cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Kia Sorrento LX Towing 2016 Little Guy MAX S

croeber
Explorer
Explorer
I want to buy a 2016 Little Guy that has a dry weight of 1670 lbs with my 2014 Kia Sorrento 2.4L that has a 1650 towing capacity. The aftermarket Hitch is adequate. I am hoping somebody will tell me that I can make it work. What do you think? Is the poundage difference anything to work about? My family consists of 2 toddlers and my wife and I. I believe I can store most of my camping supplies in my car.
11 REPLIES 11

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
redgart14 wrote:
I'm curious about the alternative though. Any recommendation?

Who are you asking? What alternative?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

redgart14
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious about the alternative though. Any recommendation?

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
rexlion wrote:
If it had the larger engine, it could tow 3500. That tells me that structurally it can handle it.

Not necessarily. There may be additional features added to the vehicle suspension, frame, and brakes.

For the OP, you're going to be ridiculously over weight capacity with a trailer and your family.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^What he said.
It may be a challenge on the drivetrain but the chassis will handle it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If it had the larger engine, it could tow 3500. That tells me that structurally it can handle it. But the drive train is the limiting factor. I note that you are in FL. If you were taking short camping trips close to home in the flat lands of FL, and if you kept your speed under 55 (wind resistance increases exponentially as speed increases), you could do it. Maybe add an extra transmission cooler. And donโ€™t use the overdrive gear.

Keep in mind that dry weight ratings of trailers are without options, and probably without LP tanks or battery. Youโ€™d probably be in the 2000-2300 lb range, ready for camping. The vehicle will be very slow to accelerate and really sluggish up hills.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With a family of four, you'll be loading 1,400 pounds or so of water, batteries, hitch and stuff to whatever trailer you buy. As the kids grow their camping toys will weigh more...bicycles, horseshoes etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

croeber
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I will have to wait.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not enough capacity.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
If you have your heart set on the Little Guy, you might consider upgrading to a newer Sorrento V6 (5000# capacity), or just go all out and opt for a new Telluride!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Not going to work.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
croeber wrote:
I want to buy a 2016 Little Guy that has a dry weight of 1670 lbs with my 2014 Kia Sorrento 2.4L that has a 1650 towing capacity. The aftermarket Hitch is adequate. I am hoping somebody will tell me that I can make it work. What do you think? Is the poundage difference anything to work about? My family consists of 2 toddlers and my wife and I. I believe I can store most of my camping supplies in my car.

Moving the supplies in the car doesn't help. Plus, the Kia's 1650lbs towing capacity is with only a 150lb driver. So anything in the car, plus the wife and kids, lowers that 1650 number. Plus "dry" weights are fictional numbers. That's with no battery, no propane, no water and no cargo or options.
I wouldn't risk my young family.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes