cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I didn't buy an RV

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I did the second home bit and it was great while the kids were growing up. But now we're kind of lonely and the rv crowd is more aloof. I've owned a half dozen class c, vans, class a and a dozen or more tt's.

The thing that bothers me the most is lack of training. I know from experience living in the USA for a while that anyone with a reg Florida drivers license can drive off with a 55000lb class a and have no training. That scares me more than the drunk drivers out there.

So why should I buy another rv?

https://blog.cheapism.com/rv-for-sale/#slide=2

So I opted for a boat - maybe a slightly better choice given that it's steel. And solid - it doesn't roll when you walk the decks at night. The maintenance was high because it had been in saltwater. But now it's in fresh (Amazon Riv) so the bottom jobs won't be needed every three years. And the corrosion is minimal now.

https://www.smartliving365.com/smart...-home-rv-boat/

Since moving to the marina - the people are more accepting of quirky people and help out far more. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend a week long rental cruiser and see what you're missing. That is before you decide on an rv.
Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper - SOLD
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion - leased out
Panana - 1976 > 16m Skookum ketch
38 REPLIES 38

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
In the cafeteria at work today they offered Flat Iron Steak and they also offered Ice Cream Sundaes. Now, I like both.... a lot! But my tummy had room for only 1. I selected the Ice Cream and thoroughly enjoyed it as my entire lunch! The person standing beside me got the steak. He thoroughly enjoyed his too. We were both happy.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"So I opted for a boat - maybe a slightly better choice given that it's steel. And solid - it doesn't roll when you walk the decks at night."

Must be a mighty big boat not to roll when you walk the deck.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
A boat is a great, low-maintenance, low stress, easily operated RV... as long as you stay tied to a dock. We traveled 1000’s of miles in our 49’ trawler and enjoyed every minute (except the time it was so rough the cat threw up), but when we decided we wanted less stress and maintenance we sold the boat and bought a class B.

Different strokes for different folks. I hope you enjoy you boat as much as we did ours.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmmm...campground lake (or pool) or a river filled with piranhas? I'll take the campground! 🙂

Well, whatever floats your boat, literally. We've always found our fellow camper neighbors to be very friendly.

Have fun!

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
I owned several boats. All were fishing boats. Finally got feed up with the newer group of boaters and sold mine. Too many people with no regard for rules of right of way. Run around all day towing someone on a float with massive speakers, ignoring wake zones, and boating drunk.

We are already up to 25 boating deaths here in Alabama. Don't here about a lot of people being killed in RV parks and campgrounds.

Beaches are getting just as bad. overcrowded, with a bunch of people that think no one else matters.

Most of the time we stay in COE campgrounds, Holidays are a zoo so we stay home. The rest of the time they are pretty quiet.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If you think RV crowd is "aloof" then you camp in places I haven't. Maybe you should stick with boats.
Kevin

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Been my experience that up here on the Great Lakes, there are a whole bunch of boaters that should be landlubbers.

Idiots are everywhere in everything. If you can afford to buy it, being a trained and conscientious operator is not mandatory. We have a boat and an RV.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link that may be of some use to you...

Happy sailing
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
I think its apples and oranges. Boating is a whole different things. Personally, I have found the vast majority of campers to be helpful and friendly.