cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding a Mechanic for Suspension Issues: Southern Wisconsin

JustJosh
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. Very first post as a new owner of a very old 1986 Toyota Escaper with 72,000 miles.

I've been trying to figure out where to find a mechanic to take a look at (and perhaps do some significant maintence) on my brakes and suspension system. As it turns out, none of my regular mechanics even want to look at it. I guess the rear axel has to be taken off to get to the rear drum brakes (?), and there is also a rear air suspension system involved.

Any suggestions on how to find a mechanic? I'm in Southern Wisconsin. Somewhere between Madison and Wisconsin would be great, maybe even Northern Illinois if that helps....

Thank you for any help anyone can provide.
4 REPLIES 4

stevepk
Explorer
Explorer
Badger Utility in Madison
2018 F-250
2017 Prime Time Avenger ATI 27RKS

JustJosh
Explorer
Explorer
smthbros wrote:
Bee Line Alignment in Janesville can likely help with suspension work, and maybe brakes also.

Thank you. I'll keep them in mind.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had an '88 Toyota Escaper. Do you have a true one ton dual wheel full floater axle or do you have the lighter duty axle with foolie (fake ) dual wheels.
Either way, you do not have to remove the entire rear axle assembly to do a brake job. You do have to pull the axle out of the housing to get things apart. Find any good mechanic that works on trucks and they will be able to do the job. You mechanic may not know what he is doing so finding someplace else is a good idea.
Many of the older (ralative term here) had the original rear axle replaced with a full floating axle. If you have 5 lug front wheels and 6 lug rear wheels, this happened. It was a fix to a problem that Toyota paid for.
There is a web group that specializes in Toyota based RV's. Go to http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums
Those people have a correct answer to every question you can imagine. They helped me through many problems.
Their forum currently has a conversation going on about brakes and suspension repair in southern WI. This is the link http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/12293-wisconsin-mechanics-somewhere-between-madison-and-milwaukeeor-maybe-northern-illinois-near-the-wisconsin-boarder/
You can send me a personal message and we can talk. If you wish, pm your phone number and I will contact you.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

smthbros
Explorer
Explorer
Bee Line Alignment in Janesville can likely help with suspension work, and maybe brakes also.