about getting a new RV GPS before we head up that way for low bridges and such. If we do purchase the TomTom RV GPS I will report back on how it worked after the trip.
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

Explorer
Explorer
There is someone on this forum that has the Tom Tom RV GPS. Sooner or later he should see this and respond. I know that he has said how much he likes it and had the Garmin and the Rand McN to compare it to. He kept the Tom Tom and returned the others.

I have a Tom Tom built into my dash - not by choice. It is not an RV model and it is just OK. I have a Garmin in my car. There are pros and cons with each. The Tom Tom likes to go where it wants despite a simpler and shorter route in a straight line. The Garmin does not store pre-routed trips as well as the Tom Tom does. The Tom Tom that came with my new RV was no longer supported by Tom Tom - no firmware updates and the traffic feature built in was no longer supported by Tom Tom and non-functional (I spoke with Tom Tom service many times about this with no satisfaction). Plus Tom Tom will not sell a lifetime map add on as Garmin will do for units that did not come with lifetime maps. Tom Tom wants over $100 a year for a map subscription of four to six updates. Garmin will sell you a lifetime map subscription for $79 which is deeply discounted at various sales sites.

The Garmin and the Tom Tom RV models are similar in their limitations - both do not have a propane setting to avoid propane restricted roads, tunnels, and bridges. The Rand McN does. The Garmin Dezi 760 truck GPS does have a hazardous materials setting which works for propane restrictions. The Rand McN has no traffic routings unless you connect a cell phone with a data plan to it and use your data to get traffic alerts and only with an optional traffic cable.

Garmin needs to put the propane setting in their RV GPS and they would have an all around winner. But they don't seem to have any intention of doing that.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Also have a TomTom Via, and absolutely love it! But its not the RV version... so would be keen to hear how it is.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
Well I guess when I fly, I will do away with my TomTom. Until then, I will continue to use it. But what does that have to do with the TomTom RV. Everyone I know that has a Garmen has upgraded it for another one.

I don't have that model, but the one I have is now over 4 years old and NEVER steers me wrong.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
I've always used and like Garmins, but my RV came with a TomTom in-dash unit. I've put up with it for three years now and today is the day I'm yanking it out and replacing it with a new Kenwood/Garmin in-dash unit.

As one fellow RVer once told me, they use Garmin not TomTom in airplanes.
TomTom did not have an RV specific unit 3 years ago.

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
I never talk GPS brands. Like politics and religion.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've always used and like Garmins, but my RV came with a TomTom in-dash unit. I've put up with it for three years now and today is the day I'm yanking it out and replacing it with a new Kenwood/Garmin in-dash unit.

As one fellow RVer once told me, they use Garmin not TomTom in airplanes.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I tried getting the same info a few months ago and only got 1 reply who said he liked it. Does not seem to be very popular for some reason. I always liked the TomToms over any Garmin I have seen.