cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weather along route

deepdoc1
Explorer
Explorer
I know Google Maps and CoPilot (and others) have active traffic reporting along your planned route, but I haven't seen any apps that have weather alerts/forecasting along the route. I have had several close calls with tornados and thunderstorms that pop up without much warning, and while I always look at weather during a trip, I yearn for an app that knows what my route is, and can pop an alert when it thinks I'm headed for a danger zone. Is that still a pipe dream, or have I missed something?

Regards,
JimB
Jim, Val & Georgie

• 2006 Bigfoot 40MH32ST
  • 2008 Buick Enclave toad
36 REPLIES 36

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Accuweather

Weather Underground

Weather Underground used to be the go-to app for quite some time, but a while back they decided to load up with tons of ads. Okay, gotta pay the bills...BUT...

They do not load weather data until the ads are loaded and displayed. About 30% of the time the app won't load or update weather data. Sad demise of a once great service ๐Ÿ˜ž

Weather Channel used to be good way back, but once they decided to run sitcom weather reruns, it was nothing but another trash station instead of weather ๐Ÿ˜ž

The trusty old Weather Rock is always right on the money ๐Ÿ™‚ LOL.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
RadarNow works very well not only in showing you weather radar as you travel but also alerts. Google store as I recall.
-jbh-

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Accuweather

Weather Underground
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
StarkNaked wrote:
One option is to get a radio that has NOAA weather alerts.

I prefer to use the NOAA Weather Radar app and just get a peek at the radar. While I'm no weatherman, it's pretty easy to zoom out and see what's heading where.

Our motorhome has a WeatherRadio built in. It'll store up to six or eight SAME Codes. Which makes the radio alerts more specific, but punching in the codes is kind of a PITA.

isa
Explorer
Explorer
If you know the cities you will pass through, just plug them into the Favorites on this pgm/app

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Start10\Launch.exe" /Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

deepdoc1
Explorer
Explorer
:B
Jim, Val & Georgie

• 2006 Bigfoot 40MH32ST

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Maybe need to pitch that idea to the folks in Silicone Valley.
That's the strip joint just down the street.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
deepdoc1 wrote:
Sirius is on my list of requirements for the head unit upgrade I am planning for, so that's good to know. The Garmin Dezi (and other hardware units, probably) looks like pretty much what I'm looking for, but if I have permission to pick nits, I wonder why smartphone navigation apps don't have that potential yet. I guess I can send a feature request to CoPilot.

I balk a little at having to buy yet another device, but in the same breath, I acknowledge the wisdom of having some redundancy. Could be Christmas, Part 2??

Google Maps navigation will warn of weather disruptions along the route, and suggest alternate routes. I've had this happen on East I-90 when flash flooding closed the expressway just west of Sioux Falls.

It doesn't however do as you are asking about, like hey, there might be thunderstorm 100 miles ahead.

Maybe need to pitch that idea to the folks in Silicone Valley.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Smartphones already do this. Traffic alerts too.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

deepdoc1
Explorer
Explorer
I also agree about, and frequently use, the weather radar features while en route.
Jim, Val & Georgie

• 2006 Bigfoot 40MH32ST

deepdoc1
Explorer
Explorer
Sirius is on my list of requirements for the head unit upgrade I am planning for, so that's good to know. The Garmin Dezi (and other hardware units, probably) looks like pretty much what I'm looking for, but if I have permission to pick nits, I wonder why smartphone navigation apps don't have that potential yet. I guess I can send a feature request to CoPilot.

I balk a little at having to buy yet another device, but in the same breath, I acknowledge the wisdom of having some redundancy. Could be Christmas, Part 2??
Jim, Val & Georgie

• 2006 Bigfoot 40MH32ST

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we check the forecast along our planned route starting at 48-hrs out using Weather Channel or the Weather Channel App. while en-route if the weather turns sketchy I'll turn on RadarUS App on my iPad which is mounted to my left for real time radar.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
If I know where I'll on a certain date I check the local TV stations online. They all have up to date weather reports. They are usually very accurate for three days down the road.

Example for Nashville

https://www.newschannel5.com/

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
in addition to many many phone app's, sirus xm has a weather and traffic option that will give weather and traffic alerts on your route as well.

course the phone app's only work when you have cell service. which for us when traveling is often an issue. there are still quite a few roads, including interstate sections in idaho, mt, utah, OR, WA etc. that don't have GSM or CDMA service.

One reason we paid for the Sirus xm weather. Course it does require you have a decent view of the southern sky.....

On our denali, you can set what level of alert you want before it pops up on the screen. and when in nav mode it shows weather and traffic all the time.

x2 on the SirusXM weather.

It was very handy when I was exploring Northern BC, AB, YT and AK. No cell service for days, but the satellite weather would make it through often enough that I could plan ahead. My 2017 Ram's radio is stone-age technology compared to older 2013 Ram, so I don't have the option anymore.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this is helpful?

Garmin Dezi Weather