Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long term boon docking

20acreheaven
Explorer
Explorer
This is my first post, go easy....

The wife and I decided to ditch the rental and get a TT to live on our property while going through the building process. We currently have no utilities and expect to be a year to 18 months without any hookups. I'm opening myself up to a broad array of topics here, but looking for any advice I can get. A few things specifically:

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
1. As much as I wanted a metal shelter, it just isn't feasible for a temporary location, so we're planning to leave it out in the open with a metal carport serving as a patio. Are there extra maintenance steps I should take since the popout will be extended the entire time?

2. Pest control - found a product called Mouse Free online and being in a wooded area I'm seriously considering applying it. Figure I'll thoroughly inspect the underside and plug any holes with steel wool and try to illuminate the outside somehow. Anyone ever have a problem with yellowjackets though?

3. Thinking of pulling the toilet and placing a composting toilet in the bathroom. If anyone's ever done that I'd love to hear how it went. I really don't want to drag it into town every few weeks to dump the black tank and if I used a portable tank I'd have to get it up in the truck to use the nearest neighbor's septic.

4. For power I'm planning on a Champion dual fuel 3800 W generator and a small solar kit for the batteries (TT has a furrion outlet pre-wired) Noise isn't an issue and I figure the tv is the only thing I need to worry about "dirty" power with, hoping a UPS will prevent any damage the few times we watch tv.

Any tips and advice or things I haven't thought of are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Living the dream on my 20 acres of heaven!
29 REPLIES 29

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you're even allowed to live in a camper there. You'd be amazed at the zoning rules if someone turns you in.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wow, sweet looking place. Nothin better than back i the woods!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

20acreheaven
Explorer
Explorer

Testing my photo posting....

Holy smokes that's huge!! sorry folks, if anyone can help me properly size my photo......

At any rate, this is where I'll be parking my trailer. Decided to use the dump tote and stick with the stock toilet. Got a propane guy coming out tomorrow (7/26) to see about getting a 120 gallon house tank brought out and hooked up to the trailer and dual feed genny. Then I'd just relocate it for the house when that time comes. For water I'm looking at a 65 gallon tank I can put in the back of the truck.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Both sides to the story above.
If in W WA, I'd make sure it's hid if you make your own septic, depending where you are. Too many leaf lickers and regulation on this side of the mtns.
Otherwise, no, it isn't going to hurt the environment to have 2 more animals cr@pping in the woods. Anyone who thinks it will, needs to either get out more or rethink their position on the subject.

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
I agree as I said not up to any code. But Whatโ€™s the difference in a makeshift septic, and a permanent one? If your not able to spend the money or would need it in a different spot than where he plans on building later. Both would work the same way one is just temporary.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
FF286 wrote:
For septic you can bury a 55 gallon plastic drum in the ground. Either drill holes near the top or run a fill line from it. May not be up to any code but it will work and since itโ€™s on your property who cares. You probably know this but just in case, be sure not to leave the tank valves open all the time.

This would certainly not be up to code in (most) places. In many areas, the state environmental protection agency would care very, very much, and show how much they care by imposing very substantial fines and penalties.

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
For septic you can bury a 55 gallon plastic drum in the ground. Either drill holes near the top or run a fill line from it. May not be up to any code but it will work and since itโ€™s on your property who cares. You probably know this but just in case, be sure not to leave the tank valves open all the time.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
20acreheaven wrote:
This is my first post, go easy....

The wife and I decided to ditch the rental and get a TT to live on our property while going through the building process. We currently have no utilities and expect to be a year to 18 months without any hookups. I'm opening myself up to a broad array of topics here, but looking for any advice I can get. A few things specifically:

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
1. As much as I wanted a metal shelter, it just isn't feasible for a temporary location, so we're planning to leave it out in the open with a metal carport serving as a patio. Are there extra maintenance steps I should take since the popout will be extended the entire time?

2. Pest control - found a product called Mouse Free online and being in a wooded area I'm seriously considering applying it. Figure I'll thoroughly inspect the underside and plug any holes with steel wool and try to illuminate the outside somehow. Anyone ever have a problem with yellowjackets though?

3. Thinking of pulling the toilet and placing a composting toilet in the bathroom. If anyone's ever done that I'd love to hear how it went. I really don't want to drag it into town every few weeks to dump the black tank and if I used a portable tank I'd have to get it up in the truck to use the nearest neighbor's septic.

4. For power I'm planning on a Champion dual fuel 3800 W generator and a small solar kit for the batteries (TT has a furrion outlet pre-wired) Noise isn't an issue and I figure the tv is the only thing I need to worry about "dirty" power with, hoping a UPS will prevent any damage the few times we watch tv.

Any tips and advice or things I haven't thought of are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Been there done that
Bought 3 acress,,drilled a well,the old fashioned way,long hard proces
That includes pounding 3" galvanized pipe into the ground,,using huge heavy metal donut like shape driver,then using smaller holow pipe with chisel at the end and pumping water in you simply lift ram it down and turn until it drills thru the hard rock..

Borowed electric pump and power line from my neighbor who drilled his well this way also,long time back..

Was lucky to hit water 24 feet down..
Lived in a nearby farm house while cutting trees down and building my log structure,,actualy stackwall that can use any shape size logs about foot long set into cement,
leaving vertical space in the midle of the wall for insulation and electrical wire..
So the finished wall has concrete and logs facing inside and outside,
Lay stucco on the outside and inside too..later on to protect the logs from weather..
Had power conected when finished,,was using mostly woodstove for heat in winter as there was lots of trees around..
Built outhouse 100 feet away from the well,,
Did septic later,,had the permit for it before starting though,,

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Looks like the first order of business is to get a perc test, and decide on a house location. That will have to be done before you site the driveway. Get the driveway in next. After that, you should be able to get a temporary meter pretty quickly. That will reduce your generator/propane needs.

Find a shady spot. That will help.

Shady might not be such good idea IF he wanted to place solar panels on the roof at a later date..

20acreheaven
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
If you're on the wet side of the mountains which it sounds like, go live in a RV. Sounds like fun actually! Especially with a new camper.
Heck it don't even get cold enough to freeze pipes but maybe a couple times a year.
Let's see some pics when you getter setup!

Figure out how to haul water easily, couple propane bottles, power drop would be nice though.

If I can figure out how to upload pictures I'll post some.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you're on the wet side of the mountains which it sounds like, go live in a RV. Sounds like fun actually! Especially with a new camper.
Heck it don't even get cold enough to freeze pipes but maybe a couple times a year.
Let's see some pics when you getter setup!

Figure out how to haul water easily, couple propane bottles, power drop would be nice though.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know where you are, but winters can get might cold in an rv. Have plenty of $ for propane ( have a big tank brought out or you'll be running every couple of days to refill) Research ways to keep an rv warm if you will be in an area where it gets below freezing.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You can go a fair amount of time on a larger black tank. Couple mile haul every few weeks to dump black sounds easy.
Or if it were me, on 20 ac in the middle of the woods, Iโ€™d make a small buried โ€œseptic โ€œ out behind the camper to dump the black tank. Who cares? Thatโ€™s what outhouses and septic systems doo. Some city slickers on here that donโ€™t understand that food isnโ€™t born in a grocery store and poo goes back in the ground will freak out though.
Gray can get dispersed into the woods.
Hauling water in is a pain, Iโ€™d think about that and have a decent tank in your pickup that you can bring in larger quantities. No reason tap water or well water from up the road canโ€™t be drinking water.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I would try to get that well done, and then ask the local govt if you can set a septic tank, even without a drainfield. You could use it as a holding tank between honey dipper visits if the ground freeze wont cause too many problems.
If all else fails, get a macerator and fill tanks on a truck or trailer and dump at that friends station.
Dont know how large a trailer you are looking at, but some modest sized ones do have decent tank sizes, some 29' Rockwood and Flagstaff models for example have 45 gal black and 90 gallon grey, At least they would buy you a little time between shuttle runs.