cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rv camping in Canada, different than camping in the US?

Domromer
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is a really broad question...but I'll ask it anyways...How does rv camping in Canada differ from the US? We've camped all over the U.S. and expect most campgrounds in Florida to be pretty full in May and for the most part reservations are needed in the more popular campgrounds.

Canada has so much smaller of a population I'm wondering if we can head off and a long trip and not book everything in advance. Or is Canada full of Americans in the summer and are there a lot less campgrounds because the population is so much less....

Like I said I know this if a really broad question and like asking someone whats America like...but I really know nothing about Canada other than what I'm starting to read in guidebooks.

Dom
62 REPLIES 62

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

In the case of using all the cords, do you worry about voltage drop?

camp-n-family wrote:
I carry the factory 25' cord plus two 25' and a 50' and have used all. It's rare to use only the trailers 25'er.

Never thought about it but hasnt been a problem. I never use a lot of high draw items at once anyways. I only use AC at night for example, when nothing else is running except the fridge.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

In the case of using all the cords, do you worry about voltage drop?

camp-n-family wrote:
I carry the factory 25' cord plus two 25' and a 50' and have used all. It's rare to use only the trailers 25'er.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with Soundguy, at least for Ontario parks. I'm sure experiences will vary across the country. Around here, the use of gen sets is rare. I can't even remember the last time I saw or heard one in a provincial park.

I find sites here (Canada) are more spaced out and private than state parks. Many of the state parks we've been to in the northern US are wide open fields surrounded by trees. Sites are stacked tight with little to no privacy, much like a koa. In Ontario, a typical site is spaced with natural forest between sites and lots of privacy, hence the need for long extension cords. I carry the factory 25' cord plus two 25' and a 50' and have used all. It's rare to use only the trailers 25'er.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
@SoundGuy
Looks like you have a short memory--hope you remember your meds today! No need for the attitude.

My comment about powerchord length is true in spite of your derogatory assertion. I guess Ontario is different. Or perhaps it is just you.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ssthrd wrote:
After travelling for the last 5 months in both Canada and the US, I can say that I have never had to use more than my 50 feet of power chord.

Generally, campsites are the same no matter where you go in either Canada or the US.

Also rubbish. :R As in the US what you might run into in terms of length of cable runs, campsite size and privacy, etc, all vary from system to another so to categorically qualify these as all the same is pure nonsense. If you camp here in the Ontario provincial park system 100' runs to the campsite power post are not unusual at all ... I carry 140' and at minimum most often find myself running at least 75'. Camp in a conservation area or private park and you're most likely to find the power post at the rear of the campsite parking pad, in which case no extension is usually needed. As far as privacy is concerned, I've yet to come across a state park, COE, national park, etc, that has offered anywhere near the campsite size and privacy as we enjoy here in Ontario. Sure, sometimes you do have a neighbour you'd rather have a bit further away but more times than not we might just partially see another camper peeking through the trees.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
In one of the campgrounds around Lake Superior back in 2008, they lost their 30 amp power. I was startled when our generator kicked on when the batteries fell to that certain level. When I opened the door to step outside, I could hear other generators running. It was just part of the Canadian ambiance.

What a load of rubbish :R - running gensets are no more "part of the Canadian ambience" than it would be anywhere else. :S Of course, if you're camping on an electric site, with others around you also on electric sites, and the park loses power for whatever reason you might expect a few gensets to start up just as you would anywhere else. I live here, camp here as well as in many parts of the US, and could count on the fingers of one hand how often I might hear a genset running in any of our provincial or conservation area campgrounds.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
OP, to your question, the following are both great sites, although neither will show every campsite. Another option is to use Google Earth. Just zoom in to the area you want and type "camping" in the search box. As mentioned above, every province has a tourism website where you will find listings for campsites.

After travelling for the last 5 months in both Canada and the US, I can say that I have never had to use more than my 50 feet of power chord.

Generally, campsites are the same no matter where you go in either Canada or the US. However, in provincial campgrounds, power and sewer hookups are usually not provided. If you like to camp in natural settings with much more privacy, these will not disappoint. I hate camping in a sardine can between painted lines on a paved parking lot.

Time of year will dictate whether or not you will need a reservation. Best to check ahead if you can.

Hope this helps.

http://www.camping-canada.com/index.asp
http://www.allstays.com
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We toured Canada by RV in the summer of 2008 driving around Lake Superior.

We had our passports, etc. What we didn't know, is that there is a limit on alcohol allowed into Canada from the USA. When asked how much we had on board at the border station, I said I didn't know. We were asked to pull up for inspection.

A couple of years earlier, we had toured the Napa/Sonoma area buying different wines. Some of those wines were transferred into the new coach and had been there for months and months. I actually forgot how much was in the coach.

Well, the agents went cupboard to cupboard looking. The agents could have torn the coach apart if they wanted to. Maybe they realized that we were just tourists with no hidden agenda.

There are two choices, either they take the 'overage' of alcohol or you pay a tax/fine and it's THEIR choice on which route is taken. We were given the tax/fine route of $183.00. I was pleased as the wine they would have taken would have cost way more than that to replace.

The agent told us that we were now 'flagged' in the computer. We certainly enjoyed our stay in Canada. I didn't have to buy fuel there as our Dynasty had a 150 gallon fuel tank and fuel at that time was $5.25 a gallon. Just as soon as we entered Michigan, I filled up at $4.99 a gallon (saved a few bucks).

In 2013, we decided to tour Niagara Falls from the Canadian side and then take a train tour across Canada to Vancouver. Canada is a beautiful country. We entered by aircraft not taking the coach.

Going through Customs twice (entering and exiting), it was never mentioned that we were 'flagged' in their computer. Easy-peasy.

In one of the campgrounds around Lake Superior back in 2008, they lost their 30 amp power. I was startled when our generator kicked on when the batteries fell to that certain level. When I opened the door to step outside, I could hear other generators running. It was just part of the Canadian ambiance.

It was my fault for not checking the requirements for entering Canada. Now I know and will check again if decide to take the coach for another tour.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
junmy3 wrote:
Today we make reservations for Riding Mountain. We will again be online at 8:00 AM CT.

Here in AZ state park campgrounds fill up months in advance as well. Talked to some full timers on our last trip. They are allowed to book 14 days at a time and must move their rig each time. Every week the booking period is extended by 1 more week. At midnight they go online and reserve another week and keep doing this all season long. Most of the full timers do this keeping the campground full and thus difficult to get a spot for others.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
We made reservations for mid August for Prince Albert National park at 8:00 AM CT on 13 January 2017. That was when reservations for Saskatchewan parks opened up.
Checked back yesterday and there were three sites available for that time period. You do have to make reservations way in advance.

Today we make reservations for Riding Mountain. We will again be online at 8:00 AM CT.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
mileshuff wrote:
First off guns can be brought into Canada if you declare them first, say for hunting etc.

That's not quite true, SOME guns MAY be brought into Canada under strict conditions.

Basically hunting rifles and shotguns, and ONLY for hunting, not self-defence, and only if you're traveling to a hunting area during hunting season.

Pistols and such can only be imported for the purpose of competing in a shooting competition to which you were invited and have pre-registered.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Degraded? :h Some Americans visiting Canada who accept "carrying" as a normal fact of life, including while they camp, may be surprised to learn such is not the case here in Canada, even more surprised if they attempt to bring their gun(s) into Canada when they come here to camp.

First off guns can be brought into Canada if you declare them first, say for hunting etc. You make it seem as if its a HUGE major issue as if the majority of Americans gotta have guns while they RV. It's even more restrictive traveling to Mexico where you cannot have even so much as a round let alone a gun. Yet, American RV'ers travel to MX frequently. Beach areas are filled with American RV'ers. There maybe a handful of people as you say but in all mine, friends and family as well as others in the parks RV'ing in CA, USA and MX, it's a non-issue and among the least ever mentioned!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Of course there's a difference ... in the US half your campground neighbours could legally be carrying arms, not so here in Canada.

mileshuff wrote:
Not sure how this discussion degraded to a debate on guns! In any event, its a non-issue for me either way.

Degraded? :h Some Americans visiting Canada who accept "carrying" as a normal fact of life, including while they camp, may be surprised to learn such is not the case here in Canada, even more surprised if they attempt to bring their gun(s) into Canada when they come here to camp. :E The OP asked "rv camping in Canada, different than camping in the US?" ... yep, you bet, on this account we are different, no "debate" needed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Of course there's a difference ... in the US half your campground neighbours could legally be carrying arms, not so here in Canada.

Not sure how this discussion degraded to a debate on guns! In any event, its a non-issue for me either way.