cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tv antenna upgrade questions

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 07 Coachman Cross Country that has a Signal Commander batwing antenna on it. I have HD tv's in the coach and have been using the satellite system over the years. I have dropped my satellite service and I'm going to start using the antenna. It works well in some places and not so well in others. I looked at the Winegard HD batwing and thought about getting it. Mine does not have a 12v power source going to it. It has the coax going into the batwing and coming in to the signal diverter (box that sends signal to all three tvs). I cannot find any other power source going to the antenna so I'm not sure if the new Winegard will work without having to install the power source. Not really sure if I am calling it by its right name or not. It had three coax connections and an on/off button on it with a place for 12v plug. The guy says its needs a 12v power source and that it works like an amplifier. I'm just wondering what all you have to do to upgrade the antenna from an 07 model to a 2019 model. Everything is working fine I am just wanting to be able to pick up more channels and increase the range of the antenna. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 389DS
300 HP Cummins Turbo Charged
03 Sahara Jeep Wrangler & 05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll
16 REPLIES 16

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that the Signal Commander antenna is basically the same as the Winegard Sensar III. The Sensar III's shortcoming was its UHF reception so Winegard came out with the Wingman attachment to boost the UHF. It's doubtful that the Wingman will attach to the Commander. The Winegard Sensar IV antenna has the Wingman built in. According to an answer posted on Amazon, the Sensar IV head will attach to the Commander lift arms. As mentioned, the "BOMB" is sending power up the coax to the antenna head.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bomb doesnโ€™t work with HDMI?

I lost mine and use the tv to switch inputs. TV sound output to the surround sound.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer

This is what I am wanting to go with, is this one any good ?
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
That box is your power supply to your antenna. It is a discontinued product, but here is a link for information
BOMB

That's what I thought but just wasn't 100% sure. So I can get the winegard batwing and not need anything else to make it work ???
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
That box is your power supply to your antenna. It is a discontinued product, but here is a link for information
BOMB
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
At least I figured out how to post a pic....LOL

Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
[img][/img] I got a pic of my diverter box but can't figure out how to post it.....lol....Also will a Winegard batwing mount to the Signal Commander mounting arms? I have plenty of room for the Winegard wing but just wondering if I can use my existing arm or have to change it out as well.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 'signal diverter box'----BOMB (Box of Many Buttons) with a 12VDC power source to it will supply the Winegard Atenna Head with power for the amplifier in the head of antenna VIA the coax cable

With 12VDC coonected to BOMB you turn it ON for power to amplifier.
If using cable connection you turn it OFF
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
According to their documentation, the Signal Commander does require power(12v) to the antenna and amplifier located in the antenna head. Check your diverter, it may also be the power source. If possible, use a meter to check for power at the antenna. If no power, that may well be you biggest problem.

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, back some time ago, someone posted results of testing the Sensar against others. Have you seen any results for the commander??

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
brianseay1 wrote:
I have an 07 Coachman Cross Country that has a Signal Commander batwing antenna on it. I have HD tv's in the coach and have been using the satellite system over the years. I have dropped my satellite service and I'm going to start using the antenna. It works well in some places and not so well in others. I looked at the Winegard HD batwing and thought about getting it. Mine does not have a 12v power source going to it. It has the coax going into the batwing and coming in to the signal diverter (box that sends signal to all three tvs). I cannot find any other power source going to the antenna so I'm not sure if the new Winegard will work without having to install the power source. Not really sure if I am calling it by its right name or not. It had three coax connections and an on/off button on it with a place for 12v plug. The guy says its needs a 12v power source and that it works like an amplifier. I'm just wondering what all you have to do to upgrade the antenna from an 07 model to a 2019 model. Everything is working fine I am just wanting to be able to pick up more channels and increase the range of the antenna. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you have a Signal Commander, you DO NOT have a Winegard Batwing antenna. It might be that shape but it's not the same so be sure you are listening to folks who understand the difference.
It's quite easy to add the 12V power you need for a Winegard Batwing as the 12V power is sent up the existing coax after you add the Winegard power supply (or Sensar Pro) somewhere in the area where the existing coax leaves the wall and runs to the TV. Worst case you just add a 120V to 12V power supply in that location and you are good to go. The Winegard needs room to raise and lower without obstruction on the roof so be sure to plan the installation before you proceed.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for the Sensar Pro. Doubled my channels.

$70 on Amazon.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
From Bridgeport, you should be able to get both Chattanooga and Huntsville, depending on your location with the hills. If you are at the bottom of the hill, pay for satellite.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
We have a wineguard batwing with no 12v to the head. We simply bought an aftermarket antenna booster that plugs into 120 volt, and screws into the coax between the antenna plate on the wall and our tv , or splitter.
Went from 17 channels to about 30 at one campground by just screwing the wires on and plugging it in.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo