cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pressure Reducing Regulator Setting

TheOneRLP
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve purchase an adjustable Pressure Reducing Regulato for my 2012 Cruiser Fun Finder X-189FBS camp trailer.

I was told I needed one when using the City Water line so as to not be bursting my pipe fittings with too high of City Water pressure coming into my system.

Can someone please tell me what a safe pressure adjustment would be to set the regulator at to not have a bursting fitting problem?

Thanks very much in advance!!!
Rick Peterson
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another thing or 3
First In-line reaqulators come if a few different "Flavors"
The Cylinderical ones abourt 3/4 inch some have "Wings" some have a bright plastic grip on the female end.. The proper setting for those is "on the store shelf"

Some have a bell shaped upper housing... See thread above for proper settings.

Now the reason for this.. Due to hyper chlornation by the city at one RV park I took to filling the on-board tank. The excess bleach quickly was lost and the water became fit to drink.... No need for pressure regulator as once tank was full the spigot was OFF.. Worked double well when things got COLD out. My rig had heated tanks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
4x4van wrote:
Or do what I do; use the campground city water ONLY to fill your tank as needed, and use your onboard pump while camping. No chance of overpressure damage, and if an inside line/fitting breaks or starts leaking, you'll know it instantly because your pump will start running.

This is what we do.

Many years ago on our boat (fresh water system is essentially the same), we woke up in the night to a hissing noise. Almost rolled over and went back to sleep. Went looking and one of the fittings had cracked and was spewing water in the bilge. In an RV, it could result in thoroughly soaked plywood floors.

We have to dump the tanks every few days when on full hookup anyway, so no major effort to fill the fresh water while draining the waste tanks.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Or do what I do; use the campground city water ONLY to fill your tank as needed, and use your onboard pump while camping. No chance of overpressure damage, and if an inside line/fitting breaks or starts leaking, you'll know it instantly because your pump will start running.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just checked. They come set at 65 psi.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Airstreams come with built in regulators at the freshwater inlet. I believe they are set for 60lbs. As others have stated, pex is rated for much higher. I think 60 is plenty...
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We have ours set at 45

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I set mine to 50 (Rig labeled 40 or 45) never had a problem.
I'm told some valves may start leaking over 60... Never saw it but that's what I'm told.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Aside from the setting, I make it habit to turn the water supply off when leaving the RV for any period of time. Small thing to do and mitigates the risk of coming back to a flooded RV if anything does break. This goes for the water pump also if not on city water.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
55 PSI
2010 Suncruiser

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twenty years ago the recommendation by ShurFlo was 45 psi. Today, it is 55 psi.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Pex is good for 160PSI, and the crimp joints are as good as the person who installed them. I have used 60PSI on my rv's for the last 15 years with no problems. 80 PSI in my homes.

The last campground we were in, the line pressure was 120PSI............ Good idea to have and use a pressure reducing valve for sure.

I believe that the generic "owner's manual" for the rv's that I have owned mentions 60PSI as a max.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I run my watts regulator at 55 psi. Pex will handle much more but the cheap faucets have lower limits. More than 55 though.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
45 psi
I believe the off the shelf fixed setting regulators are set to 45 PSI so I would start there.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup