cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lug nut socket

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
So likely a basic/noob question, but I want to carry the correct sized socket for my lug nuts on my trailer and tow vehicle tires...will shallow sockets work or do I need deep sockets?

Thank you.
20 REPLIES 20

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Try it . I had the correct size but the wall thickness of socket would not fit in the well .

yep, i ended up with a 13/16 thin wall spark plug socket in 1/2 drive i happened to have in my tool box. regular socket only went down half way and hit the wheel (aluminum). its a 1/2x14 thread. may change the lugnuts to 3/4 hex to gain room.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer deep sockets from an Impact Wrench. Individual sizes are available at Northern.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
You will always have the right socket !

Sunex 2724 1/2 Inch Socket 4 Piece, 6 sizes - Amazon $19

yep flip sockets are the way to go if that's all your going to carry. I have a Craftsman set with 1/2 3/8 & 1/4, combination wrenches, allens, screw drivers etc. If you travel much you want some basic tools to do repairs on the road or be ready to pay $130 and hour or so.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a F-350 with dual rear aluminum wheels be sure you can remove the pesky plastic center cap. I made a special tool for it in my shop as the only time I had a flat I couldn't get it off and the road service had to break it to pieces to get to the lug nuts.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Raife wrote:
So likely a basic/noob question, but I want to carry the correct sized socket for my lug nuts on my trailer and tow vehicle tires...will shallow sockets work or do I need deep sockets?

Thank you.

Let me think.....
If you tell me what I have in my fridge for dinner, I can tell you what kind of socket you need.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
I do have a functional torque wrench and will use that too, but if on the road, I just get the tire changed and on my way. I'll deal with the torque later.

That was my thought as well...get me back up and running and then hit the first tire shop to torque it correctly.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry a 21mm deep socket for the truck. The trailer a 3/4" or a 19mm works, but is just a tad loose..

I have a broken torque wrench that is use (1/2" drive) and a cheater bar if needed.

I just leave them in the back of the truck. I also have one of the old X lug wrench with various sizes to help someone else if needed..

I like to go to thrift stores, so I try to check out the old tool sections and see if I can find any cheap sockets or wrenches that I can keep in different places.

I do have a functional torque wrench and will use that too, but if on the road, I just get the tire changed and on my way. I'll deal with the torque later.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Interesting that is the same torque as the wheels our Ram 3500 DRW. I have on board air and carry an impact wrench.
My old F150 is 150 torque but I only have 5 lugs ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good to think you have all you need to change a tire on the road. Now change one fully to make sure.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
Both my TT and my F150 require thin wall deep well sockets. Harbour Freight had them in 1/2" drive. I also bought a 30 inch breaker bar. The darned truck requires 150 lb/ft of torque and removing the lugs after they have been on a while takes some serious pull.

My 2016 Edge specifies 162 lb-ft. My torque wrench only goes up to 150 lb-ft !

The HF Pittsburgh 1/2" drive, 25" breaker bar is well worth the $20 !

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarabooBob wrote:
Both my TT and my F150 require thin wall deep well sockets. Harbour Freight had them in 1/2" drive. I also bought a 30 inch breaker bar. The darned truck requires 150 lb/ft of torque and removing the lugs after they have been on a while takes some serious pull.
My TT required 100 lb/ft on the lugs.
Both units have aluminum wheels.

Interesting that is the same torque as the wheels our Ram 3500 DRW. I have on board air and carry an impact wrench.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I bought some thin wall, deep 6-point sockets. The set will cover my trailer, my tow vehicle, and all the bolts on my equalizer WDH. I already have a 2' breaker bar, but also have an 18v impact wrench to help.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My TT required 100 lb/ft on the lugs.
Both units have aluminum wheels.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a thin wall, deep well socket to fit my lug nuts and a 2' breaker bar. They ride behind the rear seat in my truck. That is in addition to a cross-arm lug wrench and whatever Ford put there.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB