cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

used trailer buyer needs advice

TheLostOne
Explorer
Explorer
I know if i buy a used unit i will save since someone else took the depreciation, but how old is too old to be buying. When is a trailer worn out. I know you get what you pay for so i am not looking at poor quality trailers. What age of trailer should i be looking at ?
10 REPLIES 10

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Look at higher quality trailers when you are looking at used ones. One that you might want to look at are the Evergreen Everlites - the older ones that were build without wood. I had one and it was very well made.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

elkhornsun
Explorer
Explorer
Tatest - check the posts from people with problems with the axles and shackle mounts on some trailers. This is bad design and fatigue from use. The trailers were fine initially but over time the lack of strength became evident.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have had a lot of experience with travel trailers, and you are satisfied that you good do a perfect inspection by yourself, I would say go for it, but I would never take any one elses saying that a particular trailer is a good buy
When we traded our last trailer, it was in mint condition, and whoever got it got a good buy. The only reason we traded is we wanted one a few feet longer with a sofa.
We made out on the trade too. It was a brand new trailer that had a tree limb fall on the roof and tear the rubber and they just finished replacing it.
We got it for half price.

Good luck.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Except for axle bearings and brakes, I don't really think towable RVs "wear out." So age doesn't matter that much, condition matters. That will depend more on how well it was taken care of, and how stored when not in use.

It is not unusual to find 10 year old TTs in almost new condition, seldom used and stored under shelter. 20 to 60 years old, the really great ones are rare finds, but they exist (we have at least three in that age range, in our RV club).

It is quite possible, however, for a TT to be coming apart at 3 to 5 years, if it got wet inside, particularly if it stayed wet inside.

However, there may not be much difference in price, beyond 10 years, if a TT is in really great condition. The market recognizes a floor on depreciation, a residual value that comes of something being of useful service. And when RVs get really old, they can become expensive classics, even collectible.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
It also depends a good deal on the manufacturer. I would be more confident buying a used Airstream trailer than many others. Research at irv2.com the owners of various makes and the problems they have encountered. Some trailers have had structural and fatigue problems where the axles are fastened to the base of the trailer. Others may be more prone to leaks and the structural damage this can cause.

Replacing a fridge or hot water heater is trivial compared to fixing a structural defect or similarly damaged trailer. The problems with a given model and year may have been corrected and not present in later years production or the reverse may have occured.

For future resale there are brands like Jayco where people are more likely to be interested in buying your trailer when you decide to sell it.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Lost,

To get a handle that will mess up your calibration, go the a Tin Can Tourist rally. There will be lots of beautiful old stuff there. The one theme you will hear all though it is "Leaking Water Damage". With Towables, that is all that matters. Everything else is a cosmetic fix.

So, look at everything that you can find to look at. Don't let age get in the way. Don't go for cheap. But, no matter what else you hear or see, if you detect water damage from leakage, back away. Even if the current owner says he fix it, if he didn't repair the visible damage then he was not confident of the repair.

Most 5ers, TT, TCs and many MH are a wooden stick framework with aluminum sheet tacked on it. When water leaks in that framework begins to rot. It can be repaired, but it is not simple.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

TXcampingfamily
Explorer
Explorer
When we were in the market for our first unit I thought the big expense would be appliance repair/replacement (water heater, frig, etc.) However, the real killer is water damage. When looking at a trailer look for any signs of water leaks (stains, air bubbles, etc.). You can also gently push in these areas and listen for a crunching sound. That sound means dry rot. That can easily run around $1000 or more to repair depending on the location and how far it has gone. My message to you is if you see any signs of water damage or leaks do not buy it. Even if they repaired the place where it leaked, the damage is done and it will eventually dry rot in that location.
Gin & Mike + 2 TD (tax deductions)
2009 Fleetwood Fiesta Bunkhouse
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
A TT is a lot easier to pick than a MH. Under the worst possible condition you can even replace an axle at a reasonable price. On a MH the drive train is very expensive. Water leaks are the real killer on anything in the RV world. Most things in a TT are much more visible to your eye so it makes a much easier purchase. If it doesn't leak water and everything works you are set to go.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

terry2425
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1997 24' Fleetwood Mallard. We bought it used about three years ago after looking at a lot of used trailers. It was dirty but not abused. We got it cleaned up and everything worked great. We spent a couple of years upgrading the inside; new oak floor, counter top, sink, faucet, table, wallpaper borders, curtains and new shower walls. Its just as nice as a new one and the best thing is it's paid for. We do maintenance twice a year so we don't have any problems. The only two things I've had to fix was a hot water heater control box and a fridge control module.

To make a long story short, the are some really nice older trailers out there if your careful what you buy.

Terry
Terry, Hannah and Chen Ning (Wife's Not a Camper)
2005 Ford F350 FX4 Offroad Crew Cab Shortbed 6.0 Diesel 6 Speed Manual
1997 Fleetwood Mallard 24J "The Man Cave"
Itโ€™s not a travel trailer but a camp trailer for the boon toolies!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly depends on what type of maintenance and care previous owners gave it.

Some trailers 10 years old are in better shape than 3 year old.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"