cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV vs Park Model

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Beside the exterior looks, is there really much of a difference between a regular RV and a park model?
10 REPLIES 10

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
There is park model then a park trailer (which they now call a destination trailer). Park models are usually 10ft wide and need a permit to tow and have no holding tanks. A park trailer can look like a park model but has very small holding tanks and usually minuscule CCC as well as the dimensions of a TT. As well as being very heavy. I have seen a handful of park trailers used as TTโ€™s. They usually have a bit more CCC and decent holding tanks.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
OP here.

Thank you for the responses. I now understand the differences. Thank you to those that pointed out further their differences between a mobile home.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used to know a man who lived in a FEMA park model. Alas he has since moved up.

As others have said No tanks designed to be hooked to city water and sewer. Often have a residential toilet (not a Sea-land type)

I suspect (But have no evidence) they are not build to bounce down the road as much as a regular RV. they are designed to be parked and left there. LIke a "Mobile home" type trailer.. But as I said that is suspicion. I have no proof.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Our park model was 12โ€™ x 45โ€™, pitched shingle roof, flush toilet, external packaged heat pump, used 2 50 amp hookups.
-- Chris Bryant

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
Beside the exterior looks, is there really much of a difference between a regular RV and a park model?

as has been said, a LOT of differences.
i agree that it's basically a smaller mobile home.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Park models usually do not have any thing that runs on 12 volts all 120 volts ac so no batteries either.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Park model is more like a small mobile home. Regular house type toilets many floor plans some one bedroom some two or three. I have one with one bedroom 2 upstairs lofts that work for guest to sleep. I have one and a half baths too. My air conditioner and furnace are also residential type. I have a regular central air unit outside just like most have on their house.

Lofts in the United States are limited to 400 square feet I think lofts in Canada can go to 500 square feet.

Park models are not designed to be towed around like travel trailers they are on wheels and towed to their destination but are not moved often after. My park model has been in the same spot for 14 years.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the size in length some units have a stair to a limited height area that can be used as a storage area or extra bedroom, some units that I have seen in Texas have two bedrooms on the same floor, as stated before the sewer and water and electric are straight to city hookups and the propane is on a good size tank or two that is serviced by a propane delivery truck.

This units are placed in the same manner as the mobile homes and are more permanent, the units that I have seen delivered to parks are trucked in and on most parks the tires have to be attached at all times, other wise it is no longer a park model but it will be considered a mobile home and different zoning codes and taxes assessed.

Never owned one but a good friend has one, long model and beautifull unit to live out retirement, they still own the RV to travel in.

navegator

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Typically, park models don't have storage tanks like fresh water, grey water, and black water. They generally are hooked up to sewer systems, and don't require them. They can be moved, but are not made for everyday travel.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I've never owned a park model, but our snowbird location in FL has recently put some park models in the past 2 years and I checked one out. Had a friend that sold his 5th wheel during last winter and then moved into a park model for about 6 weeks.

Park models are usually more stable than a camper. Not that a trailer or 5th wheel is wobbly, but they sometimes can be depending upon the setup underneath.

I think there's more storage in my 5th wheel than most park models I've seen. The park model floorplan is designed for living in rather than traveling with the sort of "stuff" you need to travel/camp with. There may be some storage in park models, but I think it's somewhat limited.

Sometimes kitchen workspace (counters) is limited in an RV compared to a park model.

That's about all I can add with my limited knowledge of park models.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator