cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing of disabled Class C and pick up with camper

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve heard somewhere that it is best to tow a class C or a pick-up with a camper from the front end only. Reasoning wasโ€ฆ if towed from rear, the weight that would be placed on front end is way over it's limits. I canโ€™t find anything in my ownerโ€™s manual about towing when disabled front end or back end.

Is this true and have you seen it written?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
17 REPLIES 17

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
And here we are another 7 months later and there's still not 1 word, or $1 either, from the nice folks at GS RSA who seemed sooooooo concerned.

Que the crickets............

Surprised?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
And here we are another 7 months later and there's still not 1 word, or $1 either, from the nice folks at GS RSA who seemed sooooooo concerned.

Que the crickets............

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
So as a follow up.... because someone asked.

Shortly after my above post I was (see above post by GS) prompted by a GS CS Rep to contact them by PM which I did giving all the details of the (now 4 years ago) incident. Days later I get a VM message saying โ€˜the only thing we can find is like 4 years ago.... can you give us more detail?โ€™.

Still nothing.........

Same as the last 4 years........

They still have my money........

I donโ€™t .............

Thanks David.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
A knowledgeable tow operator would make sure of three things if a flat bed wasn't feasible for a rear axle damaged vehicle. First, he would make sure his underlift stinger could reach in past any added frame extensions on a Class C, or an overhang on a TC. Ideally, he can do an axle lift, but a frame lift is the only option sometimes. Second, after securing the tow, he'd makes sure the steering wheel was lashed securely to keep the wheels straight. And third, he'd tow as low as practical to minimize the weight shift to the front. Oh, and if it's a 4WD, he'd make sure the transfer case is in neutral or disconnect the front drive shaft of course. It's really no different than back towing any heavily loaded truck.

Dutch,

While the plan may be good for a small Class B or a short TC, there is not a wheel lift out there that will pick up any typical RV from the rear.
In my current crowd (Old GMCs), we have to know a lot about this, they have to go by wheel lift and it better be a 4500# capable wheel lift. That, a Landol or a really low bed roll back that is 12K# capable. Road service plans don't like us very much.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The most common reason I towed trucks from the back was rear end damage severe enough that the rear wheels couldn't be used. There's no way to front tow a truck that has the rear axle ripped loose from the frame for instance. Depending on the situation, a suitable flat bed was not always available or needed, and even if one was, it would still often require having a stinger or boom lift truck on scene anyway, to assist with loading the downed vehicle by lifting the rear up. A front tow was always preferred of course, just not always possible.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had our 1991 Class C towed. Good Sam saved the day. Guy knew his business. Front wheels up.

He said there is a rule he had to follow or get in trouble about disconnecting under the MH or not, depending on some distance and speeds IIRC. Can't remember the figures.

The garage was only a mile from the campground on local roads, so he didn't have to disconnect under the rules, and we were near garage closing time. (The MH needed a new starter). No problems.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™ll hazard a guess the time youโ€™ll never see either towed backwards unless absolutely necessary (rear axle locked up or similar ). Makes no sense to lift the heavy end when you can tow it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Statement makes NO sense to me since the most common method of towing these days is a wheel lift. Thus the weight distribution would be about the same as goind down a steep grade, and I do that 2x a year (Well two trips a year several times a trip)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
path1 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
GS Road Service towed my class C from the front after breaking down in a snow storm.

If only the tow operator had removed the driveshaft first I wouldnโ€™t have ended up with a $7k bill for a new transmission, but hey, it wasnโ€™t his money, and he finished his day warm and dry not having to slide under my coach to drop the driveline.

Most expensive roadside assistance plan Iโ€™ve ever had.........

Hey Marcus, do they do that to YOUR ride too?

OP here...exactly why I want to get some written info.

JAXDAD I bet you don't see a dime, not that you are not entitled to it if someone didn't follow directions.

I presume youโ€™re just trying to be funny.

If someone is grossly negligent and hides the fact from the injured party they are liable for the damage caused. Thatโ€™s why businesses have insurance.

In this case a subcontractor to a subcontractor says we have no contract with you, the person I contracted with says it was a subcontractor.not us, weโ€™re not liable.

Must really help the profits.........

path1
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
GS Road Service towed my class C from the front after breaking down in a snow storm.

If only the tow operator had removed the driveshaft first I wouldnโ€™t have ended up with a $7k bill for a new transmission, but hey, it wasnโ€™t his money, and he finished his day warm and dry not having to slide under my coach to drop the driveline.

OP here...exactly why I want to get some written info.

JAXDAD I bet you don't see a dime, not that you are not entitled to it if someone didn't follow directions.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

GSRoadsideAssis
Explorer
Explorer
Hello JaxDad,

Thank you for your time and post. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with us. Please send a PM to us so that we can look into this further for you.

Thanks,

David
Good Sam

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Had to have my TC towed one time and asked the driver about towing with front on ground. He said there was no way - it's just too unstable.
It ended up being flat-bedded.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
A knowledgeable tow operator would make sure of three things if a flat bed wasn't feasible for a rear axle damaged vehicle. First, he would make sure his underlift stinger could reach in past any added frame extensions on a Class C, or an overhang on a TC. Ideally, he can do an axle lift, but a frame lift is the only option sometimes. Second, after securing the tow, he'd makes sure the steering wheel was lashed securely to keep the wheels straight. And third, he'd tow as low as practical to minimize the weight shift to the front. Oh, and if it's a 4WD, he'd make sure the transfer case is in neutral or disconnect the front drive shaft of course. It's really no different than back towing any heavily loaded truck.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate