Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antifreeze recommendations

Kostyan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks

Looking to antifreeze options to winterize a hybrid camper. Objective is to find a quality fluid at the cheap price. My research turned up 2.58/gal SuperTech RV/Marine fluidon WalMart website but it has some bad reviews.

Will probably need like 20 gallons if not bypassing the water heater, is that about right?
2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser by Trail Lite C21RBH
towed by 2012 BMW X5 diesel
29 REPLIES 29

mitw44
Explorer
Explorer
My last two trailers did not have the antifreeze intake lines before the water pump. Here is my general procedure:
1. Drain the hot water heater by removing the hex nut plug that usually contains the anode rod attached to it.
2. Set the bypass valves so water will not go into the hot water tanks.
3. Drain the fresh water tank. After drained close the valve.
4. Open the low point drains and allow them to drain. Reinstall caps.
5. Optionally, I use an air compressor attachment that screws into the city water inlet. My attachment has a quarter turn valve to control air. I have started doing this step recently. I use air to blow out each faucet and the low water drains.
6. I pour 2-3 gallons of antifreeze in the fresh water tank.
7. I turn on the water pump, and open each faucet separately, until antifreeze comes out.
8. I pour antifreeze into each drain, including the toilet bowl.
9. A gallon or two of antifreeze in the black and grey tanks is ok, and winds up there after all the antifreeze pumping.
10. don't forget outside showers and black tank flush lines, if you have them.
2009 F 250 XLT SC 4x4 3.73 LS 5.4L V8
2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 171 RBXL

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an outside shower, don't for get that! Also make sure you run some into the toilet.

If you have a "black tank flush" system, it is best to just blow it out with air IMHO.

Glad you got the WH figured out.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Kostyan
Explorer
Explorer
update. Followed the folks' advice on here, took some finagling with valves but barely took half a gallon to winterize. Made sure antifreeze leaks out of all faucets and the outdoor shower, toilet, and then poured remaining half gallon to drains. It appears that have bypassed water heater successfully because it is empty. This was verified by opening up the valve and removing a large plastic nut on the panel @exterior of the trailer. I think I am done for the winter and want to thank you all on here for advise.

Took some frustration to get there and hope it was not too dumb of a move to pour three gallons of stuff into potable water tank.

Kids were messing around while trying to figure this out so broke off the **** antenna handle. Somehow my antenna got stuck. Going to search on info on fixing this.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Another alternative to using antifreeze is to drain and blow out the remaining water in the system - you need a Blow out Plug which only cost a couple bucks. If you use the forum search feature there will be plenty of threads on this subject.
Kevin

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forums. Its an excellent place to ask questions like this. Is there no one you can ask for help to show you what and how to do this? Its not complicated but you need to learn as much about your trailer as you possibly can to be able to fix things and maintain your rig yourself. It will cost an arm and a leg if you take it to an RV place for this type of stuff......things you need to do yourself. Even when you are at a campground there may be someone willing to show you a thing or 2 if you ask. RVers are a friendly bunch and are usually willing to help out someone that is in need. Good luck.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Shut off water supply, drain water heater, blow out water lines and pour 2 gallons of RV antifreeze in the various drain traps. Done.
this is exactly what I have done for years on my class C. Never has failed me yet.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
SidecarFlip wrote:
...and it foams like crazy when mixed and coming out the faucet. Don't ask me how I know.....

Yes this...other than a waste of money, you will get foamy water from using your fresh tank to winterize. Also, if putting anti-freeze in the water heater, you will be taking foamy showers for a while too.

Use a good anti-freeze, that is not ethanol based. Read the label, the good stuff costs a little more, but worth it.

Jerry

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
...and it foams like crazy when mixed and coming out the faucet. Don't ask me how I know.....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a bit less than a gallon and a half to flush the lines of my 29 foot motorhome that has the fresh water tank and pump in the left front corner, the water heater in the right rear corner, so about 60 feet of cold water lines, 30 feet of hot water lines. This is after draining every line and bypassing the water heater. I run enough out of the taps to fill all of the traps, and flush out the outside shower, still don't go through two gallons.

Your TrailLite almost certainly has some type of hot water heater bypass, although it might not have a winterization inlet ahead of the water pump.

If you bypass the water heater, you need no more than 2-3 gallons, usually less than two. If you drain the fresh water tank, water heater and all lines before starting, and don't bypass, you'll need another six gallons for antifreeze to reach the hot water lines. If you just start out by dumping antifreeze into your fresh water tank, 20 gallons might not be enough to get the water out of everything downstream, because the antifreeze mixes with water and will be diluted.

The downside of dumping antifreeze into your fresh water tank and filling your water heater (besides cost) is the number of fresh water flushes you are going to need in the spring to get the antifreeze out. While the RV antifreeze (if it is the right stuff) is low toxicity, the agent added to make it bitter is quite effective even at very low concentrations.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
As a rule with me, I never fully drain my FW tank. If it freezes in the bottom, it don't hurt anything and my lines all have antifreeze in them anyway. Wrong or right, I drian both my holding tanks and leave the slide valves open and the cap off all winter.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Kostyan wrote:
I took pictures of water heater and plumbing, once figure out how to post pictures on this forum will post them here

Trailer came with Atwood water heater originally but was replaced by prev owner. There are no markings anywhere telling me what the current make model is

When you saying connect to city water and blow the lines out, what exactly do you mean? Does connecting to city water somehow clears lines or i have to blow air through pipeswhile running city water?

It's still an Atwood. Suburbans have a different burner assembly.

You don't need to blow anything, though you can get a Camco blowout plug that connects to your city water inlet as some do (blow out the system with low pressure compressed air) but pumping in RV antifreeze via the hose that lays next to your water pump is the easiest way to winterize and, you can blow out and pump in if you want to. Just be sure you winterize your outside shower and be sure to turn off the valves and not turn it off via the button on the shower head (that applies to the inside bath shower as well.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turn to top valve off, turn the bottom valve off, open the side valve and the water heater is bypassed.
That clear tube connected to the water pump would be the tube to draw up the antifreeze.

Kostyan
Explorer
Explorer
here's the inside compartment, view from the top.
Covered on white plastic is a water heater, and on the right what may be is a furnace. I noticed there is a clear tube connected to water pump but just lays there not connected to anything else

water heater close-up photo. There are three valves, one at the top, one a side, and on the bottom:

and another pic of that compartment

Kostyan
Explorer
Explorer
Here's view through external hatch.