cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me understand roof maint..

DatacomGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The manual that came with my Cruiser isn't very impressive.

I'd rather get real world input on what i need to be doing and how often.

I'm coming up this month to a year ownership as original owner. I store out in the sun, no shade. What should i be doing right now?'

Or.. any links or blog entries i should read? THANKS!
2015 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS | 2015 Ford Expedition XLT HD Tow
Equal-i-zer E4 12K# WDH
6 REPLIES 6

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming it is rubber material. I wash mine 2 or 3 times a year. Prior to washing the roof I take my plastic covers off my air conditioners and clean my air fins.

Then I inspect the entire roof, including the edge trim. I inspect all cut outs where vents, antenna, or anything else comes up through the membrane. If I find any places where the sealant looks weak or worn I re-seal it.

IMHO the roof doesn't need to stay perfectly clean, but you have to pay attention to it and keep stuff from growing up there.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

sonicsix
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a rubber roof (the most common type), look for obvious holes or tears. Repair them with Dicor or Eternabond. If the original Dicor is in bad shape, consider replacing it with new Dicor or Eternabond. BE sure to check closely around all vents, antennas, etc for cracking of the sealant. Here is a guide to installing Eternabond. Hope this helps!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I crawl around on our roof and take a look at what's going on.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We check seam sealant on our roof twice a year and touch up any spots where it might be cracking with Dicor. We do the same with exterior lights and other protrusions using ProFlex.

pop-sicle
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure someone will come along with better advice .... still new to this myself, but to start it would be best if you provided more information on your coach. ..what roof material. ..fiberglass or rubber?

First get on roof and check all seams for good sealing of caulk.
Clean roof .. wax or seal fiberglass, one year old rubber should just need cleaning and no additional sealing.

Do a search on this forum should provide a lot of information.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of roof?