cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Memorial Day dissapointment

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed a nearly packed (approx 155 RV sites) Jellystone Park in Luray VA this weekend (Memorial Day weekend). However, while walking our dogs over the weekend we only came across 2 US and 1 Service flag displayed (and I had the service flag).
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ
24 REPLIES 24

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
To take this to the extreme, Why were you camping on Memorial Day? Memorial day was designed to be a day of solemn contemplation for those who died in service to our nation. While you were decrying the lack of symbolism how much time did you spend at a veterans grave,what did you do to honor the lives of those men and women. It is about honoring our war dead, not for veterans, not for picnics, not for mattress sales.
You know what though, this is America,those millions that lie in the ground gave all so you would have the right to act as you please,they also gave all so I could act as I please.

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
I camped that weekend and chose not to fly a flag. Mostly, because when I looked for one in the few stores around the campground, I could not find one made in America.

I am the daughter, wife, and mother of veterans. Flying or not flying a flag does not make me appreciate them any less.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
G7ARYM wrote:
The presence or absence of a colored piece of cloth has no bearing on how patriotic a person is or how they pay tribute to people who served. I led an infantry company for a year in combat 1967-68 and prefer not to advertize that fact. I will never forget the men I did not bring back alive.

Totally agree and thank you for your service..........and all others who served!
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Memorial Day was originally established as May 30th because it didn't coinside with any battle during the Civil War. It took Congress to make it a 3 day weekend.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
People need to watch their words about others based solely on whether they fly a flag or not.

Count me in this group. OP, you brought it on yourself by inferring that those of us who don't fly flags indicates a lack of patriotism. Just like marriage isn't a ring on a finger, believing in this country and respecting those that protect it shouldn't equate to flying a piece of cloth on a stick (no disrespect intended towards our flag). We used to camp every Memorial Day weekend. My flag is always flying at home. It just never occurred to me to bring one in the RV or when we tented.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Memorial Day disappointment

I just don't see the patriotism that once use to be so prevalent. Shame.

๐Ÿ˜ž

I do not display a flag on my MH when in CG's.

I lost 2 members of my family in the war and 2 MIA.

Not displaying a flag on my MH on Memorial day does NOT makes me a bad person or unpatriotic.:R

I don't think of my family members JUST on Memorial Day.....I think of them every waking hour of my days.

People need to watch their words about others based solely on whether they fly a flag or not.

Excellent post.

Some people assume that just because there isn't a flag out in front of your property that they don't care or forget.

Not true.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Southwind98
Explorer
Explorer
We always try to set ours out when camping, added two solar lights for the night.

Will & Michelle
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1990 Jeep Wrangler

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Our CG had plenty of flags flying this weekend. Mine being one of them.

LLeopold
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned up a couple of posts and as long as there is no direct flaming, I'll let the thread stand. So far, so good. Remember, your constitutional rights (i.e. Freedom of Speech) only applies in limiting the government's interference. This is a private site with its own rules which may be found here.
Lou Leopold
Between RVs at this point
but I continue to tent camp!

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Whoa. I (OP) just commenting on the lack of flags in comparison to what I normally see while camping.

Must be something in the water. There appears to be several threads lately that got hijacked from the OP. Shame.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

l001952119
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Memorial Day disappointment

I just don't see the patriotism that once use to be so prevalent. Shame.

๐Ÿ˜ž

I do not display a flag on my MH when in CG's.

I lost 2 members of my family in the war and 2 MIA.

Not displaying a flag on my MH on Memorial day does NOT makes me a bad person or unpatriotic.:R

I don't think of my family members JUST on Memorial Day.....I think of them every waking hour of my days.

It's called freedom of speach! He voiced his opinion, which I agree with and you have voiced yours! Opinions are valued and arguments solve nothing!

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
The presence or absence of a colored piece of cloth has no bearing on how patriotic a person is or how they pay tribute to people who served. I led an infantry company for a year in combat 1967-68 and prefer not to advertize that fact. I will never forget the men I did not bring back alive.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
While not a requirement for Memorial Day it is a nice gesture!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
X2

You know nothing of my military service, or sacrifices I made for this country. Shame on anyone for questioning my patriotism based on a broad-brush generalization.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS