cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Trucks

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
No doubt I'll get lots of disagreement on this. Just wondering how many young people on a budget are buying those nice trucks at $40000 and up; way up for a 1 ton diesel. And financing them for as many years as a home. Economically a bad choice. For starters the purchase price is up there with amazing luxury and sport vehicles and 2 to 3 times many really nice vehicles.. Brutal depreciation follows. Secondly, about half as far on each gallon as a compact car or even a small SUV. So the overall cost of ownership must be huge. Yes, sometimes we need a truck, such as for a 5th wheel or heavy trailer. I've done that but then my (used) truck was my only vehicle. I guess I don't have a point here except I worry for those that don't really know what's it's costing them. Also, lighter, vehicles with small lightweight engines are way greener if you care about that sort of thing. OK. I'm not perfect with my 30 ft. V-10 MH towing a Ford Focus.
Jayco-noslide
72 REPLIES 72

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get why people pay so much money for poorly built RV's (and that goes for every one built) that depreciate so quickly.

But guess what, a lot of us do. Could we live without them? Sure could!

How is it any of your business what other people do with their money?

I bought one of those terrible trucks and it just sits in our garage and collects dust and depreciates until we're ready to hook it to our trailer and go camping.
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

How do you know how much he paid for the new truck?

I never experienced a dealer taking a trade-in that didn't use the MSRP, then deduct the value of the trade-in. YMMV. Common sense says that was the deal in this case.

I pay cash a little over dealer invoice. I never trade in a vehicle because they only pay wholesale.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
It's not complicated. You negotiate the price your willing to pay for the truck, then you negotiate the price you want for the trade in. When your satisfied with both then you add sales tax, plates, and whatever and now you have the grand total. Now that you have the grand total, you can talk about financing, interest rates, term, and down payment as applicable.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

I never experienced a dealer taking a trade-in that didn't use the MSRP, then deduct the value of the trade-in. YMMV. Common sense says that was the deal in this case.

Maybe you should get the best dealer price, THEN tell the dealer you have a trade-in. You just have to be able to keep your mouth shut as the salesman tries to weasel info out of you.
That and laughing at the salesman every time he says MSRP is a way to break out of your dilemma. They need you; you don't need them. Plenty of other dealers to play against each other and they will happily cut each other's throats given half a chance.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I love my two old trucks and I love to wrench 'em and run 'em forever. It a good thing to have a sense of pride in learning all you can to properly take care of them and bullet proof them for reliability. Just last month I saved 1700 by learning and doing some timely service work myself. To use your mind and acquire ways to do difficult things is a big part of it

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Modern trucks are anything but terrible. They can do everything. They last. I love trucks.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
6.7 tow rig wrote:
I definitely don't agree with the brutal depreciation. I bought a 2012 Ram 2500 Tradesman brand new in 2012 for 39,000. Bought that model because it was in my budget. Paid it off in 48 months. I got the itch for a new truck in April of 2018, 6 years later and traded it in for 33,000 and bought a 2500 Laramie. 6 years use 50k miles and only lost 6k. Thousand a year depreciation isn't bad. Diesels hold their value.

Of course you could have gotten perhaps $10,000 off in a straight sale, so you actually lost $16,000. Still not a bad deal, and probably better trade in than a gas truck.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Our kid has a good job and bought a Benz. When she told us the price of it I said - Geez, On RV Net most folks have a pick up truck that cost more than that. 🙂

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
I definitely don't agree with the brutal depreciation. I bought a 2012 Ram 2500 Tradesman brand new in 2012 for 39,000. Bought that model because it was in my budget. Paid it off in 48 months. I got the itch for a new truck in April of 2018, 6 years later and traded it in for 33,000 and bought a 2500 Laramie. 6 years use 50k miles and only lost 6k. Thousand a year depreciation isn't bad. Diesels hold their value.

Of course you could have gotten perhaps $10,000 off in a straight sale, so you actually lost $16,000. Still not a bad deal, and probably better trade in than a gas truck.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
We can all agree that new trucks are expensive. So are used ones. American manufacturers are phasing out most cars.

Jayco you are making a lot of assumptions. I bought a new one ton Ford diesel in 2002 for $35k. Today it is worth $20k where I live. I have seen some going for as high as $28k. That is actually very little depreciation. With some bolt on parts I get 23.8 mpg on the flats, 18 towing a boat and around 13.5 towing a trailer. My Lexus 6 cylinder gets around 25-26 but requires premium gas. Diesel costs less than regular here.

Tires and oil changes and a few other things cost more in a truck, but they last a long time. There is room for everything and every one. My truck can haul more than 2 Subarus.

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
delete

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:

Walmart...the generic cheap white stuff that plugs up your colon and probably contains sawdust..........You must be buying that al la en-vogue artisan craftwork foofoo bread lol. If that's the case, grow a set and eat mans bread. Save the $1 a loaf and in about 65000 weeks you can buy a new terrible truck.

OK, I am cracking up!!!!

I LOVE "terrible trucks" - either diesel or something with a tuned exhaust. There's nothing you can't do with a truck (except park in certain parking ramps). We usually buy a 2-yr old model and let someone else take that depreciation whack - but I can't imagine not having one.

Regarding people buying trucks or anything else that's "above their means": there's always going to be those folks: nothing you say will change their minds. "Not my circus; not my monkeys"
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!