cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using RV portable tote tanks

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking for a solution to grey water tank filling up quickly and just found out about the Camco Rhino and similar tote tanks (thanks to this forum!). These seem like the perfect solution... The only problem is that the inlet on these portable totes is 13.5" or so (depending on size) and the outlet on my camper is around 10." The actual grey water tank itself is much higher than 13.5," so I'm hoping that it should drain into the portable tank without too much of an issue, and once I get it drained and close the gate valve, that a little would be left in the hose, which I would then just lift it up and flow it down into the tank. I will only be doing grey water, never black, so if I lose a little on the ground, I'm not overly concerned.

Does this sound about right? Or am I going to have some major issues with this? I know I could also lift the rear tires or dig a hole, etc... But I'm hoping I could avoid this. Hopefully some of you have some real world experience using these in this way.

Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
They have some smaller totes that are low profile, but you should be fine with your idea. Your at the campgeound allready, but i would test it out first. I got one that leaked bad and couldn't be tightened up easily. And there not cheap so i sent it back. Good luck.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
GravelRider wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and bought the 36 gallon Rhino. We got to the campground last night, so I'll report back how it goes.

It would be quite difficult to raise the outlet. If I were to go through all that, I'd just the the trailer to the dump station.

Hope it works out well for you.

If your rig/setup is a pain to raise then then its prob more trouble then its worth.

Mine TT takes about two minutes. 30 sec each front stabilizer, 30 sec on tongue jack and a minute to walk around doing it. Well worth it in my situation.

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and bought the 36 gallon Rhino. We got to the campground last night, so I'll report back how it goes.

It would be quite difficult to raise the outlet. If I were to go through all that, I'd just the the trailer to the dump station.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 32 gallon Barker and use it all the time. Our local county park has no sewer at the campsites, so I tow the tote five minutes to the dump station. Yes, I have used it for both grey and black water. Black first, then hose wash with grey.

I have the same situation as far as height. The tote's top inlet is a bit higher then the RV's tank outlet. I do use a regular slinky hose but you need one with two female ends just for this purpose.

You can do what you suggest. Back the tote up to the outlet port as close as possible and rest the hose on the tote. After the tank is drained you can close the valve. Lower the hose until it touches the ground before you disconnect it from the RV. It doesn't overflow because the hose will be long enough. Then lift the end up and the gray water will drain into the tote.

What I found really works is this:
My tank outlet pipe is in the rear of the travel trailer.
I raise the front stabilizer jacks and then drop the tongue with the jack (retract) as low as it will go.

The TT pivots on the axles and raises the rear end up. It gets the tank outlet almost level with the tote.

Perhaps this will work for you to depending where your tank outlet is located. Can you raise or lower the outlet port at all with your RV leveling method?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Thetford SmartTote2 LX 27 gallon 4-wheel tote that works well with our 27 gallon waste tanks. It has a short built in hose and a level indicator, and can also be used with standard waste hoses if needed. With 4 wheels, there's no need for any "heavy lifting" to hook it for towing to the dump station.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Barker 32 gal tote , can use regular sewer hose with it.

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your advice and recommendations everyone!

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
My "tote" is a 30 gallon barrel mounted in the truck bed. I fill it with a macerator pump and drain it through a 1-1/2" gate valve & sump pump hose. You could use a cheap HF 12V marine pump but it's slower to fill.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one last year on my journey across the US & back. Wanted a 30 gal but could only find a 21 gal. So, purchased that. And I got a real shock when I filled it and tried to hook it to the truck... just an estimate of 8# to a gal, 21 gal x 8 lbs... oops! Kind neighbor helped me. Next trip was 1/2 tank. I couldn't get the one with 4 wheels, but if I ever had to purchase aother one, it will definitely have the 4 wheels. The garden hose for the grey water is a great idea.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Once you fill the tote what are you going to do with the contents?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with the Barker tote with the pneumatic tires. It has a popup indicator to tell you when it's getting full. I've hauled black and gray water many many times with no issues. And I use the regular sewer hose to connect to it. And you are correct - when full, disconnect from the camper and let gravity drain the hose contents into the tank. I do use gloves if the black tank needs drained - which is not often. I was fooled by the sensors when I was a newbie.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Use a garden hose adapter on the RV so when you close the valve the water can drain out. There will be very minimal unhramful gray water left in the hose. Don’t use the large stinky slinky. You will have a mess when it gets near the top!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!