cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Van Conversion

nlewis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering buying a camper van conversion on craigslist. My question is would it be cheaper to buy a van that has already been converted to a camper or to buy used van and hire someone to build the cabinets, flooring, fantastic van, insulation etc. we want to be below 16,000. We would like the vehicle to be as stealth as possible as we be parking in the city. I prefer Ford Cargo Vans.

Should be go the buy used ban rout would the next step be find a contractor or would it be carpenter? We really prefer to hire someone to do the work and have it done right.
8 REPLIES 8

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I've seen a couple home made van conversions and they're not what is call comfortable. I mean, I'll spend a week sleeping in my snowmachine trailer on a cot while hunting, or go backpacking, but for a seemingly permanent abode, some plywood, a solar shower, lawn chair and a therma rest mattress isn't what I'd call relaxing after work day after day.
Jsit food for thought.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Given the choice, I'd start with a sprinter type chassis. Then you have the headroom.
But think about what it will take to make it comfortable. If you want a shower then you'll want a sink/tanks/pump, etc. Heat? If you have heat then what about a stove if you have propane? See where this is going? Gotta be pretty handy if you're going to build all this and have it be functional.
Look in the TC section, guy wanting to dump his camper. Could find a camper and gut out all the good stuff out of it. I would feel comfortable with this kind of project, but IMO, it's not worth the time and money compared to something pre engineered and constructed.
What kind of plumbing/electrical/carpentry experience do you have? Garage full of tools, power and hand tools?
Judging by your posts, this seems like it would be a huge task just to appear incognito.
You gonna black out all the windows or just sit in the dark? I don't see this being really practical. Just get a pickup and TC. Much easier IMO and stealth is overrated. I mean if a cop is worried about you living in it, you'll look like you're living in a van to the trained eye.

nlewis
Explorer
Explorer
All the responses were really helpful. It looks like 16k is to small a budget. I saw a cargo van conversion of 11k. I originally thought it was too much but now I have a different opinion. However if I spend 20k on a van plus having it built out I would still be coming up ahead of buying 80k new or like new class B. We plan to just use the van Mon - Friday as a commuter living situation. I plan to park it on the streets and sleep in it which is why I want it to look as much like a worker van as possible. I don't need the high end stuff just nice floor, shower, cabinets and installation. I see now that the really nice conversion vans I see on youtube had some major money put in them. Im going for the composting toilet so that should drop the price.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
nlewis wrote:
I'm considering buying a camper van conversion on craigslist. My question is would it be cheaper to buy a van that has already been converted to a camper or to buy used van and hire someone to build the cabinets, flooring, fantastic van, insulation etc. we want to be below 16,000. We would like the vehicle to be as stealth as possible as we be parking in the city. I prefer Ford Cargo Vans.

Should be go the buy used ban rout would the next step be find a contractor or would it be carpenter? We really prefer to hire someone to do the work and have it done right.

It depends what you want in a camper van, all the bells and whistles or just a van to camp and travel in. I took a cargo van and made it into a simple but comfortable camping and traveling RV with a double bed and cabinet with some nice storage and a port potty and used a ice chest.
In two or three years Im thinking of doing this again with one of the new mid height vans so I can stand up in it and for a easy way to travel, don't need all the bells and whistles.
J herb

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No way it's cheaper apples to apples to hire out a conversion. More than likely not even cheaper to do it yourself.
And at $16k budget, no sense spending a bunch of $ to convert a clapped out old van. Depending what you want to do, you could eat up half that budget in materials and appliances/furnishings.
Find one built out. Better bang for the buck.

And if you're just talking a conversion van and not really a class b, then it may be tough to find one less than 20years old. They went out with Cyndi Lauper, Hair bands and parachute pants!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most commercial van conversions aren't very stealthy.

Would it be cheaper to buy already converted? That depends on the asking price. I've had friends who have bought very old, high mileage camper conversions under $5000. Vans from the early 1990s for sale today have asking prices ranging from $3500 to $20,000 (those at the upper end were probably over $80,000 when new).

How much it would cost to buy a used cargo van and have the work done depends on that van market and just how much you want done. A used 10-15 year old E-250 with over 200,000 miles sells here for about $6000, a five year old van with that mileage about $9,000 while a 2011 E-250 with less than 100K miles runs $15,000 dollars. Demand for usable E-series vans has become quite high since Ford stopped making them.

Then there is the cost of conversion, which depends just how much you want to put into it. Typical camper conversions from shops that specialize in this (like Sportsmobile, but there are many smaller shops) put about $30,000 materials and labor into a RV-quality conversion (e.g. includes bathroom and cooking facilities). If just cabinets, beds, some seating, and windows with screens, you might design a minimalist package in the $12,000 - $20,000 price range (Sportsmobile has component by component price lists on their web site).

There are enough van conversion companies out there, I would not consider looking for a carpenter who might not have the experience to plan a conversion that will fit your living needs. Look into Sportsmobile, Van Specialities, Craftsman Vans, GTRV for experienced builders.

I don't think you are going to get anywhere near $16,000 even if you started with a $5000 cargo van and found a really inexpensive contractor. There are possibilities for DIY, if you don't really need cabinet work, and can find used fixtures. There are a number of sources for DIY information, from building slide-in packages all the way down to "turn your minivan into a camper using old milk crates.

But $16,000 can probably get you a fairly nice 20 year old B motorhome.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tell you what those ROADTREKs sure look nice... Perfect for two people...

I have to drive Ms Daisy here to do her shopping and all. I get to spend some time in the WALMART and FOOD LION parking lots waiting on momabear..

Playing with my Ham Radios and listening to the Internet Radio Scanners...

I see alot of the ROADTREKs come into the WALMART places around here.. Been wanting to go look inside one but haven't got the nerve up yet to go ask haha.. I see them on the goggle search but much nicer to see in person...

I guess I have never really figured out what the Stealth RV is all about... All sounds kinda illegal things going on to me...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are better off buying something that has been converted. Even if it needs a little work, everything will be in place and only need repaired/modified.

Look at Class B units, or even a small Class C.