cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering purchasing RV for permanent living

Retirededucator
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome any suggestions/ advice regarding purchasing a travel trailer or 5th Wheel, purchasing a lot (with zoning) and docking my RV for full time living. Will sell house that is too much space and maintenance for me- retired in my mid 60's. Visited several RV dealers to day to get a feel for money and space and the guts to do this. Already learned not to sell house first but to purchase the RV then sell and move due to red tape and "full time" residency. Hoping to eliminate debt as my current too large home is starving for attention, so was already a learning experience. Very nervous about making this transition and not sure why. Lots of "stuff" to deal with, and new lifestyle. Not much into travel any more; don't have vehicle for towing anyway. Would rather purchase a brand new trailer but realize the depreciation etc but concerned about buying someone's problems. Just me and my 2 Russianblues.
Thoughts are welcomed.
EDIT:Edit: my plan explained: live in rv temporarily for couple of years on lot to build cabin later. Full time residency meaning docking it for a few years to build cabin later on same lot. "Full time r v " . Not wanting to establish other permanent residency in mobile park, fees associated with condo, pricing, etc though appreciate the advice. Would not be gaining anything. Have nice home - just need less space so transition is to get to a new cabin- 1000 sq ft. RV would be purchased as temporary living space to get there and assumed "full time rving" would be the same. What I am hearing is a travel trailer and 5th wheel isn't really full time status. and need to upgrade? Full time rving explained? Thanks.
26 REPLIES 26

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
For your โ€œplanโ€, living in a camper trailer for a couple years is a good option. You wonโ€™t have many additional costs other than the purchase of a trailer and normal utility fees.

Your capital costs for developing the site are part of the cost to build your cabin, save for a small amount for a RV pad and possibly a more convienent water/sewer/power hookup.
$15k will get you a nice used trailer that if taken care of will have a decent residual value when youโ€™re done with it.
Laundry? Presuming you donโ€™t get one fancy enough with a washer/dryer, youโ€™re in the SE. A little shed/ laundry room would work.

Consider what types of work you could reasonably self perform to help stay within your budget.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Retirededucator wrote:
Welcome any suggestions/ advice regarding purchasing a travel trailer or 5th Wheel, purchasing a lot (with zoning) and docking my RV for full time living. Will sell house that is too much space and maintenance for me- retired in my mid 60's. Visited several RV dealers to day to get a feel for money and space and the guts to do this. Already learned not to sell house first but to purchase the RV then sell and move due to red tape and "full time" residency. Hoping to eliminate debt as my current too large home is starving for attention, so was already a learning experience. Very nervous about making this transition and not sure why. Lots of "stuff" to deal with, and new lifestyle. Not much into travel any more; don't have vehicle for towing anyway. Would rather purchase a brand new trailer but realize the depreciation etc but concerned about buying someone's problems. Just me and my 2 Russianblues.
Thoughts are welcomed.
EDIT:Edit: my plan explained: live in rv temporarily for couple of years on lot to build cabin later. Full time residency meaning docking it for a few years to build cabin later on same lot. "Full time r v " . Not wanting to establish other permanent residency in mobile park, fees associated with condo, pricing, etc though appreciate the advice. Would not be gaining anything. Have nice home - just need less space so transition is to get to a new cabin- 1000 sq ft. RV would be purchased as temporary living space to get there and assumed "full time rving" would be the same. What I am hearing is a travel trailer and 5th wheel isn't really full time status. and need to upgrade? Full time rving explained? Thanks.

Been there done that,bought 3 acres lived in my TC,cut down trees on a property built a cabin..drilled water well,was lucky powerline was on the road..
If I was building house again would use these panels..beats anything else on eficiency strength and longevity..

http://www.tridipanel.com

You or me arent the only one doing this,,biggest problem is finding property not too secluded unless thats what you want,

https://youtu.be/k8oWl-kJ8Rw

Retirededucator
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Having read your edit explaining the temporary nature of your plan, I would offer a couple of observations. First, once you factor in the up front cost of the trailer, propane for heating and cooking, figuring out where to do laundry, etc. you may not save as much on living expenses as you might think. Can you live with a tiny fridge and a six gallon water heater? Will electrical service, water, and sewer be available on site?

Second, if you decide to do it, I'd look at used units, since I assume you'll want to sell it once your cabin is finished. You take a big depreciation hit when buying new, and the wear and tear of full time living will not help.

Yes thank you. I spoke with someone about a septic system and electricity on the lot and how I might utilize. Have even approximated costs but this expense will remain for long term- for the home. (Additional decisions) Yes, laundry is a factor - 2 loads a week though.. My other concerns would be the RV infrastructure to withstand or support septic, other stuff etc. And these are things I need to consider. I do understand RV is not for "permanent" living and not the quality of even a mobile home. I have read about the workmanship of most brands, the constant repairs- even minor.
Used options usually equate to older models but does this necessarily mean lower quality infrastructure in an RV? age versus wear and tear to last a few years?
Would newer RV's be of better quality for my temporary housing but yet depreciating rapidly?
Many of the new RV's have "residential" refrigerators in them. Not sure I really need that- can adapt for a few years. And yes, spending more on a RV to reach my comfort level will in the end be thrown away- thus defeating my saving for the home. And yes these are the things I want to be reminded of. It is finding that price range, that comparison -the "diminishing return". RV appears to be the option though as compared to renting, apartments, tiny homes, mobile homes etc but is it really doable. Deposits, set up, pets, etc defeat these other options. which has led me to the RV idea. Thank you. Appreciate your thoughts.

Retirededucator
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Y wrote:
Tiny homes are quite popular right now and would be built better than most RVs. Or, a Park model RV which is meant to be set in one place and stay there.

Priced tiny homes from several sources: Minimum $50000 and some as much as 86,000. RV would be much more cost effective, resale etc. (Tumbleweed was one quote) Many are out of business and I can see why. PRICE ISN'T TINY. Ridiculous actually. Can get a regular home for 20,000 + tiny home, in this area, but the point of my topic is to consider building a home, and finding temporary housing in the interim- cutting costs and in an RV. Think my post needed more clarification because it has misled others to suggest other housing. I am not looking for long term "permanent" housing in an RV. - just temporary while I build a home and wanted feedback on doing this. My usage of "permanent" should have been "temporary for 1- 2 years". My error. Thanks though for your suggestion. Tiny homes and the pricing was quite shocking.

Retirededucator
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Nothing wrong with your plan, buy used. Lots of full timers in RV's.

Coworkers of mine did exactly what you proposed, and saved money living in a fiver until they could afford to have a log house built. Then they moved the fiver to the cabin and lived in the trailer while they finished the cabin themselves.

THANK you as I have been watching many You Tubes, plus read an article which has prompted me to look into this. There is a couple that did this- and just like your post, still worked at their jobs and docked on their lot, and even extended their living for an extra year and according to them, saved money. Their permanent home finally completed. I too work, but equating those that drive to sleep at night, and dock for short periods. I work which perhaps I am missing something but do see this happening a lot now. Buying a lot as this couple did provide the opportunity to establish things that will be permanent such as storage and driveways, etc. when building is complete. Also allowed them to store their belongings for their home on the property. The area I live in has lakes and many "permanent" rving - parked for months- extended stays and then might relocate. Many are 5th wheels while some are travel trailers. Plenty of people doing this according to the many YouTubes and the area I live in so quite surprised to receive such a variety of comments. Was searching for feedback on things to think about regarding RV purchases, lifestyles in the different classes without Class A- which is big bucks Perhaps I will visit the park and "interview" those that are actually doing it and in Trav T's and 5's. Several parks here and always full. Not a perfect resolution but toward a long term goal. Many Thanks,.

Retirededucator
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
Surprised nobody has touched on the obvious & most important item. Utilities.

Where are you going to get water from & where are you going to get power from? Then there is that little matter of what do you plan to do about sewage?

You were not thinking it was as simple as parking it on your property & living happily ever after were you?

I mentioned them.

Living on lot for hopes of building means installation of septic system and electricity - toward permanent building., even gas. Already approximated this price, permits, ordinances,, and costs into the plan. Have spoken with two counties and other RVers regarding this in this area. Full time rving - people drive, sleep at night, dock for awhile. I work come home and sleep in RV - similar situation.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP. I don't think you are going to save any money carrying through with the plan you have outlined. It will most likely end up costing you a lot more and additional headaches in the meantime.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:

Where are you going to get water from & where are you going to get power from? Then there is that little matter of what do you plan to do about sewage?

You were not thinking it was as simple as parking it on your property & living happily ever after were you?

I mentioned them.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with your plan, buy used. Lots of full timers in RV's.

Coworkers of mine did exactly what you proposed, and saved money living in a fiver until they could afford to have a log house built. Then they moved the fiver to the cabin and lived in the trailer while they finished the cabin themselves.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
A park model might fill the bill and allow you to add on to the park model for a more permanent situation.

http://parkmodels.com/cabins/
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Having read your edit explaining the temporary nature of your plan, I would offer a couple of observations. First, once you factor in the up front cost of the trailer, propane for heating and cooking, figuring out where to do laundry, etc. you may not save as much on living expenses as you might think. Can you live with a tiny fridge and a six gallon water heater? Will electrical service, water, and sewer be available on site?

Second, if you decide to do it, I'd look at used units, since I assume you'll want to sell it once your cabin is finished. You take a big depreciation hit when buying new, and the wear and tear of full time living will not help.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like something like this would meet your needs. Agree with others - typical trailer isn't made for full time living.
Kevin

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
If you're not interested in travel why don't you just buy a mobile home in a nice park? They are better insulated for hot and cold temps.

X2 ^^. (Or a park model.) MUCH more practical if you're not traveling.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015