cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tv antennas blowing off

gjohnston77
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2017 passport travel trailer in October 2016. On its first trip the saucer shaped tv antenna blew off driving down the highway at about 60kph. Keystone refused to repair and it cost me 387 dollars at the dealer where I purchased it from. Keystones reason for not repair was incidental damage. This occurred in April 2017. I drove across Canada in the summer and on my return trip it blew off again on 22 august near Quebec City. I am taking it in again to the dealer and am told this has never happened before. I am expecting resistance about who pays for the re and re. Has anyone out there had similar problems. I can't believe I am the only one.
16 REPLIES 16

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
I would change the antenna. I have a dome Rayzar Automatic antenna and I really like it.

SoundGuy wrote:
Would like to ask - by any chance is your Winegard Rayzar Automatic a replacement for a Winegard Sensar IV and if so do you find it as sensitive as the IV as Winegard claims?

ncrowley wrote:
I cannot compare the two antennas since I have not used the two types of antennas in the same place and compared the signals. All I can tell you is that so far, it has found plenty of stations in the places we have used it and the picture quality is very good.

"Picture quality" has nothing to do with the type of antenna receiving the signal. Rather, I'd like to establish whether the Rayzar Automatic is comparable to the Sensar IV in terms of signal sensitivity. Certainly the Rayzar would be more convenient but if it's sensitivity isn't on par with what is arguably the best out there in RV OTA antennas, the Sensar IV, then I'd not make the switch, especially considering how pricey the Rayzar is. Thanks for reply though. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
ncrowley wrote:
I would change the antenna. I have a dome Rayzar Automatic antenna and I really like it. I do not have the crank it up and down or position it once it is up.

Would like to ask - by any chance is your Winegard Rayzar Automatic a replacement for a Winegard Sensar IV and if so do you find it as sensitive as the IV as Winegard claims? Despite the Rayzar's substantial cost I'm interested, if for no other reason than it's annoying having to continually rotate my IV's head to receive stations transmitting from different directions.

I cannot compare the two antennas since I have not used the two types of antennas in the same place and compared the signals. All I can tell you is that so far, it has found plenty of stations in the places we have used it and the picture quality is very good. Before the Rayzar, we had one where you pushed a button to have it go up and then you pushed another set of buttons to have it turn to get the best signal. The old one would not go down half the time and I had to get on the roof and push it down. We replaced it with the Rayzar and the installation was easy. We are very pleased with the Rayzar.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:
I wish you could opt out of a TV antenna. I don't generally watch TV when camping anyways and would prefer to not have yet another protrusion into my roof.

You can, but most folks do not know that. At least if you are buying NEW you can.

That said though I would not recommend it... Here is why

With the new "Digital" TV broadcasts (New since 2007) in most markets at least one "Tier 2" "Channel" (like 4-3) is weather Forcasts And Radar enabling you to live track storms in the area.. IF no other channel that one is good.. Often plays decent music in the background so long as the talking head is not yammering. (Weather guy from Station).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish you could opt out of a TV antenna. I don't generally watch TV when camping anyways and would prefer to not have yet another protrusion into my roof.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
I would change the antenna. I have a dome Rayzar Automatic antenna and I really like it. I do not have the crank it up and down or position it once it is up.

Would like to ask - by any chance is your Winegard Rayzar Automatic a replacement for a Winegard Sensar IV and if so do you find it as sensitive as the IV as Winegard claims? Despite the Rayzar's substantial cost I'm interested, if for no other reason than it's annoying having to continually rotate my IV's head to receive stations transmitting from different directions.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have only seen one of those "Flying Saucers" come off and .. Well it took a lot more than going down the highway (The story at end of this post)

I would not replace that type of antenna with a like type. I'd go with a Winegard Sensar IV.. There is a reason for this. Several in fact.

First the Sensar line when cranked down is very "Flat" not much chance of anythign snagging it and ripping it off (See story) 2nd it is the BEST rv TV antenna, that flying saucer.. Well likely the WORST RV Tv antenna. Bar none in both cases.

The story
Brand new class C with one of those parked beside me. First time in the RV, I had to show the owner which keys fit which locks on the door (Same locks I have). Sticker still in the window they had flown in and the dealer picked 'em up at the airport and handed them the keys to their new "house".

They went to dinner down the road. the sign on the parking structure said the ceiling was high enough for the RIG but the Pipe.. Hangs LOWER than the number painted on it.. Went right in UNDER that saucer. Ripped it clean off, flew up and landed on the vent cover for the bathroom vent. SMASH.

And the sticker was still in the window.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While I am not fond of my omni antenna, it is fastened quite well. It has a couple screws going into the stem of the mushroom to hold it. Even if the screws came out, you would need to turn/unlock the head from the base, before it will lift off. It works quite well for tv reception when fairly close to towers. It doubles as an FM radio antenna, which works great.

I use a Jack antenna on a mast, fastened to my ladder, when I need better distant reception.

Jerry

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I do not think I will be buying one of that type..Sounds like they do not travel well..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Wow sounds like a very poor design. Keystone should be ashamed of themselves for not covering this issue. Now that it has happened twice they should pay for the first unit as well
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

gjohnston77
Explorer
Explorer
The first time it blew off I actually heard it come off and then hit the highway . I went back and got it and took it to the dealer. The second time I couldn't stop it was a busy freeway. The post it was mounted on remained both times attached to the roof and all that was visible both times was about on foot of wire sticking up from the middle of the post. It is basically a flying saucer.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Are you actually seeing it blow off as you travel down the road? Were you able to stop and retrieve it?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
But you don't have the inconvenience of cranking it up and down. ??

I can see that putting an umbrella on the roof is asking for trouble. Depending on other protrusions, the wind currents might give that umbrella quite a workout. If that is an omnidirectional antenna, it would be a good time to invest in a real one.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I installed one of the round omni-directional antennas on a Class C roof, I used "Molly" expansion anchors and screws to mount it on the rubber covered thin Luan. The Molly "footprint" under the plywood is much larger, preventing the screws from pulling out.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate