Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, 1st RV Trip in a Week!

Margali
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

We are starting our RV adventures with a trip next week. We are renting a Gulstream Innsbruck 19DS to visit people over the 4th. Our tow vehicle is a 2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar Quad cab with the factory tow kit including brake controller.

It is going to be an adventure with the kids- 5yr, 2yr, 2mo. We are camping at grandma's house for a few days then at a state park. Water & electric hook ups at both locations.

Any advice for newbies with kids? Husband has pulled job trailers before but this is first time camping with RV.
5 REPLIES 5

Margali
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone thanks for all the advice. We just got back and the trip went great! The RV let us enjoy the trip despite the 100+ temps.

The first 30gals of fresh water lasted until final wash-up before heading home. The 36/36 grey and black lasted us the whole trip with 3 people using the toilet (youngest 2 in diapers).

The RV was kinda cramped for a week and the slide blew a fuse each time we operated it. Biggest issues spacewise were top bunk not reachable by my kids and dinnette sized for midgets. I think we will rent a ~26' non slider next time.

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Your grey and black tanks will fill quickly with 5 on board. If you have a sewer connection and can dump not an issue. If not, plan to use shower houses and restrooms as much as possible.

What a grand adventure ahead. I agree - note things that worked well for you and what you wish the trailer had to be more livable for you. Pay attention to function and comfort, sleeping arrangements, storage needs and privacy or lack there in.

I have many great memories starting in tents to towables and am now on 20+ years of Motorhome travel. Grand life and wonderful memorie. May you have a wonderful trip and begin your own memories!!!

Margali
Explorer
Explorer
The rental comes with a weight distributing hitch not that I think we need it. The door sticker says 6,900 towing capacity while VIN lookup that has trailer package says 8,250. The RV is 3,100 per brochure.

We are driving up with fresh water tank empty. Plan is to fill it up when we get there and not leave the city water hookup constantly. I think we should be okay on grey water tankage that way. Fresh is 30 gal and 36 gal each black and grey.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Since you wont be playing with load balancing and a WD hitch , load some extra weight forward, its not a heavy trailer so a little nose heavy until you have some feel for the rig will help with stability.
Pay attention to tank levels, thats a small trailer with small water tanks, I know you said you would have hookups at both places, but having a hose to supply water does not equate to unlimited water storage for sinks, showers etc. a 36 gallon grey tank fills quickly with three kids and bathing etc.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Relax!

Do it!

Enjoy it!

Tale along a pad and pencil to note what you want to do differently next time, supplies and equipment you didn't have, points about the trailer that you really appreciate, and the points that bother you.

Now you will be ready to start the search for your own trailer.

Make sure both of you fully understand the tank dumping procedure before you leave the dealer's lot.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"