Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

surge protector and water filters

GusCalifornia
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,
We are picking up our new 2021 c class motorhome in a few days. I heard I should get a 30 amp surge protector and a water filter. Well, I just went on amazon and the price difference between the surge protectors are pretty big. Anyone have a brand they like. I rather not spend a ton if I don't have to but if it will keep me from needing to buy a new one after a few uses then willing to spend the money on more expensive one if needed.

For the water filters, do we just need one that removes sediment? We have only done tent camping in the past and just carried in our water so not too sure about the water at the RV parks - never been to one. Do I need to filter sediment and then get a charcoal filter or brita filter for the sink too?

thanks!
31 REPLIES 31

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

As to surge, if the RV has a 50 amp service they are important. They are less critical for a 30 amp service--but you MUST check voltage under load before plugging in. If you are NOT prepared to do so, then get protection.

why would electronics be safer on 30a than 50a

If a 30 amp circuit loses the NEUTRAL wire between your pedestal and the main breaker box, you have no power. If a 50 amp circuit loses the NEUTRAL wire between your pedestal and the main breaker box, you have 240v flowing through every circuit on your RV. Theoretically possible.

Note that this is not of concern to me, but it is the answer to your question.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
philh wrote:
Blue water filters are as useless as a colander.

I went with a clear household 5u filter and only run off internal tank, even with full hookup. I'm amazed at how much junk the filter traps.

Do you put it before the pump or on the output side?

water is filtered as it goes into the holding tank

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

As to surge, if the RV has a 50 amp service they are important. They are less critical for a 30 amp service--but you MUST check voltage under load before plugging in. If you are NOT prepared to do so, then get protection.

why would electronics be safer on 30a than 50a

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I've been RVing for 30+ years; 1/2 boondocking and 1/2 in FHU campgrounds. Never use a water filter, but I normally fill from home from a good known municipal source. Occasionally, I will use campground water if I run out, but not often. And yes, we use our onboard tank for drinking, cooking, and bathing.

As for surge protection; I have the Progressive EMS unit bookmarked on Amazon, but again, I've never had/used one. I check voltage before plugging in, and I have a digital monitor inside that I can keep an eye on as well. Yes, I know that one "problem" and the Progressive unit would pay for itself, but I have yet to have any issues; knock on wood;)
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

it filters the water before going into the onboard tank.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Camco water filters have worked great for us across parks in 43 states so far. Very occasionally there will be a sulferous taste that survives the filtration so we break out the Britta pitcher which has worked 100%. Total investment across 5 years and hundreds of nights, $75 or so.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I had what was supposed to be the top of the line Progressive ems. It shut down several times when it detected low voltage, like it was supposed to do. On the one power surge that Iโ€™m aware of, I didnโ€™t know there was a problem until I smelled melting wire insulation. My next one will be a Hughes.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
philh wrote:

I went with a clear household 5u filter and only run off internal tank, even with full hookup. I'm amazed at how much junk the filter traps.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

CampingCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 30 Amp surge protector by Progressive Industries. It was a pricier model because it was recommended to us by our dealer. WE figure with the amount of money we spent on the camper, we may as well protect our investment with a better quality surge protector. Hughes Watchdog seems to be a very popular choice as well. Good luck.

As for the water filter, we get the Camco TastePure water filter with flexible hose on Amazon. Last time I bought them, I got a 2 pack for $25.00.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to go along with many others and recommend the Progressive EMS,I know that it has served me well but I went with the Hard Wired one less thing to hook up and store later.

As for the company they get very high praise from me,I had a failure of the remote desplay unit and after talking to a real live person and going thru all the test procedures he said it was toast. They sent me a new one OVERNITE FEDEX I received it the next day.

As for the water filter I had problems with the Blue Camco ones,poor MFG as they always leaked,I went with Aqua Quest about same price but for me it was of a better quality.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our first RV, it had a clog in an elbow of an inside pipe right after we bought it.
After that, I never allowed water into the rig without at least a sediment filter.
When we got out of RVing, i was to the point that I had a complete home made system built into a milk crate that filtered everything, included a pressure regulator and could have been set outside or plumbed into the storage bay when cold or very hot out. It eventually morphed into a manifold system in our 5ver bay....

As for surge protection, I don't recall using one, but do intend to on the future.
I used standard household filters.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We have a water filter built in to our trailer. Every year when I winterize I remove the element so it can dry. After 13 years and hundreds of nights it appears the filter has not removed anything!

We have the Progressive Dynamics EMS unit and it has activated a number of times. I'm assuming it might have paid for itself.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Water filtering is a personal choice. We do on the theory that it can't hurt. but only once or twice in 12 years have we run into really bad water. Death Valley, anyone? We carry 5 or 6 gallon jugs of good, city, water to use for cooking and drinking if necessary and refill them whenever we are at a big-city source. Anything that meets EPA public water source guidelines is as good as you will get through a filter short of RO. A pressure regulator is required. Watts makes good ones that are adjustable.

I feel that an EMS from Progressive is a necessary investment. Mine has kicked out due to low voltage several times (particularly in Canada) and once when the guy next to me backed over my pedestal and ripped the ground side loose.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"