cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need a special license to drive an RV?

frankgibbons194
Explorer
Explorer
I was searching in the forums related to a topic regarding the special license required to drive an RV.

Unfortunately, nothing shows up. So, I've decided to create a topic about it.

If you’re looking at an especially large RV, it is important to note that there are a few states that will require a special license. Read more.
24 REPLIES 24

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
I had only a Class B licence when I wanted to buy an RV. So, I had to pass PCV theory test. By the way, I found the way to practice online (in case you are interested, check this source). And it should be mentioned that you have to be 18 to get this type of license.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
DrewE wrote:

It would appear that one still only needs a standard operator's license, as far as I can make out from the web sites, but if you're in or about to be in that particular set of circumstances it would behoove you to enquire at the appropriate government offices. They do explicitly say you don't need a CDL, as is true everywhere; and as there don't appear to me to be any other applicable non-commercial license classifications, I gather that a standard license is all that is required. (There is an additional endorsement needed for recreational double towing--i.e. a fifth wheel RV plus some other trailer.)

I did check and they explicitly stated I don't need a CDL... however, I have learned to never trust this as being legal advice. Reading the plain language of the statute, it appears there's a hole in the published law.

Could be like here in Tx. On first page of commercial handbook says RV's exempt. Then several paragraphs into the regs is the " exceptions to the exemptions " and there is the >26000 lb rules for non-CDL requirements of the higher weights.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Some states require a special endorsement. Some require it if you are over xxxxx pounds... And the number of pounds varies from state to state. YOUR HOME STATE (That is the one that issues your license) makes the decidsions.
EXAMPLE. at Less than 26,000 pounds from Michigan I need only an "Operators" (Standard Driver's license)
IN Texas over 26000 pounds I'd need an endorsement. Under 26000 I do not know. Actually I do not know if it's 26000 pounds either.

In Ontario, with a regular license, Class G, you are allowed to drive any car, van or small truck or combination of vehicle and towed vehicle up to 11,000 kilograms, 24,310 lbs., provided the vehicle towed is not over 4,600 kilograms. A pickup truck towing a house trailer exceeds 4,600 kilograms, but the total combined weight of the truck and trailer does not exceed 11,000 kilograms is deemed a Class G.
If you drive a MH exceeding 11,000 kilograms, 24,310 lbs, or your registered gross weight or any combination including your trailer or toad is over 11,000 kgs provided the towed vehicle is not over 4,600 kilograms, you need a Class D license.

License regulations and classes are similar in many other provinces and states.

YMMV with this as well. I would stick to the 11k kilo GCVWR with G lic though just for safety sake.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
In NC if your motorhome is over 26000 you are suppose to get your license upgraded to a B instead of C. That is what I did when I had my dp. I also got my air brake endorsement. I expect you just need to check with your state DMV.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:

It would appear that one still only needs a standard operator's license, as far as I can make out from the web sites, but if you're in or about to be in that particular set of circumstances it would behoove you to enquire at the appropriate government offices. They do explicitly say you don't need a CDL, as is true everywhere; and as there don't appear to me to be any other applicable non-commercial license classifications, I gather that a standard license is all that is required. (There is an additional endorsement needed for recreational double towing--i.e. a fifth wheel RV plus some other trailer.)

I did check and they explicitly stated I don't need a CDL... however, I have learned to never trust this as being legal advice. Reading the plain language of the statute, it appears there's a hole in the published law.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Not all states do but they should, for any type RV. Driving an A,b,C, or pulling a TT or 5W all need skills not used driving the family car. The biggest is you can not see what directly behind you as the rear view mirror is useless.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on what state you are in as each has it's own requirements, or nothing special . Check with your licensing department for your state.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
EXAMPLE. at Less than 26,000 pounds from Michigan I need only an "Operators" (Standard Driver's license)

What happens if it's a Truck and 5th over 26k, but still privately owned?

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:
You need to check with your own state DWV requirements. Every state is different.

Exactly what you have to do. My state requires an A non-CDL if combined gvwr exceeds 26000 lbs. It's not enforced except if a major problem occurs.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:

What happens if it's a Truck and 5th over 26k, but still privately owned?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven several people to the NY DMV 'R' endorsement road test. They've all told me it was even simpler than the standard car license driving test. I have the 'R' endorsement although my current rig doesn't require it, but I got mine on request when I dropped my fully endorsed CDL. No road test needed.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
Ava wrote:
In Canada if you have a rig with air brakes, you need an air brake endorsment on your license. Not sure about different US states

I think Pennsylvania requires an Air Brake Endorsement.

Remember My "Your millage may vary" comment.

now why woudl Pa require me to have an air brake endorsement for my 38' Class A.. It's a gasser. Hydraulic brakes.. NOT AIR.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
States vary. Check with your resident state and that license is valid in any state you drive in. ie License reciprocity applies.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Captain_Happy wrote:
You need to check with your own state DWV requirements. Every state is different.

This is the succinct and accurate answer is this ^.
But thanks to the others who somehow feel an overtly literal or condescending response was warranted.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold