cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to buy LP gas?

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I bought our first motorhome last fall and I'm curious where most people with built in LP tanks get them filled. We live in a rural area and none of the propane dealers around here are willing to fill a built in tank.
31 REPLIES 31

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Well, let's see...
Locally, Big R stores, Tractor Supply, U-Haul, Amerigas, Flying J, Bretz Rv, Pierce RV, and others.
ALL propane dealers sell by the metered gallon, using temperature compensated and calibration checked meters as required by state law.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double Post- Delete please.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Large RV dealers with a large service department sometimes have Propane refill available. My local one does and does a brisk business on the weekends refilling tanks. I even take my 20 lb ones up to refill as I don't like trading in my tanks anymore until they get some age on them.

Actually used to trade all the time and got stuck with one that was over 10yo that the place that gave it to me (local) wouldn't take it back the next year when I finally emptied it (It turned over the course of about 5 months). I was top ten ever ticked off!
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
I always just get mine at campgrounds. It's often not the cheapest place but I use such a small amount that I'm more interested in convenience than cost.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Exchanges appear to have good prices partly because exchange tanks are filled to 15# rather than 20#. ....Tanks are typically out of date often by many years and they are not marked as recertified. No one will fill them later on.
The exchanges I see appear to have outrageous prices. $20 as opposed to a $12 fill.

Most places I go to will fill them, I've only found one in So cal who wouldn't. Yes, I was taken by surprise to find almost all the tanks are old... over 10 years old. I'm sure that's intentional.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the years it has become more difficult to find places that refill propane tanks. The cost of equipment and regulations make exchanges more attractive. In addition places doing refills need a trained individual who is available to leave the store or gas station for a relatively low profit service.

Nearby exchanges make it even more difficult. Exchanges appear to have good prices partly because exchange tanks are filled to 15# rather than 20#. In my area there is another big issue with exchanges but the casual customer rarely notices. Tanks are typically out of date often by many years and they are not marked as recertified. No one will fill them later on. A also had a couple of cases where the tanks leaked.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I need to be careful about going to Iowa. In most of the rest of the middle of the country I've found retail LPG dealers quite willing to fill, although wholesale locations may not always have a technician on site. Most of my fills have been at RV parks; for KOA, I think the service may be a franchise requirement. Locally, I have a LPG retailer at a gas station between my house and the campground at the lake.

On the road generally, Flying J travel stops often have a RV lane with dump station and LPG fill.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
3 pages on propane stores.....lol.
And OP is nowhere to be found.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 pages on propane stores.....lol.
Yes, can be a little issue to find sometimes, but not becasue there's nowhere to get propane, but if a place is out of it, or if you have old tanks like I do, and some places actually check if they have < 10 year certification or mfg date.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I found the most convenient place to get propane is Flying J,because I stop there for gas anyway and there prices are OK. The most expensive places are GC's but also convenient. Uhaul for local fill ups. I found TS stores to have the cheapest propane but not all stores will fill a Class A tank. These are harder to find while traveling but there web site tells which ones sell propane and a phone call to that store to make sure they fill Class A's(least convenient).

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Can be a problem. We start looking way before empty and go ahead and fill if it's less than half, if a place is convenient. Also, ask the campground host or manager. They always know. Or, if you have a smart phone it may tell you. A full tank will last us 4-5 weeks of continuous so not a big issue.
Jayco-noslide

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Around here, many hardware stores sell propane, as does Agway and Tractor Supply, and most of them will fill RV tanks as well as barbecue cylinders. Note that by "hardware store" I don't mean Home Depot or Lowes (in this case).

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Since OP isn't answering, is it possible they only fill by weight?

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
AmeriGas will fill RV tanks, but I found some places where there's no one who can do it at the location all day. I've had to catch a driver at the end of a day.

AllStays app is useful finding propane on the road. Just don't use their GPS.