cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you run Plex Media Server on?

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a way to keep something plugged in all the time to run Plex Media Server so I don't have to keep a laptop on. It will live in a little cubby above the refrigerator with the router. I've looked at a WD Passport Pro wireless NAS, but it turns the WIFI off whenever you have it charging. That's worthless. I'm looking at using a Raspberry Pi 3, but it's WIFI may be too slow to communicate with the router and the Roku device at the same time. We use Plex to keep up with the few network TV shows we watch anymore (commercial free). Anyone do anything similar to this? Let me know about your setup. Thanks.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!
21 REPLIES 21

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
It's basically a desktop in a tiny box. Mine is about 3 x 3 x 2. It has USB ports, HDMI ports, SD slots, and an ethernet port. It also has 802.11ac wireless networking. You load your OS of choice, Windows or Linux. Load Plex Media Server, and go. I don't have to mess with it. When I have power in the trailer, it powers up and is available to provide Plex content. I will keep it above the refrigerator where my access point is. Power and antenna up there. I take my laptop with me, but you have to plug it in, leave it open, turn off power saving modes. I don't have to do anything with the NUC. Go to Youtube and look at the Lon channel. He has a couple of good reports on the Nucs, along with almost everything else home media.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
RSD559 wrote:
Works great. I had two streams running at the same time from a source that I know needs transcoding. Excellent video quality. Here are the links:
NUC - Click Here
Memory - Click Here
Do you have to load software on to this device? How does it work vs laptop? WIFI setup, etc? I obviously don't know squat about a device like this.

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from tech issues
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
We use Plex for all of our network TV viewing, even when we're on the road. It has streams of all of our shows with no commercials. But, CBS requires transcoding. So I need a box with enough power to do the video reprocessing. I don't think the Android boxes have the brute needed. But, I do hope I'm wrong and your box will do everything you need very well. Try putting Plex server on it and try watching something on CBS on a phone or something. It would be interesting to see. Thanks.

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, I was ready to set up a Plex media server with a NUC. But I ended up buying this Android box on Amazon on sale for $26. It comes preloaded with the latest version of Kodi. Although I haven't played around with Kodi enough to say that it's as full featured as Plex, I will say that this box plays EVERYTHING I've thrown at it so far.

So I've got Vero OMSC box for the tv in the main room and the Android box in the bedroom. They are each fed with a 4 TB HDs. Simple to set up and they just plain work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019ESY3RY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Works great. I had two streams running at the same time from a source that I know needs transcoding. Excellent video quality. Here are the links:
NUC - Click Here
Memory - Click Here

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
You folks rekindled my interest. I just bought a NUC, from Intel. It and memory for it cost about $250 from Amazon. I already have a SSD to use. It has a Plex supported Intel processor, so hardware transcoding will be available. It also has 802.11ac wireless. So I can hide it above my refrigerator. I'm going to test it out this evening. I'll let you know. If it works, I'll provide links to the Amazon items, if anyone is interested. Whew! Still Apple free!

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I gave up on a dedicated device. The PC version of Plex Server requires manual updates. When new versions are available, the server just doesn't work. So for each update, I'd have to upgrade. From what I've been able to find out, the Mac Mini is the device to fix the problem. But, I can't get myself to touch anything Apple. Some kind of phobia.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
If transcoding is a concern, the Pi has hardware accelerated h.264 encoding and decoding. I believe up to 30hz encoding and 60hz decoding at 1080p. There's newer boards based on more powerful SoC that will transcode h.265 and 4k video if that's your application.

There seems to be mixed information out there of if a Pi3 has enough horsepower to even decode HEVC 4K. And that is not even transcoding. I do work for an encoding/transcoding company and am quite familiar with server requirements for commercial equipment to run HEVC 4k video and there are very few companies that aren't using hardware acceleration (GPU) for HEVC 4K. HEVC 4K transcoding via software only is not very common yet, it will get there but again, I'm talking for commercial applications, not private applications where lower bitrates along with lower video quality are not as scrutinized.

And for the OP, although you did mention you didn't want a laptop running constantly, I am running my Plex on a headless MAC Mini. So not much different from a laptop except for no video monitor, keyboard, mouse. I do understand when not streaming or ripping/transcoding, power is pretty minimal on MAC Minis.
I love me some land yachting

Martinling
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to run Plex Media Server on Roku for listening Apple Music on Roku.
You might be confused that why I can stream Apple Music via Plex Media Server, since Apple Music are not able to listen to on unauthorized devices.
Fortunately, I have DRmare DRM Audio Converter that can help me remove DRM from Apple Music to Plex compatible audio formats so that I can use Plex to transfer Apple Music to Roku for offline listening.

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
RSD559 wrote:
phemens wrote:
RSD559 wrote:
I'm looking for a way to keep something plugged in all the time to run Plex Media Server so I don't have to keep a laptop on. It will live in a little cubby above the refrigerator with the router. I've looked at a WD Passport Pro wireless NAS, but it turns the WIFI off whenever you have it charging. That's worthless. I'm looking at using a Raspberry Pi 3, but it's WIFI may be too slow to communicate with the router and the Roku device at the same time. We use Plex to keep up with the few network TV shows we watch anymore (commercial free). Anyone do anything similar to this? Let me know about your setup. Thanks.

I have the WD Passport Pro wireless. Just got it, but I believe it only turns off the wireless if connected to a PC, since it uses the USB connection for data transfer. I picked up a 12v to 5v converter to hard wire the charger into the 12v system in the RV, seems to work well.
I use Kodi on a Raspberry Pi and an Nvidia Shield to access the HD. The advantage to the Passport is that I can access the media on any other device - iPad, etc.

I checked for WIFI when I plugged the charger in and plugged it into the USB 3.0 port. No WIFI. Tried the USB 2.0 port too. No charge.
And no way to plug it into the Router. I don't believe I will need any transcoding, since we only stream our TV shows to our Roku.

The Passport definitely outputs wifi when charging. I'm using the 5v AC adapter to the USB 3.0 port. The device will not allow wifi when plugged into a device using USB, and the PC to USB does not output sufficient voltage to charge while connected. Hope that helps.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
If transcoding is a concern, the Pi has hardware accelerated h.264 encoding and decoding. I believe up to 30hz encoding and 60hz decoding at 1080p. There's newer boards based on more powerful SoC that will transcode h.265 and 4k video if that's your application.

like i said, if you can direct play it which is hardware based, no issue, but if you have video files that are not direct play then either you need a server that can transcode, or you need to re-encode. encoding is not always fun and can potentially take a long time to do.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I did order a Raspberry Pi 3 to give it a shot. Should be fun. I've wanted one for a couple of years to play with, but had no excuse to get it. Now I do. I've been programming computers for over 35 years. From mainframes to PCs. So this could be really fun! I found a script for setting up the Pi as a Plex Media Server. We'll see how it goes. The router is up where the PMS will be, so a direct connect to the router is a good idea.