cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFiRanger home-made power supply replacement

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
In the 4 years I've had my WiFiRanger, the power pod has failed three times. The company has been good about replacing them - they realized they had a reliability issue. This time they said that the WiFiRanger I have is old and I need to upgrade to their Go2: $235. Not gonna happen.

If you look at the photo, the circuit board in the upper left is what failed. It is exactly a 12V / USB charger (5V power supply). I went down to O'Reillys auto parts and got a USB charger with a 12V socket (I know you can't see it well because it's camo).

After 24 hours, it's still working fine: 5V for the router and 12V (PoE) for the Ubiquiti Bullet on the roof.

I thought I'd share this in case anybody else is having the same problem.
2 REPLIES 2

MrWizard
Joe
Nice job
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a couple of locations in my Trailer using these BLUE SEA USB sockets for alot of my computer items... These all run off my 12VDC power source.

Great to have around...

I am not a big fan of the standard inferior 12VDc sockets like you may find in the autoparts stores... The only ones I will use are the Marine Quality BLUE SEA types that has a matching high quality 12VDC plug.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS