Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Request for Assistance/Insight from Someone Soon to Retire

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, all-

This nice person, new to the forum, has asked for your insights and information. The post was buried at the end of a very long thread, so in the interest of (hopefully) more people seeing it and replying, I am re-posting it here.

---start of post from Lynned:

Posted: 09/17/15 07:09pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Hello from upstate New York. I'll be retiring in November 2016 and decided I wanted to do some fulltime RVing for a couple of years before I settle down. My plan is to travel down the east coast, around the tip of Florida and then travel along the gulf of Mexico. BTW, I'll be doing this solo well actually my cat EC will be coming along too. So for the next year I'll be researching, researching, and more researching. So far I've decided to by used from a local dealer "camping world in Syracuse" I know a few people who have dealt with them and they gave very positive feedback. I won't be able to do the maintenance myself so I'm leery of purchasing from a private seller. I'm looking at something around 24 to 26 feet, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to handle anything larger. I'm stuck on if I should tow my car, I don't really want to. And what about mail? Also how would I handle my prescription med refills? I'm pretty sure I won't be returning to my home state, I'll actually be Stateless for a couple of years. Well this post is getting way too long so I'll finish off by saying I'd appreciate any advise you all care to share.

Lynned

---end of post from Lynned

Link to Lynned's originally-placed post
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!
7 REPLIES 7

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
How is the original poster going to find his answers by this re-post by you?

He needs to post over on the full-timing forum here or the Escapee forum.

I replied to the original buried post and made a link/clicky to this re-post.

Beginning RVing seemed a better fit.

(GeneM and his original post have developed quite a following. He might need to start selling t-shirts and signing autographs.)
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

This is a good question; I hope he/she was notified somehow.

I opted for a smaller (28") C so I would NOT have to take a toad with me and it's working out OK so far. It can go almost anyplace...once you get your mindset properly adjusted for the size vehicle you have.

I did get an electric bicycle and it has come in handy but limited in functionality.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer

He needs to post over on the full-timing forum here or the Escapee forum.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like they are thinking of a motorhome. I've met a number of singles (and couples) full-timing in small C motorhomes (24-foot and under) or type B van conversions (which can be 17 to 24 feet long and no wider than the maximum for a "standard" motor vehicle in the U.S.). The latter can be quite drivable, my daily driver and road trip vehicle is an 18 foot passenger van.

What is needed is to scale one's lifestyle down to the space available. I can do this myself for part-timing, but cannot for full-timing, as it means discarding the remnants of my life with my late wife, and all the stuff my children presume that I am keeping for them until they want to take it (probably not until I die).

As I'm not a full timer, I can't tell about dealing with the full-timing issues, except to say that they have to be dealt with. One cannot be "stateless" in the U.S., a domicile state is presumed, and if that is not to be left to chance, it must be formally established.

Escapees has a lot of the answers. They can provide a domicile and handle your mail.

Prescription medicines can be one of the tougher problems, particularly if the drugs are controlled substances, or require periodic monitoring for adverse side effects. But there is the larger problem of getting medical care, once you are separated from your physicians; we do not have a national health care network where one can walk in any place and the care givers know all about you.

This is another of the issues that keeps me at a home base from which I do my traveling, a mix of RVing, road tripping without RV, cruising and globe trotting that keeps me away as much as half of each year. I had to build a new relationship with care providers when the one I had for 20 years retired, and I am in no hurry to start over again or put myself into the hands of random strangers.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

path1
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI'm leery of purchasing from a private seller. I'm looking at something around 24 to 26 feet,โ€
I assume a class C?

โ€œI'm stuck on if I should tow my car, I don't really want to.โ€

Some cars canโ€™t to towed. One of the tow bar manufactures has a data base that you can look up if you can to and what equipment is needed. And be sure to price out getting the equipment in order to tow. Surprised me what it ran with an auxiliary brake to tow. Many in that size of class C donโ€™t tow a car and have no problems and are happy. http://roadmasterinc.com/vehicle_guide/tow_bar_brackets.php

โ€œAnd what about mail?โ€
Check out โ€œmail forwarding in the Escapees link.

"I'm pretty sure I won't be returning to my home state, I'll actually be Stateless for a couple of yearsโ€.
If was not going to return to my home state I would pick a state that is user friendly to me. Many do South Dakota or Texas or some state with lower taxes etc.

โ€œI won't be able to do the maintenance myselfโ€
You can do one the best maintenance items you can do for your RV, and also one of the most ignored items . And that is making sure maintenance gets done when itโ€™s supposed to be done.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, you'll find answers to a lot of your questions, as well as Kindred spirits, over on the Escapees Forum
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Escapees forum has tons of info on full timing. Forum is free.