cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picked up TT - question about extended warranty

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Basically - should I get the extended warranty?

TT cost about $32,000 new (Outdoors RV). Warranty is 7 years (so 6 additional) with $100 deductible good at any RV shop in North America. Also full roadside assistance which could be helpful if they honor it (Hello, I'm calling from a sat phone in Death Valley. My awning motor broke, please come fix it!) $2750. Worth it?

It is cancellable and has a pro-ratable refund at any time so I have a few days to make a decision. I put it on a credit card for now.

The PDI went well. I didn't find anything not working. TT seems solidly built. Dealer seemed to do a good job. However when I get home I found a little water at the foot of the slide when the slide was out. I'm not sure the source but we had a torrential (2-3 inch) downpour two days before I picked up. So I need to take a good look at that to see what's going on. In general though these TTs have a good reputation so I'm not expecting it to fall apart when I drive down the road.

Is this a warranty you would buy/keep, or not?
15 REPLIES 15

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad "Almost 70yro" swears by the extended warranty as he has used it quite a few times with awning, wiring, water issues and other small issues. He is a fixer up type guy hisself and can pretty much fix anything. That's all I know and have no real experience yet.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
already canceled and already have email confirmation of that. Thanks guys!

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search a lot on this issue

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Document that phone call...time and name of person plus summary of conversation

Or, depending on your state laws, record the phone call.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
bailer6334 wrote:
Also keep in mind it is NOT a "Warranty" like on a vehicle from the OEM. Its a "Service Agreement" by a 3rd party, not the OEM. If you decide to buy it get a copy of the service agreement before you buy it and read what the exclusions and maintenance requirements are. In addition, the service agreement in the first year is covered by the manufacturer, so you have paid for year 1 without benefit of its coverage (money to the provider without any expenses).

OP already bought it ...put on CC

OP.......CANCEL IT ASAP
Do it over phone with follow up via e-mail.then registered letter.

Document that you have canceled it

Contact the CC and inform them that it has been canceled and you are disputing any charges as they are no longer authorized.

Document that phone call...time and name of person plus summary of conversation
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
Also keep in mind it is NOT a "Warranty" like on a vehicle from the OEM. Its a "Service Agreement" by a 3rd party, not the OEM. If you decide to buy it get a copy of the service agreement before you buy it and read what the exclusions and maintenance requirements are. In addition, the service agreement in the first year is covered by the manufacturer, so you have paid for year 1 without benefit of its coverage (money to the provider without any expenses).
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
The only warranty thats worth anything is a factory warranty and on RV's even that is questionable. Forgetaboutit...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No way I would pay that for the warranty.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You got a brand new big bad diesel and a brand new camper. I wouldn't worry about too many issues with either for years.
Go campeing! $2750 is like 4 pre paid camping trips!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And you said quality camper. From those I know who buy new RVs pretty regularly they have some initial assembly issues or whatever which are under factory warranty and then are pretty sound.
They all need this n that but I've had a couple 10yr + and - old AF campers and in 4 or 5 years, other than batteries for both of them I've spent less than $100 in parts.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn’t have a drive train, so not even close to worth it. Save the money. You can repair most of the tt for what the extended warranty will cost you.

You can get inexpensive roadside elsewhere.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of things I'm sure they did not tell you:
1. You will probably have to have dealer do regular maintenance. For example, roof-caulking (you pay for) How much maintenance costs would you be able to do yourself instead of paying the dealer for?
2. That pro-rated refund; it is applied to the END of the loan so you only see it when/if you pay it off or sell it.

Most of us (me) learned about those after we got burned. I never bought the extended service after that first trailer.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
save the money use it for maint on the unit

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
I've pretty much never bought an ext warranty on anything. Rarely even a factory warranty.
Disclaimer, I can/do fix 90% of what goes wrong with anything I own.
But even if you're not mechanically inclined or willing, add up $2-3k on every major purchase and $2-300 on every smaller purchase and ask yourself if you've spent or will expect to spend ALL that money on out of warranty work that would have been covered.
My guess is no.

That said, if it covers everything it needs to, and you use the RV ALOT, it may pencil out.....maybe.

Btw, if warranty companies didn't make a profit on selling them, they wouldn't sell them, so the law of averages is in your favor to not buy one.

I agree with you and your logic is very sound.

I have never owned a trailer before and know they have reputations for being 'works in progress." Also I was smitten with the 'roadside service.' But I will probably cancel.