cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to do within the week before 1st trip

SDRS
Explorer
Explorer
Need tips on what we need to do within the week before our 1st trip. Husband just wants to get the trailer out of storage Friday, throw our bags in and leave--I know we'll need more time than that, and I'm sure there are things I won't even think of that need to be done/brought.

Maintenance-wise we just got it all 'summer-ized', new tires, and various mechanical things done to it.
:h
39 REPLIES 39

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Well, if he's not listening to you, he sure as hell won't listen to a bunch of strangers on a web forum.

That's pretty funny

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
We have storage and full hookups at home for our MOHO. So, we leave it stocked except for food stuffs that get used pretty quickly. I have one of those big utility wagons and I use it to haul things to the MOHO. I think that wagon is one of the best things I ever bought. I pile it full and only make a couple of trips to load up.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
I would love to have 2 of everything we need for the RV trips, minus the clothes and food. For some reason we move half the kitchen to the coach for every trip. This wasn't such a big deal when we could put the motor home in the driveway, but in the condo we need to leave the coach at the storage facility and make runs from house to bus. I think I counted 7 trips, but it's also the first trip of the season.

Another issue is that the storage yard is not open on Sunday or Monday. If I'm getting back or leaving on those days of the week I can leave the coach outside the fence and load/unload, but it is a hassle.

I'd like to get to the point where we make one trip to between house and bus with food, clothes and bedding.

We used thrift shops, Salvation Army stores, Goodwill, yard sales, etc. to equip our RV. I have an unmatched set of All-Clad SS cookware that I have put together for the RV that was purchased at different times (thus, unmatched) for about $25. The other kitchen gadgets were purchased the same way. It didn't break the bank and we have everything we need. I even have a couple of crockpots that live in the RV, also purchased at a garage sale for $2 and $4 each.

We went to Ikea and stocked the RV that way. For tools, I went to harbor freight.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like our 5th wheel sitting in front of the house for very long and driving the neighbors nuts, so we tend to stage everything. We bring the trailer from storage 24 hours before a trip to get the fridge cold and do any prep. Repairs/maintenance that may delay a trip always get done in advance but little stuff may happen while loading.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I would love to have 2 of everything we need for the RV trips, minus the clothes and food. For some reason we move half the kitchen to the coach for every trip. This wasn't such a big deal when we could put the motor home in the driveway, but in the condo we need to leave the coach at the storage facility and make runs from house to bus. I think I counted 7 trips, but it's also the first trip of the season.

Another issue is that the storage yard is not open on Sunday or Monday. If I'm getting back or leaving on those days of the week I can leave the coach outside the fence and load/unload, but it is a hassle.

I'd like to get to the point where we make one trip to between house and bus with food, clothes and bedding.

We used thrift shops, Salvation Army stores, Goodwill, yard sales, etc. to equip our RV. I have an unmatched set of All-Clad SS cookware that I have put together for the RV that was purchased at different times (thus, unmatched) for about $25. The other kitchen gadgets were purchased the same way. It didn't break the bank and we have everything we need. I even have a couple of crockpots that live in the RV, also purchased at a garage sale for $2 and $4 each.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Spend a night in it at home and make a list of everything u wish u had, or went inside to get
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Spend first night at Super Walmart.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Start making lists on your computer and before each trip print them out and it takes no thinking of what to do. Make a list for clothes, food, things to do to your house before you leave (hold mail, newspapers, take care of heat, air conditioner, water, etc.) With each trip build and refine your list and it will soon be very easy to prepare for a trip.

For meals plan what you want to have; possibly premake some things and freeze them - makes it easy. Once you get a meal in your mind, think of what you'll need to prepare it. Gradually, keep duplicates in your RV ready to go. Pick them up cheaply at thrift shops, garage sales, etc.

Since he just wants to throw the bag in and go, let him do it the first trip and he'll soon figure out what he forgot. He needs to make his own separate list.

Good luck... and what you forgot there's probably a WalMart nearby.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Get the fridge running as soon as possible. And remember that Walmart is just about everywhere. I almost always have a shopping list started the first night out for the season.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
For some reason we move half the kitchen to the coach for every trip.
Start picking up souvenir cooking items along the road.

Makes the RV that much more interesting. We have found it quite an adventure to find half or 3/4 size items for the RV instead of the full size equipment at home.

Yes. We did this for our 6 month on the road adventure 2 winters ago. We found that the smaller appliances work better in our everyday lives and move those things home now.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
Since our MH sits on the driveway beside the house, we're in and out of it quite often. Matter of fact, I don't even winterize it. I just keep some small heaters on in the places that need it.

But, getting ready for the first trip is pretty easy for us. Just throw in some clothes, a few groceries and go. It pretty much stays stocked year round. We also have cookware and dishes that stay in the MH.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
For some reason we move half the kitchen to the coach for every trip.
Start picking up souvenir cooking items along the road.

Makes the RV that much more interesting. We have found it quite an adventure to find half or 3/4 size items for the RV instead of the full size equipment at home.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Short trip we just pack the car, swap stuff at the storage lot and roll. Leaving the car in storage.

Long trip we might take most of the stuff over the weekend before. Then repeat the above on travel day.

If something needs attended to we already did that shortly after the last trip.

It is not camping if you don't forget anything. Some of the best adventures are finding what you need along the journey.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like this is your first trip out so congratulations!
I'm an advance planner so my first camping trip I downloaded packing lists I found on the 'net and took about 5 days to set up leisurely and accurately.
Saved us from being the "Bickersons Go on Vacation";).
Having done this once every camping trip after was just a matter of replenishing the inventory of take-alongs and making an up to date camp food menu. .