cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

freezer solutions for new rv'er/elk hunter. Arctic Fox 990

new2this44
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. Silly question that has me hung up in the planning stages...are there any economical ways to acquire 7 cubic feet of freezer space in a truck camper? That's about what I need in order to store a quartered elk.

How hard would it be to convert the 990s' fridge/freezer into one big freezer? The only other solution I can think of is to purchase a propane chest freezer for thousands of dollars. Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
there are a lot of reviews on youtube for 12volt ref/freezers. That is what some of the nomads living in there vans cars or campers use. Many run them on solar power.

exaple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29GD6bvzUJ0

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Powering it full time presuming you'll be in the back country quite a bit (I would if I was FT in a TC!) will be a challenge. I'm not familiar with propane freezers though.
Was gonna suggest little chest freezer on a hitch rack but that ain't practical full time.

Not a lot of room in a TC to put a freezer even if you run a generator daily to keep it frozen. Only thing I can think is if you don't use the oven you might fit one in place of the stove and just use a campstove or portable cook top on top of it. And a 120v pizza oven for when you gotta have a frozen pizza or biscuits or ......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
We carried a " dorm " size freezer in our trailer for a while , ran it off an inverter and a pair of golf cart batts. We could go 3 and 4 days without recharging .

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I know this idea is pretty far out there, and it would require a lot of labor,. But you could also can it. That would be a good way to go if you donโ€™t want to get a freezer, donโ€™t want to change the arctic fox,

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
That's the nice thing about beer. You can drink it cold or warm.
No refrigeration needed. ๐Ÿ™‚

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
new2this44 wrote:
Thank you all very much for your ideas! I'm looking in to all of the suggestions. A lot to think about!

To clarify, I'll be full-timing in the camper. There will be no dedicated hunting site. I'll hunt again when I run out of meat/there is room in the freezer.

In that case, I would be looking at the Engle units someone else mentioned.

You need efficiency if you won't be plugged in all the time. These unit are designed for that.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
new2this44 wrote:
Thank you all very much for your ideas! I'm looking in to all of the suggestions. A lot to think about!

To clarify, I'll be full-timing in the camper. There will be no dedicated hunting site. I'll hunt again when I run out of meat/there is room in the freezer.

That changes the equation from what I'm used to seeing. I would still look at a small chest freezer, generator or primarily solar and more batteries on a small utility trailer, before I would swap out the fridge for a freezer.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Small chest freezer with a generator big enough to run it?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
front hitch with a small freezer .I have one works off 12V or 120v.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
front hitch with a small freezer .I have one works off 12V or 120v.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Have a butcher/packer freeze it and ship it to your house.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

new2this44
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
7 Cubic feet s 209 Quarts
1300 dollars gets you 34 quarts
I have a slightly smaller one

Now they make ice boxes (Hard coolers) up to 220 quarts)

https://www.engelcoolers.com/mt60f-u1-mt60f-u1-ac-dc-fridge-freezer.html
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
some of the out of state hunters I run into here in Colorado have a chest freezer on a small utility trailer and a generator. Once the freezer is cold, it will stay frozen for a few days easily, if unopened.

Personally, I like to hang my game for a few days before freezing, if at all possible.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er