cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving dog at campsite

Sixgun4559
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I'm Kevin and I just purchased my first travel trailer. I searched the forum however didn't find anything that matched my question. We will be taking our 50lbs mix breed "mutt" Murphy with us when we go to different campgrounds. Murphy loves to be outside and he's not quite a year old yet. He's crate trained and is not allowed to roam free of the house when we're not home. Mostly because I have two small children and he will chew up the toys.
We have a large dog cage that he sleeps in with a water supply connected to it. I was wondering if while at campgrounds I could leave my dog in the cage, with water while the family
60 REPLIES 60

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
It doesn't take much to be smarter than the average dog.

In my sixty two years of experience the same can be said of the average human.

Agreed - I am 62 also. :B
There is something special about camping in an RV.

LiudwigXIX
Explorer
Explorer
I can not understand people who leave their dogs in cars during summer or when it is very hot or cold outside, they can die. Why did they buy a dog if they don't care of them? I have a dog and I take care of him and when it is possible I always bring him with me, only once left him in the car for 7 minutes but with air conditioning, because I was worried about him. Moreover, I try to feed him with the best food, I always buy from ***Link Removed***https://woofbarkgrowl.co.uk/wainwrights-dog-food/, because it is based on natural ingredients and my dog likes it a lot. By the way, my dog's name is Ricky.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:

In my sixty two years of experience the same can be said of the average human.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JMO, but for the most part dogs are not the problem. Dog owners are the problem. A dog is a dog. It is not some cutesy fur baby. At best as smart as it will ever be is dumber than a 2 year old human.

I will never forget the time a guy rolled into a site next to me & out came one of those dog corrals. Uh Oh... Next out of the moho came about 5 of those yappy ankle biters. I'm thinking this is not good. He puts a shield around the outside of the corral. Now the ankle biters can't see out to bark at anything. They go out to dinner leaving the ankle biters in the moho. Not a sound from the little dears. They have pulled all of the curtains so the dogs can't see outside & they have left the TV on loud enough so that they can't hear anything outside either. Didn't hear a peep out of those show mutts all night.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
And i hate to get dragged into this, but folks,

*SNIP some useless verbiage*

I have begun to think that dog owners are the most Clueless people in the world.

Whenever you hear "but" in a sentence you can disregard everything said prior to it. This is a perfect example and the reason for his "but" was in the final sentence.

If find clueless campers, drivers and people generally all around me. In my opinion you are quite probably clueless in at least one facet of your existence.

I'm typing from my campground right now. This morning we went to a store thirty minutes away because our air pump had broken and the kids wanted water rafts and the like. As mentioned before, my German Shepherd came with us. The wife wanted some sundries but it was high seventies and sunny so the dog couldn't be in the car for long. I have remote start that brings on climate control for 10 minutes so he stayed in the car. I went in and told the wife I'd find the air pump, drop it in the cart and return to the dog which I did.

I can stand a quarter of a mile from my truck and start it which I do sometimes when the dog is in there because I fear the most clueless twits on the planet. Other human beings that see a dog in a car in summer and with no care for it's condition either break windows to "give them air" or call the police who break windows because, well, it's fun.

If the clueless amongst us want to be helpful learn to recognize a dog in distress from heat. Clue: simply panting isn't distress, my dog does it in a Michigan winter.

Good for you and your dog. I leave my temp stik in the truck and leave it running if I need to take the dogs with us when we make a run to the store for something. I have the temp stik set to check every 15 mins. My worse fear is some idiot will smash the window to steal the truck and like you said some will break the window since the dog is in there. My rot/shepard mix may not like that!!
As far as this thread some folks want to complain and just KNOW they are correct. Safe travels.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
And i hate to get dragged into this, but folks,

*SNIP some useless verbiage*

I have begun to think that dog owners are the most Clueless people in the world.

Whenever you hear "but" in a sentence you can disregard everything said prior to it. This is a perfect example and the reason for his "but" was in the final sentence.

If find clueless campers, drivers and people generally all around me. In my opinion you are quite probably clueless in at least one facet of your existence.

I'm typing from my campground right now. This morning we went to a store thirty minutes away because our air pump had broken and the kids wanted water rafts and the like. As mentioned before, my German Shepherd came with us. The wife wanted some sundries but it was high seventies and sunny so the dog couldn't be in the car for long. I have remote start that brings on climate control for 10 minutes so he stayed in the car. I went in and told the wife I'd find the air pump, drop it in the cart and return to the dog which I did.

I can stand a quarter of a mile from my truck and start it which I do sometimes when the dog is in there because I fear the most clueless twits on the planet. Other human beings that see a dog in a car in summer and with no care for it's condition either break windows to "give them air" or call the police who break windows because, well, it's fun.

If the clueless amongst us want to be helpful learn to recognize a dog in distress from heat. Clue: simply panting isn't distress, my dog does it in a Michigan winter.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I've never stayed at a campground that said no unattended pets. Leash requirements, yes, which we abide by when the dogs are not inside, but never a rule about unattended pets. I wouldn't stay at a campground that had that rule either.

Our last experience w/ barking dogs was in June. The people next to us had 2 little dogs (it's usually the little ones that are the worst) that as soon as they left, they'd bark for a half hour straight. So dogs behaving differently when owners are gone are not lost on me, but unless someone is right next to our camper making noise, I know for a fact mine don't bark (we draw all blinds so they cannot see outside). Just like at home they don't bark unless someone rings the bell/knocks or is walking right along our fence.

For the record, how did my dogs (we have 3 bigger ones) respond to their barking dogs? Completely ignored them and played with each other and/or their toys we had for them. I'd rather listen to barking dogs than screaming/shreiking/crying children.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley, again, i am not attacking you. Even if i disagree with how you treat your dogs, you have every right to do as you wish within the law and the rules of the CGs that you stay at. I am glad you look at the rules concerning unattended dogs and wish others would also do so and abide by them. Or find somewhere else to spread their audiojoy.

And i hate to get dragged into this, but folks, i really dont care about alcohol in CGs. If you arent harming anyone by breaking the rules (and thats by THEIR perception, not yours since you are the rule breaker) then who cares.
And I have lost count of how many people have told me that theiir dog doesnt bark when they are gone when i know **** well that they do. I have begun to think that dog owners are the most Clueless people in the world.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but Lantley (and others), do you read the CG rules about dogs when you stay there? Personally i read the rules (all of them, not just dog rules) before i show up at a place and if i dont like them i spend my money elsewheres. I am dead serious that i have never been in a CG that isnt very specific that dogs arent allowed to be left unattended.
fwiw, i rarely stay in resort type or state park CGs. Maybe thats the difference in our experiences.

Every campground does not have rules concerning unattended dogs.
I agree some do but many don't certainly not all.
I am confident my dog does not disturb the peace.
The CG will not no he is there because he is not a yapper.
If a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear?
If a dog is awaiting quietly in the camper does anybody know?

For the record there are lots of CG rules in place to give the CG absolute authority if they need it.
Your group is too loud after quiet hour ....no we were not....you are still in violation ...no alcohol permitted.

Your dog was barking... no he wasn't.... You are still in violation for leaving dog unattended

I am not the camping outlaw you imply. I have camped for many years and have not had an encounters with management concerning my dog.
I understand the rules and there intended purpose.

Agree. I am not a "rule outlaw either". As a matter of fact I cannot think of one cg I have stayed in that had a problem when I had to leave our fur babies by themselves. Heck, I give most of them a key to the fiver in case something happened and they needed to get the dogs out. I show the host what I have on my smart phone in regard to my keeping an eye on them and generally they are pleased I am that diligent. With all the threads on this I understand there are folks who have had not so pleasant experiences with barking dogs but that does not make the majority of us rebels.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Campground doesn't know I have an autoformer in my storage compartment either, and they don't need to. Just like my unattended dog.

I once drank a beer out of a coffee mug in a dry campground too, so yeah I'm a bit of a rebel. :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
CFerguson wrote:
I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but Lantley (and others), do you read the CG rules about dogs when you stay there? Personally i read the rules (all of them, not just dog rules) before i show up at a place and if i dont like them i spend my money elsewheres. I am dead serious that i have never been in a CG that isnt very specific that dogs arent allowed to be left unattended.
fwiw, i rarely stay in resort type or state park CGs. Maybe thats the difference in our experiences.

Every campground does not have rules concerning unattended dogs.
I agree some do but many don't certainly not all.
I am confident my dog does not disturb the peace.
The CG will not know he is there because he is not a yapper.
If a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear?
If a dog is awaiting quietly in the camper does anybody know?

For the record there are lots of CG rules in place to give the CG absolute authority if they need it.
Your group is too loud after quiet hour ....no we were not....you are still in violation ...no alcohol permitted.

Your dog was barking... no he wasn't.... You are still in violation for leaving dog unattended

I am not the camping outlaw you imply. I have camped for many years and have not had an encounters with management concerning my dog.
I understand the rules and their intended purpose.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Dogs are pack animals and are programmed to follow their masters. The often behave quite differently on their own with the owners away.

There is another major issue. Many dogs bark a lot. Their owners get used to that. The neighbors are less likely to enjoy the noise.

We never leave the dog behind when we are not at the campsite. We have been to too many places where folks have done so and had to listen to their dog/s barking all day, or every time they heard a noise, or every time someone walked down the loop road. I've never been to a public campground where if it does not have a specific rule against leaving dogs alone, it certainly has a general noise rule where you can not disturb other campers, or something along those lines. We personally have never turned anyone in, but have been close to doing so a few times, and have seen where folks were turned in for it by others on too many occasions to remember, They received a visit from the Ranger or other management. Any RV is not close to soundproof, even a top of the line class A.

We do not go to private/commercial campgrounds or RV parks much, maybe 3 times in 18 years, but I imagine they also have rules along the same lines and since you're typically packed in like a sardine I would think it would make them that much worse.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not leave dogs unattended. They make noise. They get too hot, they get tangled up. Learn to take your dogs with you.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dogs are pack animals and are programmed to follow their masters. The often behave quite differently on their own with the owners away.

There is another major issue. Many dogs bark a lot. Their owners get used to that. The neighbors are less likely to enjoy the noise.