cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snake Repellent Testing - Advice

Rkachi
Explorer
Explorer
Short-story: I will be involved in testing a new brand of snake "repellent" (both liquid and granular) in the next few days. Does anyone have information or previous, similar experimentation that could help in my creating a series of worthwhile tests? How about just some suggestions, general advice, or scenarios?

Also, you should know that I am not being paid by the company for positive results. Either way will be valuable to me, if nothing else just to say it was done.

Thanks.
42 REPLIES 42

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
When walking in the woods beware of sunny spots shining in thru the trees, they like to sun themselves in such areas. Be a little noisy, they really want to avoid you as much as you want to avoid them. Keep focused on where you are going and doing.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

MikeDaniels3
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
I, for one, find this topic interesting. Snakes aren't a problem here as a general rule and I had a lovely conversation with a pretty black and yellow garter snake when I was out watering plants in the fall. Just for spits and giggles I did a search on snake repellent and apparently some do have some level of success: ***Link Removed***

and this: https://www.fieldecology.com/blog/snakes-away Note this includes NOT shooting them.

or this: https://stoppestinfo.com/163-how-to-repel-snakes-best-natural-and-chemical-snake-repellents.html article is long but there is info at the end.

Not sure if this will help you or not but it might at least help in developing hypotheses or test conditions. I would also suggest you ignore the snarkiness you will see on here. Some people just can't help themselves.

Some of those snake repellents really don't work that well. I'd make sure that you are checking the reviews about each product before using it.

I absolutely hate snakes, so I'd pay top dollar for the best repellent.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OleManOleCan wrote:
Problem with Snake repellents is some snakes need no provocation to strike. Copperheads have a nasty disposition, and they seem not to care what they strike.

The real problem with snake repellents is procuring the snake oil with with to produce it!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
opnspaces wrote:
Is sending the mother in law out to scare the snake away cruel and unusual punishment.....for the snake?

If she like my MIL, snakes, dogs, people who can hear high pitched noise all scatter by merely hearing her....

My poor FIL, he keeps turning his hearing aid down and she keeps yelling louder. "Caaaarrrrl, come here. Now!" His name is Carl...

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Is sending the mother in law out to scare the snake away cruel and unusual punishment.....for the snake?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Problem with Snake repellents is some snakes need no provocation to strike. Copperheads have a nasty disposition, and they seem not to care what they strike.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Lol

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
T18skyguy wrote:
If my wife ever saw a snake in our RV it would have to be sold immediately.

Not much market for selling snakes especially on short notice, but more power to ya.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
If my wife ever saw a snake in our RV it would have to be sold immediately.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
NH is just trolling. Best to snicker at her and then ignore.

Nope, not trolling in the least. No reason to blast a snake unless it's posing a threat. See way too much "I'm just gonna shoot" mentality and as a law-abiding gun owner it gets pretty offensive but explains why so many are against gun ownership.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
NH is just trolling. Best to snicker at her and then ignore.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Love all you macho guys just thinking it's so cool to blast away and kill it. Unless they are a direct threat leave them be. Or are you a bunch a fraidy cats hiding behind your guns?

I don't want my kids and pets to be any where near copperheads. nothing MACHO about it.

bumpy

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Love all you macho guys just thinking it's so cool to blast away and kill it. Unless they are a direct threat leave them be. Or are you a bunch a fraidy cats hiding behind your guns?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]